• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need Zantac!

maggyrose

Warren Scout
Hey all,

My boy had stasis and other issues 18 months ago. Nothing was found from all the tests apart from some 'sludge' in his stomach, then tried Zantac and sorted him out straightaway.

Been great since, then this morning he was flat, ignored his morning pellets and stretching his tummy. He looked ill so I knew I had to act quick, rang the vets and they said there is a problem with the supplier/manufacturer and they don't have any. The other vets didn't have any either. So I got pepto bismal instead and it's actually picked him up!

My question is, where can I get Zantac from? The vets said I can buy it online but didn't say where. :roll:

Help, thank you

Did you see the vet ? Zantac is not a cure for statis , it's a gut stimulant . There's many other gut stimulants available but the vet would need to rule out a blockage before pescribing meds and syringe feeding critical care. As stasis is often caused by pain then further investigating to what caused it is needed and painkiller is vital ! Do you mean pepto bismol the pink human medicine ? I'm sure that's unsafe for rabbits ! If he didn't see the vet my advise would be go ASAP to a different bet if bunny isn't any better. Unless I'm reading it wrong in which case I apologise - and you saw the vet as I'm shocked if they told you that on the phone and didn't insist seeing him

Zantac is an acid blocker, not a gut stimulant. It's drug name is ranitidine. Ask in your local pharmacy.

Did you see the vet ? Zantac is not a cure for statis , it's a gut stimulant . There's many other gut stimulants available but the vet would need to rule out a blockage before pescribing meds and syringe feeding critical care. As stasis is often caused by pain then further investigating to what caused it is needed and painkiller is vital ! Do you mean pepto bismol the pink human medicine ? I'm sure that's unsafe for rabbits ! If he didn't see the vet my advise would be go ASAP to a different bet if bunny isn't any better. Unless I'm reading it wrong in which case I apologise - and you saw the vet as I'm shocked if they told you that on the phone and didn't insist seeing him

Zantac isn't classed as a gut motility drug, although it's often prescribed alongside those in cases of GI Stasis.

Real name is Ranitidine and I get it from the Pharmacy.

https://www.vetstream.com/lapis/Content/Generic/gen00848.asp

It's ok I wasn't asking for help with his illness, I was asking for help on sourcing the Zantac. Pepto bismal is used on people as is ranitidine which is what Zantac is. Same for quite a lot of other medicines. I have trained as a vet nurse and rather used to animals being unwell so my vet is quite happy to let me take a drug home to syringe feed as an emergency step rather than stress him out and take him in. He has had this sort of medicine before. Thanks for your wise words and help.

I know what it is thank you, I can't find it in the syrup form for rabbits however.

Ranitidine/Zantac does have some prokinetic effects aswell as being an drug to reduce stomach acidity. It works on the lower GI tract where-as Metoclopramide works on the upper GI tract. Ranitidine can be very useful as part of the treatment of GI tract stasis.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

You wont find it specifically in 'Rabbit Form' because it is not licensed for use in Rabbits. Vets can prescribe it 'off licence'. 75mg tablets of Ranitidine can be bought OTC, even from supermarkets. But all forms of liquid Ranitidine are Prescription Only. You could ask the Vet for a prescription and obtain the drug from a (human) pharmacy.

Last edited:
I know what it is thank you, I can't find it in the syrup form for rabbits however.

Ah I missed that you needed it in syrup form.

The best thing to do, if your vet can't obtain it, is to ask him for a prescription. You should then be able to get this dispensed from a pharmacy. I have done this before with 'human' drugs that a rabbit needed, and the chemist will make it up/dispense for you.

Good luck x

Ranitidine/Zantac does have some prokinetic effects aswell as being an drug to reduce stomach acidity. It works on the lower GI tract where-as Metoclopramide works on the upper GI tract. Ranitidine can be very useful as part of the treatment of GI tract stasis.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

You wont find it specifically in 'Rabbit Form' because it is not licensed for use in Rabbits. Vets can prescribe it 'off licence'. 75mg tablets of Ranitidine can be bought OTC, even from supermarkets. But all forms of liquid Ranitidine are Prescription Only. You could ask the Vet for a prescription and obtain the drug from a (human) pharmacy.

Thanks Jacks Jane, was hoping you would come along! :) the vet will help me with a prescription.

If the vets can't get it, will the pharmacies be able to get it?

And also, do you know anything about repeated use of pepto bismal? He has only had 2 doses of 2ml on the day that he was flat and he has perked up since and is eating hay and behaving normal.

Thank you again.

Ah I missed that you needed it in syrup form.

The best thing to do, if your vet can't obtain it, is to ask him for a prescription. You should then be able to get this dispensed from a pharmacy. I have done this before with 'human' drugs that a rabbit needed, and the chemist will make it up/dispense for you.

Good luck x

Thanks MightyMax, I will have to do this if I can't my paws on it soon. X

Back