• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small pea-sized hard lump on outside edge of upper ear

SJH

Warren Veteran
It's positioned just when the cartilage that holds the ear up ends.

It's hard. It's a small pea-size. It doesn't appear to bother him.

The vet tried to take a sample but it produced no result.

At the moment, we are watching and waiting. It appeared quickly. It doesn't really seem to be growing.

I'll try to upload pictures but, any ideas?!

Lumps do worry me for obvious reasons. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's positioned just when the cartilage that holds the ear up ends.

It's hard. It's a small pea-size. It doesn't appear to bother him.

The vet tried to take a sample but it produced no result.

At the moment, we are watching and waiting. It appeared quickly. It doesn't really seem to be growing.

I'll try to upload pictures but, any ideas?!

Lumps do worry me for obvious reasons. :(

I've had something like that on a rabbit and it was a sebaceous cyst.

Watching and waiting is good, unless you want to take the plunge and get the vet to remove it altogether?

Not really got any ideas but wanted to offer some reassurance. As I'm sure you already know, most lumps that people find on themselves and on their pets are benign, with something like only 5% actually being malignant (don't quote me on that as I don't remember the actual figure). Many people I know and some of my pets have have small growths and they have been a variety of things ranging from warts and spots, hernias (not possible on the ear I know), cysts and just simple fatty lumps. So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts to get bigger, causing him pain or you notice any other symptoms which you feel could be related.

Just out of interest though, I know it's hard but can it be moved under the skin or does it move with the skin, as if it is attached to it?

I've had something like that on a rabbit and it was a sebaceous cyst.

Watching and waiting is good, unless you want to take the plunge and get the vet to remove it altogether?

Thank you.

I am hoping that's what it is. He's a bunny who has always had 'clumps' of fur along his sebaceous glands by his mouth so it does fit.

We talked through removing it anyhow but the only way would be to take part of the ear too. Obviously, I'd rather avoid that unless necessary. :)

Not really got any ideas but wanted to offer some reassurance. As I'm sure you already know, most lumps that people find on themselves and on their pets are benign, with something like only 5% actually being malignant (don't quote me on that as I don't remember the actual figure). Many people I know and some of my pets have have small growths and they have been a variety of things ranging from warts and spots, hernias (not possible on the ear I know), cysts and just simple fatty lumps. So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts to get bigger, causing him pain or you notice any other symptoms which you feel could be related.

Just out of interest though, I know it's hard but can it be moved under the skin or does it move with the skin, as if it is attached to it?

Thank you! Hopefully I am just fearing the worst as you say.

It doesn't really move under the skin but, where it is, there is so little skin above and below it, I think it might be hard to say as the skin's quite 'tight' over it I that makes sense.

Thank you! Hopefully I am just fearing the worst as you say.

It doesn't really move under the skin but, where it is, there is so little skin above and below it, I think it might be hard to say as the skin's quite 'tight' over it I that makes sense.

I'm sure it is just your motherly instinct being paranoid, I'm always worrying about anything that is even slightly abnormal.

Yeah that makes sense, I was thinking that but I thought it might be worth asking just in case haha.

Thank you.

I am hoping that's what it is. He's a bunny who has always had 'clumps' of fur along his sebaceous glands by his mouth so it does fit.

We talked through removing it anyhow but the only way would be to take part of the ear too. Obviously, I'd rather avoid that unless necessary. :)

Oooh drastic ... I would watch and wait, and try to stop worrying. At least a bit .. x

Back