• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mother Won't Stop Feeding Him Carrots!

As the title suggests my mother simply will NOT stop feeding Aesop carrots. I have talked to her about it many times, told her to stop, asked her to stop, explained to her why she needs to stop but she just won't listen, her argument is that she used to feed her rabbit carrots when she was a child... However this was in 1950/60 when they thought it was okay to leave tortoises in the garden to fend for themselves, hmm...

Aesop has also learnt a new trick to get said carrots. He's an indoor bunny at the moment, out garden is too small and insecure for him, and his house is in the room next to my mothers and he has discovered if he thumps very loudly in the middle of the night mum will get up and bring him fresh carrots from the fridge!
I have tried explaining that he has obviously learnt that thumping at 3am = carrots and if she stopped doing this he would also stop, but to no avail.
He has plenty of space, food, water and hay. He has a dim light coming from the hall that he can see by and he's not frightened. Carrots are the only reason he thumps as far as I can see.
Are there any healthier options of treats that rabbits love that I can use to try and wean my mother and him off the carrots (There's a phrase I didn't think I'd ever use, ha!)?
This is more of a rant than anything else I suppose, am just at a bit of a loose end at what to do, other than chucking all the carrots out of the house!!

Perhaps you can have your mom give him dandelion greens, the green tops of carrots, or some other bunny safe vegetable as a treat. You mom may be trying to relive her relationship with her childhood bunny and I trust you do not object as long as she gives Aesop a treat that is better for him than a carrot.
Some people do not even give their bunnies pelleted food and give strictly hay and a lot of fresh vegetables instead.
How is Aesop tolerating the carrots? I understand that carrots are not good for bunnies as a general rule. I also understand you do not want your bunny to expect a treat at 3:00am.
Some bunnies can eat things that would give my bunnies gas, so every bunny is unique. You may have to slowly add a new vegetable to replace his carrot--and then you will need to encourage your mom to give it to him before bedtime or in the morning.

I think I would 'run out' of carrots for a few days. If that doesn't work, start making up a salad bowl for his midnight feasts. Dandelions, fresh grass, bramble leaves, other forage. That's what my friend's mum says they used to do in the 'old days' anyway - before commercial food was available. If your mum is mobile, you could get her interested in collecting some - the hedgerows are starting to green up now. Or grow some carrots, radish, etc in big pots outside and feed the green bits - that should keep her going for a few weeks.

Is Aesop clever enough to buy her 'Twigs Way' - the book on foraging for bunnies - as a valentine's present?
http://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

I understand it's infuriating if she's choosing not to listen; but if we ignore the carrot for a moment, I think it's cute that she gets up in the middle of the night. In her own way, however annoying, she wants him to be happy. It's like grandparents who insist on giving children sweets even if the parentals say no (my grandad was like that). It's going to take a while to break the habit, for both of them, but the bowl of salad and book on foraging sound like excellent ideas.

Good luck :)

Herbs such as parsley, mint, coriander, basil and dill are also very popular with a lot of rabbits. I often give my indoor bunny half a handful of a selection of these herbs when it's bed time and he loves it

Haha, yes it is very sweet and they really get on together. He seems to be tolerating the carrots very well, although he could do with a few less of them, he seems to have a very sturdy stomach as he's managed to get hold of a few things he's not supposed to eat and they haven't done him any harm.
I think I'll try and chop up the carrots into little bits so she isn't giving him a whole one every night and as suggested try and find some leaves (Our garden is very sparse as the rain has turned everything to mud!)
Thanks for everyones ideas, made me feel a little less frustrated, haha :)

Could you even say a few poos were misformed today, and he has to have absolutely no veg for a few days to let his stomach settle? You could sneak him some greens when your mum is out, and say if he wakes her up in the night, he's only allowed one basil leaf or a few pellets?

Back