• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbit making snorting noises

wendy5432

New Kit
Hello,

my rabbit has been to the vets lately, and she has an upper respitory infection, I have been giving her baytril for a week and it did calm down but its seems to have come back a little bit. She is making snorting noises and when shes asleep the same noises, she is eating fine. She is due for a dental on Wednesday as the spurs towards the front of her mouth are going into her cheeks, I am just worried that its not going, can anyone help?

We're in the same boat at the moment but we now have real answers.

The problem started in the summer Baytril did absolutely nothing so we cultured a sample from his eye. We needed Septrin. So, all was well.

Over Christmas, he began sneezing a lot and there was stuff coming out of his eyes and down his nose. So, Septrin was given. He perked up a little but it continued.

So, last week, we had a tear duct flush. Culturing that sample has revealed that this is not the same infection as the summer and we need penicillin (eye drops to avoid tummy problems hopefully).

Importantly, his chest has always remained clear, at no time has he tested positive for pasturella and his teeth and teeth roots are absolutely fine. :)

So, we think it's just unlucky he's picked up something else.

Hopefully, that may give you some ideas. Could the vet do a tear duct flush during his dental to try to get a sample?

He's now being spoilt rotten; he no longer sleeps in the kitchen. He sleeps anywhere he likes as it will be warmer for him..... :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for the information!

we had her tear ducts flushed in October, which we didn't want doing really and I asked the nurse vet to ring before they would do it to decide and they went ahead and did it anyway which I wasn't happy about.

She was at the vets last week and they checked her temperature and her heart beat all was fine, so they gave me baytril, which like you I have seen improvement she isn't sneezing like she was, but still abit snorty. She is eating and drinking and pooping great! and flopped over twice in past hour meaning she is happy and content. May be I am too paranoid, as she lives in the house and I am always watching her. Il see what happens at the vets on wednesday

My nethie Bramble age 8 had a upper respiratory infection, she's an outside bun and so I only hear her when you pick her up and she breathes a little more heavily, I describe it as kind of a squeak, no discharge from her nose. She had a week of baytril and 10 days of loxicom an anti inflammatory as the vets think it is inflammation in her nose/throat. I'm seeing how she gets on over the weekend and if still noisy then the vet will prescribe something to open up her airways and possibly do a head X-ray to check for foreign objects / pathology causing it. Like your bun her chest is fine.

Back