• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing- Inside or Outside

Where do they live?

• Outside

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Garage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attic

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROLOPOLO

Young Bun
Hi everyone
I have a little dilemma, hope you guys can help.
I have two new rabbits which I have had since Christmas eve. Both boys, and are healthy. We bought them a Chartwell 4ft hutch with a Chartwell 4x4ft run. Now I want them to live inside but my parents won't budge.I would love it if they lived in our attic, which is light and airy but my parents say they might smell up there, But I say they wouldn't if they are litter trained and anyway they spend 20% of the day preening themselves.

Then we have my garage which isn't insulated and is pretty dark, but at least they are out of the wind... (It is really messy in there as well) and maybe some unwanted critters.

Then we could have them outside where they are now....

Please vote on the best option and I will try and keep you updated.

Thanks,
ROLOPOLO

Hi:wave:
The first option,the hutch,im afraid to say is rather too small.You COULD add another run to the existing set up via a Runaround tunnel or carefully installed cat flap, which would need to be at least 8ft x 4ft (bigger would be better)which would off set the very small hutch.

The attic idea is unusual but would work if you have natural light up there,there is lots of safe space and it doesn't get too hot up there in the Summer.Unless its been properly converted Im not sure it would be suitable.Also remember that rabbits are very active at night and their activity might disturb the human house occupants!

The garage option is viable if there are no cars in and out of it and there is natural light or at least electric light you are prepared to leave on for much of the day-but natural light is much better.You would need to cover the floor with lino or another suitable material and they would need lots of space.It also sounds like youd have to give it abit of a spring clean!;)

Whatever you decide I think its great that you are doing all you can to provide your bunnies with suitable accommodation and I hope you find something that suits them and you and your fanily.Id go for the hutch option with run extension and Winterproof it all.x

Hi Hoppetylop,
thanks for the feedback, will keep it in mind and will make my decision based upon this.

It sounds like yours would be best outside but they will need a larger run. Maybe see if you could attach a 6ft x 8ft run using the run around system so they can really stretch their legs.

Going by what else is available I'd be worried about all the clutter in the garage and them being too noisy at random hours during early morning/late night and disturbing the house if they're in the attic.

Just to let you know the rabbit hutch is two tiered and also they exercise on our 8ft trampoline where they love to binky!!

Have a look in the outdoor housing ideas in the sticky at the top of the page,There might be an idea which you can adapt for your set up.(and some nice pictures of bunnies in their homes:))

I definitely wouldn't consider anywhere without natural light. Whilst sunlight through windows doesn't generate vitamin D (need to go outside for that), I think full spectrum light has benefits that none of us really understand. That said, you can buy full spectrum lightbulbs, which would be some kind of substitute.

As Sarah said natural light is very important. Your current set up is far too small so will either need adding to or replacing anyway - you could use this to sway your parents maybe :D
Have a look at the RWAF information on the space required for rabbits which you could also print for your parents.

Okay guys thanks, tabithakat64 I will try and win my parents over!!!
Thank you all for the great opinions and options. I will keep you up to date if you like...!🐇

I want to vote but none of the options are perfect as it currently stands so I'll give my opinion instead! :D

Outside: Rabbits are happy outside and this is a good option if you can give them a MUCH bigger setup than they have now.

Garage: This is the option I like the least, probably too dark.

Attic: This is a good option IF your attic is converted (ie. has floor/ceiling and not just beams). It would give you a lot of space for them. The only downside is the heat in summer (I have a converted attic in my house . . . it's like a greenhouse in summer) so you might need to buy a small portable air-conditioning unit for up there.

Back