• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sticky bum ....best food

emmaclaire

Warren Scout
Hi I have a 2yr old mini lop male who has excess amounts of soft grapes style poo...I have him on harringtons optimum and rabbit royal small amount twice daley half of each mixed in small bowl he has lots of hay and greens about 3times a week ,he also has run of garden wether permitting . Just wondered if anyone with this problem recommend a food thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It sounds like he is getting too much Muesli/pellets. 1 tspn full of each per day should be more than enough. Your veg sounds to be ok. Hope this helps.

I agree. Always best to consider reducing pellets / commercial food. Frances Harcourt Brown believes this to be primary cause of uneaten cecos in healthy buns...it is her experience that owners look to blaming veg whereas its the excess, easy calories from nuggets / mix that causes problems (if they get too much cecos just aren't as interesting)

My three eat loads of veg / forage, have 5g of pellets each, unlimited hay & I've never seen a missed ceco

Good luck

Just from reading this can you tell me if I'm doing it right my two have 1 small handful of pellets every morning a variety of fresh fruit & veg 3 times a week I grow carrot tops so every so often they'll have one each as a treat, I mix fresh herbs in with their hay every other day x[emoji195]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just from reading this can you tell me if I'm doing it right my two have 1 small handful of pellets every morning a variety of fresh fruit & veg 3 times a week I grow carrot tops so every so often they'll have one each as a treat, I mix fresh herbs in with their hay every other day x[emoji195]

i think of the ideal diet being as close to what wild rabbits have as possible. I rarely feed fruit & if so its in the tiniest pieces - its very high in sugar. Carrot tops are good, so are leafy veg, herbs & forage. My 3 medium sized bunnies have a small handful of pellets between them but i don't think they are necessary

I only give mine a tiny amount of fruit once a week due to the high sugar content. I also only give my two Mini Lops 1 and a half egg cups of pellets twice a day, whereas my Nethie only gets 10 pellets twice a day (recommended by my vet as he has reoccurring GI stasis)

I'm probably giving my two an egg cup full once a day they go crazy for it do you think I should give it say 1 egg cup twice a day
Thankyou

I'm probably giving my two an egg cup full once a day they go crazy for it do you think I should give it say 1 egg cup twice a day
Thankyou

It kind of depends on the size of your bunnies. My Nethie is tiny, which is why he only gets 10 pellets twice a day, whereas my Mini Lops are medium sized so get 1 and a half egg cups between them twice a day.

When you say you give them 1 egg cup once a day, do you mean 1 egg cup each, or 1 between both of them? Either way I wouldn't really suggest increasing it as it is probably a perfect amount (depending on their size) unless they are particularly skinny and need to put on weight.

I should also add that I am in the process or reducing the amount I give to my Mini Lops from 1 and a half between them, twice a day to 1 between them twice a day as they look as if they may be slightly overweight.

Last edited:
Sorry yes 1 between them so a typical day is pellets fresh hay, every other day fresh veggies, twice a week I add a very small piece of apple or melon, they have fresh herbs & dandelion grass mixed in with their hay ( not every day )
Thanks for your help

Sorry yes 1 between them so a typical day is pellets fresh hay, every other day fresh veggies, twice a week I add a very small piece of apple or melon, they have fresh herbs & dandelion grass mixed in with their hay ( not every day )
Thanks for your help

That sounds excellent! Mine love a piece of de-seeded watermelon every now and again, and it makes the funniest noise when they eat it as it is virtually just water [emoji38]

Back