• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run

Clown123

New Kit
Hi I'm new to the fourum so hello to all ,

I have 2 chickens that have a large fenced area of the garden around 12 ft by 20ft

I'm thinking of getting a couple of rabbits and my question is if I build a nice warm hutch off the ground with a platform for sitting somewhere off the ground would the rabbits be ok running free in the run ? My main problem i can see is this time of year the ground is muddy due to chickens killing all the grass , what do rabbits think about mud ? Like I say they will have a platform to be outside but off the mud and a hutch for keeping warm and dry when they want ,

Look forward to your thoughts thanks alan

Hi, rabbits and chickens would not mix at all well I'm afraid, the chickens would peck at them and the rabbits could bite the chickens. I would advise the rabbits have their own separate hutch and run.

Hi thanks for your reply , I have read on many sites that people keep them together with great success ? As I have such a large area they would not really need mix that often ? If I was to split the area I will still have the mud issue in the winter , thanks

There is a risk of illness and injury if they are kept together, it used to be fairly common I believe but it is definitely not advised now and as a chicken owner myself I personally wouldn't want my rabbits anywhere near them. Chickens have been known to peck rabbits eyes out and a chickens diet could be incredibly dangerous to a bunny. Chicken poop is also acidic and would attract flies so risk of illness, coccidiosis and flystrike etc.
I would definitely keep them separate.

I found these old threads -
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358988-Rabbits-and-chickens
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?177439-Can-rabbits-live-with-chickens

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that info , so separate it is then! About the mud , I want to give them lots if room to free range as I try to do with all my animals they are not ment to be in cages so I try and give them enough space to fell as free as possible but the wet ground and lack of grass is going to be a problem what do you think thanks

Back