• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone had rabbits on tramadol?

Hello everyone
One of our rabbits has been prescribed tramadol for pain that cannot be controlled with other drugs. Obviously, I'm a bit worried as it's a new drug for him to go on that we haven't used before. Does anyone have rabbits on tramadol long-term? Could you please share your experiences and be as detailed as you can about what sort of pain this was for and the doses, frequency, etc. And also how did you give the drug? I have capsules I intend to open and give with banana puree or something similar. Did you have any side effects? Did it make them dozey? Was their appetite and level of activity remain normal? I look forward to hearing and any feedback would really be appreciated.
Thank you.

Can't say any of my bunnies have been on it, I just know it made me really poorly when I was on it hahaha. What pain does he have it for?

I've had 2 bunnies on Tramadol but not long term. in both cases it was to manage post operative pain. I hate to inject mine though. They both coped well

I hope you manage to get the right pain relief for your bunny be it with tramadol or anything else. good luck

Our Zeke is on tramadol at the moment. He has it twice a day and is fine in it, I've noticed no issues with diet or drowsiness.
I tend to measure in into a syringe and draw his metacam/ Zantac into it ( so any fluid would do) and then give it via syringe, chose something tasty because Zeke really doesn't like it, but takes it well with the tasty Zantac/ metacam mix.

Can't say any of my bunnies have been on it, I just know it made me really poorly when I was on it hahaha. What pain does he have it for?

It's for what appears quite severe pain in his leg but we cannot be sure what's causing it, we had x-rays, CT, and everything... you name it. He cannot use his leg and it's just wasting. It's physically normal. So we suspect a sciatica-like case.

Our Zeke is on tramadol at the moment. He has it twice a day and is fine in it, I've noticed no issues with diet or drowsiness.
I tend to measure in into a syringe and draw his metacam/ Zantac into it ( so any fluid would do) and then give it via syringe, chose something tasty because Zeke really doesn't like it, but takes it well with the tasty Zantac/ metacam mix.

Hello halfpenny and thank you for responding. The vet prescribed twice a day and yes, I planned to mix with Metacam and maybe some banana when and if we're off Metacam. He loves Zantac and adores Metacam, so that might work. I'm glad it didn't make him drowsy or go off his food, because that was what happened when we tried buprenorphen and it took me about 40 hours to recover him from a moderate, not strong, dose. It seems to affect him too much. Thank you.

I have had a bunny on Tramadol for spondylosis in her spine. Daisy did really well on it, she had it twice a day and didn't have any side effects or drowsiness. The Tramadol didn't affect her appetite, she was always a very good eater. She started off on a lower dose and it was increased as the disease progressed.

Daisy had the tablet version, I crushed the tablets to a powder, mixed it with some diluted Ribena to help disguise the taste and then gave it to her by syringe.

I have had a bunny on Tramadol for spondylosis in her spine. Daisy did really well on it, she had it twice a day and didn't have any side effects or drowsiness. The Tramadol didn't affect her appetite, she was always a very good eater. She started off on a lower dose and it was increased as the disease progressed.

Daisy had the tablet version, I crushed the tablets to a powder, mixed it with some diluted Ribena to help disguise the taste and then gave it to her by syringe.
Fantastic! Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've just mixed it up for him with nightly dose of Metacam (at 5mg/kg). I tasted it and it seemed OK to me (I always taste their drugs to make sure I'm not giving them anything awful), but I still I've had to persuade him. Anyway, he's had it! Good luck, bunny!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just to update everyone. The bunny had two doses - one last night and one this morning - and he's doing fantastic. I think he is more cheerful in himself, probably due to less pain. His appetite is good, and he's alert and responsive. I thought that one Buprenorphine injection would finish him off; he only had 0.3mg/kg but it took him about 40 hours to come to senses. Tramadol seems to be the way forward. I will observe for a week, and after that the vet and I will reassess dosage and frequency of administration, and whether to reduce or remove his Metacam. So far, he seems doing great! I wish we tried it earlier. It seems like good stuff.

That sounds good!]

But just to add that we have used this on two rabbits - one was fine the other became almost zombie like and we had to stop. I am one of those humans that cannot go near the stuff (vomiting and collapse into semi-coma) so I know how very variable reactions can be!

Glad that your bunny is doing well on Tramadol. For bunnies that can tolerate it, it is good stuff.

It's for what appears quite severe pain in his leg but we cannot be sure what's causing it, we had x-rays, CT, and everything... you name it. He cannot use his leg and it's just wasting. It's physically normal. So we suspect a sciatica-like case.
Oh gosh, poor little man..I'm glad it's making him feel better and I hope you find out what is causing it soon :)

That sounds good!]

But just to add that we have used this on two rabbits - one was fine the other became almost zombie like and we had to stop. I am one of those humans that cannot go near the stuff (vomiting and collapse into semi-coma) so I know how very variable reactions can be!
It made me really ill like this too so I feel your pain haha, I was put on it the day before my 16th birthday a couple of years ago and was vomiting all day, it was awful![emoji21] [emoji23]

It made me really ill like this too so I feel your pain haha, I was put on it the day before my 16th birthday a couple of years ago and was vomiting all day, it was awful![emoji21] [emoji23]

Yes, I couldn't take more than one dose of tramadol :shock:

I think it's much better tolerated in rabbits, but still one to watch!

I have a disabled bunny called Marshmallow on tramadol he has 10 mg 3 times a day. He's been on it now for about 12 months he started off on it once a day and he's now 3. It doesn't effect rabbit's like it does humans and he has done quite well on it. He also has Metacam twice a day to. Like Tracy's Daisy, Marshmallow also has them in tablet form which we crush and add a little water to and then has it by syringe.

Following this with interest, as I am thinking of asking my vet to try Daisy on tramadol for her arthritis... Appointment tomorrow, so going to discuss...

I have a disabled bunny called Marshmallow on tramadol he has 10 mg 3 times a day. He's been on it now for about 12 months he started off on it once a day and he's now 3. It doesn't effect rabbit's like it does humans and he has done quite well on it. He also has Metacam twice a day to. Like Tracy's Daisy, Marshmallow also has them in tablet form which we crush and add a little water to and then has it by syringe.

Hello Tuckerbunnies
Could you please tell me if it is 10mg total dose (and if it is, what is Marshmallow's weight) or is it 10mg/kg? Thank you.
We are going to the vet again today and shall see if we can go up to three times a day, as he's been OK on twice a day. I think it's a short-acting (at least in rabbits) painkiller.

Yes, this is what I've always understood to be the case, Maysie :thumb:

That sounds good!]

Yes I had similar happen with one of mine. He didn't do very well on it at all, so I took him off it.

Back