• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed for bobo

Fellie

Warren Veteran
As you know Bobo lost his Harley at the beginning of December.

Not only was this incredibly sad for all of us - it has caused a real set back in his EC recovery. He really was getting so much better but since then he is back to square one. As well as the Programme Dog and Levicide, the vets have also put him on Panacur and he has been on this since the beginning of January but there has been no real improvement. He is drinking just over a litre of water a day now.

Now - I know that EC is incredibly hard to get rid of but my impatience stems from worry and also the fact I think our boy is very lonely:cry:. He has become much more friendly towards us humans and seems to welcome strokes now whereas before he shunned them. Whilst this is very nice for US - I think it is a sure sign that he needs bunny company.

My intentions were to wait for him to get over the EC - and then bond him with Joey. I think it could be good bond - fingers crossed. But I think we're in a for a real uphill struggle to get Bobo cured of EC as I don't think his loneliness is helping him at all.

The buns all free range in the same areas - and the pee and poo very happily in those areas - so essentially Joey has already been exposed to the EC virus. All the buns have been treated - there are no signs of EC in any of them - although only blood checks could confirm this.

Depending on what the vet says - I am thinking of bonding Bobo and Joey sooner rather than later. The stress of bonding won't help Bobo's EC in the short term - but over time, having a new buddy just might. Of course it is a risk to Joey. Luckily with Bobo - he's not showing any signs like head tilt, or paralysis - he's fine in all aspects apart from the excessive drinking. But am worried how it would affect Joey - if it does affect him.

I don't know what to do now really - keep on with Bobo as he is and hope he gets over it? Or bond him now but risk Joey - but Joey has already been exposed to the EC anyway I would imagine.

Aaagggh:evil::evil::evil: - any one have any helpful suggestions?

I don't worry about exposure as I work on the assumption pretty much all bunnies will have been exposed. My situation was similar. Noodle had EC, came down with head tilt when Myrtle died & it was a while before she was well enough to bond again. Like you we had a vet appointment to discuss & she approved - felt Noodle would bond easily...& she did, to Joey. We were just advised to put them both of panacur in case the bonding stress triggered an attack.

I'd be tempted to try & if you do I hope it works out as well for you as it did for us

Not only was this incredibly sad for all of us - it has caused a real set back in his EC recovery. He really was getting so much better but since then he is back to square one. As well as the Programme Dog and Levicide, the vets have also put him on Panacur and he has been on this since the beginning of January but there has been no real improvement. He is drinking just over a litre of water a day now.

Now - I know that EC is incredibly hard to get rid of but my impatience stems from worry and also the fact I think our boy is very lonely:cry:. He has become much more friendly towards us humans and seems to welcome strokes now whereas before he shunned them. Whilst this is very nice for US - I think it is a sure sign that he needs bunny company.

My intentions were to wait for him to get over the EC - and then bond him with Joey. I think it could be good bond - fingers crossed. But I think we're in a for a real uphill struggle to get Bobo cured of EC as I don't think his loneliness is helping him at all.

The buns all free range in the same areas - and the pee and poo very happily in those areas - so essentially Joey has already been exposed to the EC virus. All the buns have been treated - there are no signs of EC in any of them - although only blood checks could confirm this.

Depending on what the vet says - I am thinking of bonding Bobo and Joey sooner rather than later. The stress of bonding won't help Bobo's EC in the short term - but over time, having a new buddy just might. Of course it is a risk to Joey. Luckily with Bobo - he's not showing any signs like head tilt, or paralysis - he's fine in all aspects apart from the excessive drinking. But am worried how it would affect Joey - if it does affect him.

I don't know what to do now really - keep on with Bobo as he is and hope he gets over it? Or bond him now but risk Joey - but Joey has already been exposed to the EC anyway I would imagine.

As you probably know EC effects the kidneys. Has Bobo had a recent blood biochem' run to see how his kidney function is doing ?

I have always bonded E.C. bunnies, and if they are undergoing treatment, have both/all of them on a 28 day course of Panacur. I think quality of life is paramount, and happiness in what way they can get it. Their lives seem short enough to me as it is.

Loneliness can contribute greatly to an impaired immune function, which isn't good. I've witnessed bunnies brought back from the brink, when there's literally been nothing to live for except a short journey to the food bowl and back ...

As you probably know EC effects the kidneys. Has Bobo had a recent blood biochem' run to see how his kidney function is doing ?

Yes - they ran blood tests at his last EC test - end January. Thankfully kidney function is fine - but we do need to keep an eye on it and they will check on a monthly basis along with his monthly EC test.

I have always bonded E.C. bunnies, and if they are undergoing treatment, have both/all of them on a 28 day course of Panacur. I think quality of life is paramount, and happiness in what way they can get it. Their lives seem short enough to me as it is.

Loneliness can contribute greatly to an impaired immune function, which isn't good. I've witnessed bunnies brought back from the brink, when there's literally been nothing to live for except a short journey to the food bowl and back ...

This completely makes sense. Whilst Bobo does seem happy and alert - I'm not so sure. And as you say - quality of life is so important.

Thank you everyone!

I've made my decision now - we are moving buns around into bigger pens over the next couple of weeks - and will then be in a position to start a slow bonding of Bobo and Joey. I cannot stand Bobo being unhappy - and Joey will be lonely too.

I will double check with vets - and get Joey onto treatment too as a precaution.

Quite excited now - don't know why - bonding is so stressful :lol: - but the thought of my two boys being happy again makes me happy :lol:

Back