• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our doe got spayed and now our neutered bucks aggressive towards her

desbetty

New Kit
We got our doe Betty spayed on Friday and brought her back the same day, keeping her separate from our buck Desmond, over the weekend whilst she recovered. After her follow up appointment we monitored them in the pen and managed to stop him from what was undeniably an aggressive attack. I know this because I've seen him nip her before and he's never growled or looked the way he did and I found this really upsetting because he's never been aggressive before and been neutered since June. I just wondered if anyone could help me with this because they really enjoyed each others company before.

Welcome to RU.

Its not unusual for rabbits to fall out when one has been to the vet or is physically out of sorts, or indeed after any period of separation. I think she would benefit from more recovery time & then attempt to rebond them afresh

She's been away, she smells different and is acting differently - so he isn't happy with this 'new' rabbit. Give her some time out - maybe for a couple of weeks - until she has fully healed, then reintroduce them. Keep him out of sight / smell until then if you need to and if he is aggressive towards her at the moment. Just let them both settle, heal and de-stress.

She's been away, she smells different and is acting differently - so he isn't happy with this 'new' rabbit. Give her some time out - maybe for a couple of weeks - until she has fully healed, then reintroduce them. Keep him out of sight / smell until then if you need to and if he is aggressive towards her at the moment. Just let them both settle, heal and de-stress.

Exactly this.
Its the fact that she smells different that is probably upsetting him. Usually its advised for bunnies to visit the vet together to stop bonds breaking. (If they were properly bonded before, I'm assuming they were!)

Back