• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit safe paint??

ImoT

Mama Doe
So my manor pet housing things are starting to look a big shabby because the bunnies have got them a bit dirty (they've managed to trample poo into the top of the hide!!). I would like to paint them but I just don't know what to use. I know cuprinol garden shades is pet safe...but it doesn't seem waterproof? I would like to be able to use something that's wipeable, so if they wee on it I can just wipe it off?! Ideally I would like to use it for my hamster things too when I get them as I'm planning on getting a wooden house and potentially wooden wheel. So ideally it's something that's wipeable but also chew safe?? Has anyone got any ideas?

I would have thought Cuprinol garden shades would be waterproof (once dry) with it being a wood preservative, but I'm not certain. You could fasten non slip vinyl on top of wooden hides to protect them.

I've used Cuprinol Garden Shades very sucessfully but not quite sure what you mean about it not being waterproof?

So if a bunny wee'd on the top or I spilled water all over it would it soak in if painted with Cuprinol garden shades? I don't know if I'm over complicating this!

It preserves the wood, but doesn't give you a smooth wipe clean finish like varnish (which isn't safe to chew). The best option is to use it on the outside of the hutch to protect from rain - you can hose it down to remove splashed mud. Then line floors with lino so you get a easy clean surface where wee is more likely to be an issue.

For wooden chew toys - they should be left untreated - there is nothing that will give a waterproof finish and be safe to eat.

Thank you for your advice Tamsin. I guess I should use Cuprinol garden shades then as its better than nothing but not toxic :) Lots of people on my hamster forum recommend plastikote but it's hard to get in colours, seems to be either clear or black!

I think it's the Plastikote Fast Dry Enamel Spray that's the one that's safe once dry - not all their paints are so check the container. It's fine if your using it on mesh but I don't think it will be much good for wood house/toys - hamsters chew and will easily break the seal and leave the wood exposed. Best just to replace them as needed. It might work on flooring as that's less likely to be chewed.

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply. I think there is a small tub (like tester paint size) of brush on plastikote that is pet safe. But it wouldn't be a large enough pot to do anything rabbit sized! I think the plastikote is useful on wooden hamster houses incase they wee on it whilst they are being litter trained? Or in wooden wheels too!

I'll stick to Cuprinol for the rabbit things. But I'll have to wait for the weather to get better so I can do it outside!

Back