• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly Bun

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Question: we took ownership of an unneutered male bun yesterday, and I noticed that he smells rather pungent.

His bum is clean, fur is clean and ears/eyes are clean, and I cleaned scent glands earlier today. But he smells.

Is it to do with sexual maturity, do you think? We have him booked in for a health check and neuter on Thursday.

This is going to sound bad and judgemental, but the house we collected him from wasn't very clean, and his cage was filthy. Is it possible that the smell of the house is somehow in his fur?

He is running around on the floor and I can smell him...

Question: we took ownership of an unneutered male bun yesterday, and I noticed that he smells rather pungent.

His bum is clean, fur is clean and ears/eyes are clean, and I cleaned scent glands earlier today. But he smells.

Is it to do with sexual maturity, do you think? We have him booked in for a health check and neuter on Thursday.

This is going to sound bad and judgemental, but the house we collected him from wasn't very clean, and his cage was filthy. Is it possible that the smell of the house is somehow in his fur?

He is running around on the floor and I can smell him...

You are probably right, and it's him getting to sexual maturity and wanting to scent everything now! Neutering and a health check up should sort him out.

You're very kind to take him on. Sounds like he didn't have much of a chance before you :cry:

Well, sometimes you just have to do the right thing. I couldn't leave him there - he didn't even have a name. (I've decided to call him Ted). He's a lovely little thing, but very un-rabbity. He has a few nibbles of hay, but not much; he doesn't eat treats (not a bad thing, but I don't think he understands they're edible); doesn't eat much pellets; and he doesn't understand the concept of toys (we have balls, bells, tunnels, chew mats, wooden toys, loofah toys and soft toys - not interested).

We've worked out that he likes greens and snuggles, and he periscopes rather than sits (there was a cat at the house, so I'm guessing he thinks he's a cat.)

Well, sometimes you just have to do the right thing. I couldn't leave him there - he didn't even have a name. (I've decided to call him Ted). He's a lovely little thing, but very un-rabbity. He has a few nibbles of hay, but not much; he doesn't eat treats (not a bad thing, but I don't think he understands they're edible); doesn't eat much pellets; and he doesn't understand the concept of toys (we have balls, bells, tunnels, chew mats, wooden toys, loofah toys and soft toys - not interested).

We've worked out that he likes greens and snuggles, and he periscopes rather than sits (there was a cat at the house, so I'm guessing he thinks he's a cat.)

Maybe he has Dental problems ?

It crossed my mind, and we'd hoped to be able to take him to vets no later than tomorrow but the earliest they could take him is Thursday. Though - Cookie had dental problems last August and his behaviour is nothing like what we saw then. She was withdrawn, hunched over, grinding her teeth and looked very unhappy. He's bouncing around, very alert, up and down on furniture, in and out of rooms, ears forward, occasional flopping... I had a grilled cheese toastie last night and he jumped up on my lap, looking for a bit. (I think they've fed him off their plates). It might be that he's hiding it exeptionally well, if there are dental problems... I'm really worried though.

It sounds like he needs educating into being a rabbit and you've begun that journey with him, bless.

A good vet check up when you can should throw more light on what's going on ... hopefully!
Looking forward to hearing how he gets on :)

Back