• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Change in my boy's usually scatty behaviour

Hello

My boy, Dug, is a beautiful black lop whose behaviour has always been what I can only describe as 'scatty' as most of the time when I or my partner try to come near to say 'hi' or stroke him he just scoots off quickly and does his independent thing exploring the garden, going through the tunnels and chinning everything in sight (as well as eating his food!!). Dug is bonded with my girl, Andee, by the way and we adopted them from RSPCA last year in May.

Tonight, however, my partner raised the concern that he 'wasn't himself' as he was just sat in one of the litter trays and he was actually letting us stroke him without moving a muscle. There have been times when we've been able to stroke him but it has always been on his terms (meaning he will let us stroke him for a little bit before scooting off). Tonight, though, he just looks like he is feeling sorry for himself and Andee has been licking him and sniffing around him as if to say 'What's up with you?!'.

My partner said he has been like this only once before (which I don't remember to be honest) but Dug was then fine in the morning. I picked Dug up and took him into the kitchen with my partner to check him over and I can't see anything obviously wrong. He has since moved around a bit and been cleaning himself but he has not been running around like he usually does.

I'm thinking of seeing how he is in the morning and if he seems the same I will take him the vets tomorrow???

I presume that Dug is still eating as much as normal and also producing poo? If you are still concerned in the morning I would take him for a check up at the vets. Hope all goes well.

Hello

My boy, Dug, is a beautiful black lop whose behaviour has always been what I can only describe as 'scatty' as most of the time when I or my partner try to come near to say 'hi' or stroke him he just scoots off quickly and does his independent thing exploring the garden, going through the tunnels and chinning everything in sight (as well as eating his food!!). Dug is bonded with my girl, Andee, by the way and we adopted them from RSPCA last year in May.

Tonight, however, my partner raised the concern that he 'wasn't himself' as he was just sat in one of the litter trays and he was actually letting us stroke him without moving a muscle. There have been times when we've been able to stroke him but it has always been on his terms (meaning he will let us stroke him for a little bit before scooting off). Tonight, though, he just looks like he is feeling sorry for himself and Andee has been licking him and sniffing around him as if to say 'What's up with you?!'.

My partner said he has been like this only once before (which I don't remember to be honest) but Dug was then fine in the morning. I picked Dug up and took him into the kitchen with my partner to check him over and I can't see anything obviously wrong. He has since moved around a bit and been cleaning himself but he has not been running around like he usually does.

I'm thinking of seeing how he is in the morning and if he seems the same I will take him the vets tomorrow???

It's a little bit worrying, I agree.

Could he have injured one of his feet/legs, and doesn't want to put weight on it?

What about eating and drinking - is that all normal?

To be honest, unless he seems 100% fit in the morning, I should definitely take him for a check up. Vets can spot things that we just don't notice, and come up with a reason and solution :)

Back