• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

problems after spaying, needed another op

after the sound advice from members on here i waited 3 weeks longer after squiggles litter had stopped feeding to have her spayed. im so glad i did. she had the spay done on tuesday and had her post op check yesterday and what i thought was swelling was internal stiches had ruptured and her intestines had popped through tummy wall. her stitches on the outside were lovely. the vet kept her in there and then and did another op to fix the stitches with stronger materials. she is such a brave girl but im worrying now with having 2 ops in 3 days and the scar this time is a lot bigger than the original spay scar. has anyones bun had this happen before and come through ok. im getting the male babies done soon and im even more worried now. please pray shes ok xxx

I would keep her warm and quiet for at least a few days when she gets home. You can also make sure she is eating and pooing OK, which is essential now. Take her straight back to the vet if she isn't as she may need some extra support (eg fluids, medication, syringe feeding). Give her a couple of weeks to recover (no jumping, etc) and she should be fine. The scar will disappear in time.

shes eating ok and pooing but they are small dark hard balls. shes just really shaky on her feet. i have her in a 6x6ft pen in my living room. shes been there for 3 weeks because ive had to seperate the babies up into 3 sections of the hutches and she couldnt be near them. she just seemed to be walking a lot better after the original spay xx

Hi there :wave:

Exactly the same thing happened to my bunny after her spay. It was only picked up during the post op check up as her external stitches were intact. Like you, I was worried about her undergoing two surgeries in the space of three days. However she recovered well although it took a couple of days before she was eating and pooing properly again.

Sending vibes for your little girl xx

Poor bun! One of mine had a post spay infection that was missed by the original vet on post spay check op - and so she had to have a massive op 2 weeks after the initial spay to remove the large infected area etc.

It did take her a little while to bounce back.

sorry i missed that post parsnipbun, ive been really busy had the 5th rabbit spayed today ( only 3 left to neuter now) plus had my male labrador neutered on friday and he had to go back with an infection, and one of the male baby buns fell and had bad concussion and had to go emergency vets aswell. my head has literally been up my bun this week. just an update lol.. squiggles is back to normal but has been left with a lump after a reaction to the sronger sutures which she has her final check on saturday, darcy and buttons (females) both were spayed on wednesday and everything went fantastic they are only nearly 4 months too. tiggi (female) has been done today all fantastic so far. the boys, cosmo, pepe and blitzen and going for a pre op next friday to see can they be booked in for theirs done. they are in a different vets connected to pets at home because they are paying and dont seem as confident. i feel very lucky and blessed at the minute because i have read so may bad posted after spays and neuters have gone wrong, just wanted to post about something good. thanks for all the well wishes i think they are working. can you please do the same for tiggi while she is recovering xxxxxxxxxx

tiggi had her 10 day check and all was well, thanks for the vibes everyone. All 6 babies are having there injections tomorrow and chipping done. No more appointments then until next monday when the males, blitzen, cosmo and pepe get neutered. i cant wait, so fed up with all the hormones raging and the wee spraying im constantly mopping and disinfecting. then when the hormones die down bonding can begin. i will need loads of help from you lovely people on that. my biggest dream is bonding all 8 rabbits together so i can open the hutches back up to be 6ft double joined to a 7ft double in a L shape. im going to open a separate thread for this soon. xx

tiggi had her 10 day check and all was well, thanks for the vibes everyone. All 6 babies are having there injections tomorrow and chipping done. No more appointments then until next monday when the males, blitzen, cosmo and pepe get neutered. i cant wait, so fed up with all the hormones raging and the wee spraying im constantly mopping and disinfecting. then when the hormones die down bonding can begin. i will need loads of help from you lovely people on that. my biggest dream is bonding all 8 rabbits together so i can open the hutches back up to be 6ft double joined to a 7ft double in a L shape. im going to open a separate thread for this soon. xx

Glad to hear the news of Tiggi :D

Wouldn't it be amazing to have all rabbits bonded! A dream come true :love:

Wow it's all going on for you at the moment! Sending lots of vibes for your bun, sometimes they do take a while to get back to normal, hope she's feeling brighter soon. x

So pleased that Tiggi's check-up went well. Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow with the vaccinations and chipping.

thanks xxx its been kind of stressful at times lol.. but im so glad the mistake was made by pets at home. i wouldnt have planned for these babies, especially 6 of them but i love them more than anything. its just been all about saving money and spending it when enough has built up. they have cost a bomb all ready.

Back