• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free roaming rabbits in the garden?

jayne2710

Young Bun
Hi there - just wanted to put the question out if people let their rabbits freely roam in the garden when you are not in? Our garden is totally secure with fencing all the way round. I was just wondering when it gets a bit warmer if people let their rabbits have the freedom of the garden even when they're not in. I have 2 cats as well who don't really take much notice of our two rabbits. Or is it best just to let them have the freedom of the whole garden when we are in to supervise them? I do have a run for the garden but would love to give the freedom to just roam free in the garden!! What do people think? :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

I always supervise mine in the garden ..I do think they have lots of fun free range but it has its risks so i don't feel confident unless i can have one eye on them all the time

Hi there - just wanted to put the question out if people let their rabbits freely roam in the garden when you are not in? Our garden is totally secure with fencing all the way round. I was just wondering when it gets a bit warmer if people let their rabbits have the freedom of the garden even when they're not in. I have 2 cats as well who don't really take much notice of our two rabbits. Or is it best just to let them have the freedom of the whole garden when we are in to supervise them? I do have a run for the garden but would love to give the freedom to just roam free in the garden!! What do people think? :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Only supervised free roaming here too :D

As the saying goes, the first time you see a fox might be the last time you see your rabbit ... I wouldn't want to risk it :)

I can't let mine free roam in my garden because it is too big and they would get lost, but I certainly wouldn't advise it unsupervised. As MightyMax mentioned, foxes could get in and even if foxes didn't get in other neighbourhood cats might, there's also always the chance that they could borrow out if left unsupervised for too long but they could do this in the run as well which is why I use mesh on the floor so they can't dig out

Foxes can clear 6' easily. Cats can get in. Birds of prey may be about. Lots of things may be interested in the rabbits and may be able to get to them. Rabbits are easily spooked, which can cause health issues if they stop eating or go into shock - and they can dig quite a long way faster than you think, so may escape under the fence. Just not worth the risk.

I'm sure your rabbits would love the freedom - but only under supervision.

It's so tempting as it's great fun for them to explore, but only under close supervision. As well as the risk of predators, rabbits are excellent diggers so going under a fence isn't a big issue. I think someone had a bunny climb a tree or hutch or something and get over a fence as well - they are clever little terrors :)

If you want to give them a bit more space to explore - you could try indoors. Best when the temperatures a bit more equal as they'll have winter coats at the moment, but it's a good way to give them a big secure space - though obviously watch out for things they shouldn't eat.

I agree with everyone else, it's not worth the risk. Also I would never trust another pet such as a dog or cat alone unattended, even though you think you know what they will do, what they do when instincts kick in can be very different.

I can't let mine free roam in my garden because it is too big and they would get lost, but I certainly wouldn't advise it unsupervised. As MightyMax mentioned, foxes could get in and even if foxes didn't get in other neighbourhood cats might, there's also always the chance that they could borrow out if left unsupervised for too long but they could do this in the run as well which is why I use mesh on the floor so they can't dig out

My neighbour's dog even dug his way under the fence into my garden (it was their delapidated fence, not mine!) and began the chase. Had I not been right there I dread to think what would have happened. Things can happen in a moment that you wouldn't even consider.

Best to be vigilant, though I know we all want our rabbits to have a superb quality of life, and that also means freedom as far as possible

I used to let my big rabbits free range all the time, until one was attacked (? fox) and died in my arms. I was completely traumatised and consumed with guilt. I let the others out in the garden for about 3 or 4 hours but only when I am at home. I am going to put an electric fence on top of the wooden fence to prevent any more unwanted visitors. I wouldn't go out and leave the bunnies free ranging any more after the tragic experience. ps when not free ranging they are in an enclosure 26 feet by 13 feet so have plenty of room.

My four are always in their shed/aviary set up (8 x 6 shed attached to 10 x 6 aviary). I have two dogs and a totally open garden. If it was rabbit proof I would give them supervised access (which I would LOVE to be able to do).

I used to let my big rabbits free range all the time, until one was attacked (? fox) and died in my arms. I was completely traumatised and consumed with guilt. I let the others out in the garden for about 3 or 4 hours but only when I am at home. I am going to put an electric fence on top of the wooden fence to prevent any more unwanted visitors. I wouldn't go out and leave the bunnies free ranging any more after the tragic experience. ps when not free ranging they are in an enclosure 26 feet by 13 feet so have plenty of room.
I am so sorry to hear about this, I can't imagine how awful it must have been to see :(

Only supervised as there are certain areas I'm not sure if she can get out or not.
Of course its your choice, there are certain risks of them getting out, foxes, dogs bird that could attack them.

Even supervised free-ranging isn't an option for me as the bottom of our garden is completely open to a river. Even without that, I'd be much too worried about foxes and birds of prey.

Thanks everyone for your advice! Definitely going to go with only free roaming when I am at home to supervise them. I am getting a 8 foot chicken coop for them for the garden so will still have enough space even when they re in their hutch!

Supervised ... we have too many cats in our area. I haven't let them out for a little bit though as its just too wet and our grass is too boggy

Back