• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny

Nataliek

New Kit
Hi all
My little boy is really unwell, he has no balance so falls over constantly... won't walk much and if he tries to will also lead to him falling over. He's lost loads of weight and also has lost the use of his front left paw. Altogether a very poorly bunny. Took him to my vets where he stayed over the night .. they have told me it's either a brain tumour or a parasite in the brain. Iv been giving him lapizole since Tuesday and I'm just wondering when you all think I may start seeing an improvement if it is a parasite ? I'm setting a alarm every 2 hours through the night to unsure he's eating and drinking. I should also add he has pain relief twice a day.
I just want my little boy to get better
:'(

Hi all
My little boy is really unwell, he has no balance so falls over constantly... won't walk much and if he tries to will also lead to him falling over. He's lost loads of weight and also has lost the use of his front left paw. Altogether a very poorly bunny. Took him to my vets where he stayed over the night .. they have told me it's either a brain tumour or a parasite in the brain. Iv been giving him lapizole since Tuesday and I'm just wondering when you all think I may start seeing an improvement if it is a parasite ? I'm setting a alarm every 2 hours through the night to unsure he's eating and drinking. I should also add he has pain relief twice a day.

It sounds as though the Vet thinks that the symptoms are related to infection with the protozoal parasite Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC)

Here is some detailed information and EC and the treatment needed:

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

Aswell as Lapizole (Fenbendazole) most Vets would prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory-Meloxicam (Metacam/Loxicom). It is inflammation which causes the clinical symptoms that you describe, so reducing the inflammation should reduce the severity of the clinical symptoms.

Did the Vet explain the importance of trying to minimise the re-ingestion of EC spores ? EC spores are shed in the urine so if the Rabbit eats any urine contaminated hay/feed they are likely to re-infect themselves. It is important to bleach clean/steam clean the Rabbit's environment on days 21 and 28 of treatment and all in contact Rabbits should also be treated with Fenbendazole.

I do hope that your Rabbit can recover, it is possible but it can take a very long time. Some Rabbits may be left with permanent disability, but they may be able to adjust to this and still have a good quality of life.

No I wasn't told about the risk of re-infection.. which is quite annoying. Yes we have matacam. I'm just so worried that it may be the brain tumour as he's still very unstable

No I wasn't told about the risk of re-infection.. which is quite annoying. Yes we have matacam. I'm just so worried that it may be the brain tumour as he's still very unstable

Whilst it is impossible to say for certain, EC is a far more likely cause than is a tumour xx

Jane has said everything that is needed, really. Feel free to browse other people's threads on E.C. I have been through E.C with one of my buns and it is really awful, however, they CAN and frequently DO improve with the right care and meds. It is vital that your vet is rabbit savvy and that the meds' doses are correct. Sending your bun tons of vibes and hope he starts to improve soon. x

I feel so much better just knowing that it's more likely to be EC.
How would I know if my vets rabbit savvy ?
I go to St George's veterinary ... they are the best known vets ( also most expensive 😣 ) in my area. They have been great and have a 24 hr service incase he ever has to stay in. Iv took time off my busy job to care for him. I don't care what it takes or how long as long as he pulls through 😢

Last edited:
The meds you've received for your bun seem appropriate to me, metacam helps with pain & swelling, panacur with EC. My little Noodle took 5 weeks to make any real progress with her EC related head tilt...lots of love, hands on care & patience helps. Its a stressful time. Many vibes for you & your boy xx

Hi all

There are several causes of falling over/ lack of balance. As well as E.C. (and it's good he's on a course of Panacur) it could be a vestibular issue or an inner ear infection. Also, depending on the age of your rabbit, it could be a stroke. I have had all these diagnoses in my rabbits, which were first diagnosed as having E.C. ! It's so difficult for a vet to know, even a good one!

Metacam is a good thing to ask for, as it will help with any inflammation, from whatever cause. Even if it were to be a brain tumour, so best to have it.

It's difficult to say when you may see signs of improvement, if indeed it is E.C. There are some which say that neurological damage cannot be reversed, but it can, which is very hopeful. So hold out and keep treating your little one, there may yet be light at the end of the tunnel!

There are several causes of falling over/ lack of balance. As well as E.C. (and it's good he's on a course of Panacur) it could be a vestibular issue or an inner ear infection. Also, depending on the age of your rabbit, it could be a stroke. I have had all these diagnoses in my rabbits, which were first diagnosed as having E.C. ! It's so difficult for a vet to know, even a good one!

Metacam is a good thing to ask for, as it will help with any inflammation, from whatever cause. Even if it were to be a brain tumour, so best to have it.

It's difficult to say when you may see signs of improvement, if indeed it is E.C. There are some which say that neurological damage cannot be reversed, but it can, which is very hopeful. So hold out and keep treating your little one, there may yet be light at the end of the tunnel!

Funny enough my partner thought it was a stroke.
The vet has told me to keep massaging his front leg + moving it for him, Im sure it has improved. At first it was like he didn't feel anything in that leg but now every so often as I'm moving it for him I feel slight movement and it shakes ?

Funny enough my partner thought it was a stroke.
The vet has told me to keep massaging his front leg + moving it for him, Im sure it has improved. At first it was like he didn't feel anything in that leg but now every so often as I'm moving it for him I feel slight movement and it shakes ?

Have had a rabbit with a stroke misdiagnosed as E.C. by a rabbit savvy vet. It's easy to do ..

How old is he?

Physiotherapy is really good for rabbits, I have found. Also, he knows you are willing him to get better :)

Have had a rabbit with a stroke misdiagnosed as E.C. by a rabbit savvy vet. It's easy to do ..

How old is he?

Physiotherapy is really good for rabbits, I have found. Also, he knows you are willing him to get better :)

He's 5 and half..... which is not old at all. We certainly haven't had enough years together for him to go off to bunny heaven.
It breaks me heart to see him like this.... so helpless 😢

I had a mini lop with ec a few years ago and agree it's very distressing. My bun could not get up at all and I had her in a Moses basket next to me day and night as she kept ending up on her back with the dizziness. Luckily she continued having a good appetite and I was able to keep feeding her and syringe her water. She eventually started to improve after about 5weeks of treatment and went on to recover with just a slight head tilt. It was only hearing people's success stories on here that kept me positive when she seemed so poorly. Good luck. X

I had a mini lop with ec a few years ago and agree it's very distressing. My bun could not get up at all and I had her in a Moses basket next to me day and night as she kept ending up on her back with the dizziness. Luckily she continued having a good appetite and I was able to keep feeding her and syringe her water. She eventually started to improve after about 5weeks of treatment and went on to recover with just a slight head tilt. It was only hearing people's success stories on here that kept me positive when she seemed so poorly. Good luck. X

It really has reassured me that he could get better.
Iv got him beside my bed aswell. I'm up all night checking on him and syringe feeding / watering him.
People are saying after the weeks ... I only have meds for 28 days .... will I have to buy some more and carry on ?

28 days is the standard for treating E.C but depending on the severity he may need a longer dose. My bun was diagnosed with E.C when she started drinking and peeing more and just seeming generally "off". She tested positive for E.C and her bloods flagged up kidney/liver problems (E.C often attacks these organs) but she had no weakness or head tilt until she had a seizure. After the fit she developed weakness in her front legs and front end in general and was leaning right over to one side. :( She has improved a lot now but we had her on a course of panacur and metacam for a good 2 months and she's still not 100% recovered...I don't think she'll ever recover fully. My point to this story is that my vet said that this "episode" was basically a stroke and that the treatment would be the same. You'd want panacur just in case of an E.C infection and you'd want the NSAIDs to help with the swelling and any pain. It might be worth giving a course of abx to cover any ear infection, too.

I found that my bun struggled to eat pellets and hay whilst very poorly. I found that porridge (just made with water and rolled oats) was a really good thing to get her to put weight on and get her appetite back. It's easy to eat and gets water into them as well. Don't give loads, I only gave Xena a small bowl of porridge once a day.

Sending you tons of vibes. It sounds like he's getting the best care. x

He's 5 and half..... which is not old at all. We certainly haven't had enough years together for him to go off to bunny heaven.
It breaks me heart to see him like this.... so helpless 😢

Oh bless, what a young one :)

I hope you can see some progress soon. It's difficult nursing and watching our lovely ones if we feel they are suffering or in difficulty.

He is taking life day by day and probably it's the best way for us all to be. Just coping with enough that happens in one day. Getting through and praying for some improvement :)

So sorry - sending warm vibes for speedy recovery.

My bun had suspected EC and it was a truly awful time; she was very poorly and we didn't think she'd pull through. It took a long time and many sleepless nights, but she recovered and now, by looking at her, you'd never know. Each day with our buns in special.

Would just like to let you all know how myou little boy is doing. After lots of sleepless nights of worry and hard work.... there is improvement ������
He's much less wobbly and even takes a few (shuffles).
Took him back to the vets yesterday for more check up + his dental opp... everyone loves him there and keeps telling me what a character he is and a true fighter. She told me he even fought the anesthetic and wouldn't go off to sleep. I love him so much and Im so proud of him... I'll always be here to pick him up as long as he wants to fight on. Thank you all for your help and support, really means the world to me

Back