• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Galen Garden leaves

Hi all,

So I'm looking for some opinions of fellow experienced bunny owners like many of you on here. I recently brought a variety of leaves from Galens Garden (JacksJane's fault![emoji6] ) and my picky eater loves them, however it unfortunately has not encouraged him to eat more hay like I'd hoped, even when I mix the leaves in with the hay. So what I am wondering is, would you say that the leaves are providing enough fibre when fed with high fibre pellets, veg and the occasional mouthful of hay that he will eat? Or would you say I still have a problem? Obviously hay shouldn't be replaced by leaves and forage, however I've tried so many brands and flavours of hay and he just won't eat as much of it as he should. I mean, I can't force him to eat it.

I'm sure someone will mention his teeth so I thought I'd beat you to it [emoji6] He was neutered approximately 3 weeks ago now and during the operation they did discover he had spurs from when he was being neglected before I 'rescued' him, however they did treat them so he shouldn't be having any issues with them now.

Any help, opinions or advise is welcomed as I am concerned that he is still not getting enough fibre. Thanks all. [emoji4]

PS I would 110% recommend buying from there as the products are fabulous and a real hit with all three of my bunnies, even fussy little Storm!

To be honest, I've now given up on hay entirely. He won't eat it. He will, however, eat stacks and stacks of forage (bought and hand picked; fresh and dried).

His teeth were x-rayed last week as a precaution when he was sedated for something else. They are pretty perfect.... That's 4 years without hay!

It's not ideal I know. But, it's the way it is for my bunny. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I've now given up on hay entirely. He won't eat it. He will, however, eat stacks and stacks of forage (bought and hand picked; fresh and dried).

His teeth were x-rayed last week as a precaution when he was sedated for something else. They are pretty perfect.... That's 4 years without hay!

It's not ideal I know. But, it's the way it is for my bunny. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow, that's pretty impressive that his teeth are perfect even without hay!

This is a sure winner with my Rabbits, it's not from Galens Garden though

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301239

Will he eat fresh grass ?
I'll have a look and see whether Mr Fusspots here will eat it [emoji23] He will eat a little bit of fresh grass, but again nowhere near the amount he is supposed to have

I've just had a look and it is the ribwort from Galens Garden that he loved the most out of the ones I brought so this could definitely be a hit!

Last edited:
I'll have a look and see whether Mr Fusspots here will eat it [emoji23] He will eat a little bit of fresh grass, but again nowhere near the amount he is supposed to have

I've just had a look and it is the ribwort from Galens Garden that he loved the most out of the ones I brought so this could definitely be a hit!

You probably know that forage won't wear the teeth down, although it's probably better for the digestion than supermarket veg, being higher in fibre.

I expect you've offered readigrass? I've had rabbits wear their teeth down wholly and completely on readigrass and not need repeat dentals.

Fresh grass can vary - try picking different bits of the garden, or wherever you get it from, and mix it in with the hay?

You probably know that forage won't wear the teeth down, although it's probably better for the digestion than supermarket veg, being higher in fibre.

I expect you've offered readigrass? I've had rabbits wear their teeth down wholly and completely on readigrass and not need repeat dentals.

Fresh grass can vary - try picking different bits of the garden, or wherever you get it from, and mix it in with the hay?
Yeah I do, I have tried him on readigrass and he eats a little bit but again, not a huge amount. I have a very large garden and have tried grass from all over but one week he'll eat grass from one area, the next week he won't. He confuses me so much sometimes [emoji21]

Yeah I do, I have tried him on readigrass and he eats a little bit but again, not a huge amount. I have a very large garden and have tried grass from all over but one week he'll eat grass from one area, the next week he won't. He confuses me so much sometimes [emoji21]

Well at the risk of being shouted down, I will mention teef again :lol:

Yes I know they have been checked, and they 'should' be OK now, but I have found that after a dental rabbits can still be left with mouth issues that prevent them eating the 'chewing' type foods.

I have had this several times, where a vet can inadvertently either create an issue that wasn't there before, or miss something.

That would be where I would look next if no grass/readigrass/hay is being eaten (or very little)

Just a thought ....

Well at the risk of being shouted down, I will mention teef again[emoji38]
Yes I know they have been checked, and they 'should' be OK now, but I have found that after a dental rabbits can still be left with mouth issues that prevent them eating the 'chewing' type foods.

I have had this several times, where a vet can inadvertently either create an issue that wasn't there before, or miss something.

That would be where I would look next if no grass/readigrass/hay is being eaten (or very little)

Just a thought ....
They did say that his teeth are slightly uneven so I was thinking that could be causing slight issues, but he does still eat tastier things such as leaves and a special 'treat hay' that I get him. After having a dental the vet did also discuss with me that it could be a lifelong problem now, but I didn't expect it this quickly [emoji21]

Back