• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit changing colour

Theo

Warren Scout
I have had Thor almost a year and he is starting to change colour. He was dark grey with light grey patches and a tiny bit of white. Over the last week he has been getting whiter and whiter, he even has a white line of fur around his eye, almost like he has a giant eye brow drawn on. Is colour change normal as they get older/moult?!

My Rabbit changes colour/markings once a year and then after a while goes back to his orginal ones. I don't know the reason for this. It would be interesting to know.

Julie changed colors all the time when moulting. tthe first time she did it we were on vacation. She looked like a completely different rabbit when we returned.

Rabbits have two sets of fluff - the undercoat (to keep them toasty) and the guard hairs, which are slightly longer, (to keep them dry). Depending on the rabbit/colour often the undercoat is a different colour to the guard hairs but you don't usually see it because the guard hairs cover it. If you blow gently into the fur to part it you'll see the different colours. When they moult you get different patterns come through as the fur is different lengths or they may regrow undercoat first.

For example on an agouti (wild coloured rabbit) the undercoat is grey but the guard hairs are brown with black tips. So you get grey patches (no guard hairs) and black lines (guard hairs coming through) when they moult.

My bunnies have changed colour slightly, Lola from a blue grey on her patches to a regular grey and Cookie has a beige tinge to her white fur at the moment.

My lovely bridge bun Ash was amazing at changing colour, I wish I had her in the days of digital cameras/camera phones etc, as I would have taken loads of photos of her rather than the rubbish couple I do have :( from being a grey baby her fur turned a purpley colour and at times brownish. I've never seen that colour before or since.

Rosie was white with brown and black patches until she matured at 2, then when she moulted all her brown came back as black which I guess was her adult fur rather than baby fur

One of our rabbits is moulting just now, and his fur is coming in paler too. I hadn't quite expected the moulting over the winter months, but I suppose it will be spring soon!

Not looking forward to our second bun moulting, her fur is so much thicker. I'm going to work covered in hair as it is!

My lovely little tessie goes many shades of brown as she moults. She is such a beauty x

Athena's winter coat has taken on a darker shade of grey - and really thickened her mane out. She's stunning. :love: Her husbun, Apollo, is a more lustrous red too.

Back