• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something wrong with front paw

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hi, my rabbit Lucy is holding up her front right paw. It started about a week ago. I don't think she fell or anything. She is eating, drinking, pooing and peeing. She's using her both paws to clean her face, but seems to be a little sad and doesn't want to run around as much as usual. She's not limping, just not putting weight on her right paw.
Anyway, I took her to our vet to be examined. The vet examined her, felt her leg, tried to move it in different angles and said that nothing is broken or swollen and gave us pain injection (Ketoprofen), but it didn't seem to work, so I brought her back to the vets next morning. This time they gave us anti - inflammatory drugs and same Ketoprofen. For a few days it seemed to work and she was feeling a lot better. She was putting weight on her paw and acting normally, but when we stopped those meds she started holding her paw up again.
Yesterday I took her back to the vets, they did an X - ray and it didn't show any broken bones, dislocations, arthritis (she's around 7 years old) or anything abnormal. So they gave us more anti - inflammatory meds. But this time they don't seem to work at all. I don't know what should I do next? Maybe someone here had anything similar to our case? Thanks in advance.

The vet has done all the right things but I would personally say that maybe an MRI scan may be in order or another type of scan like an ultrasound to check for tissue wastage or damage to the tendons which wouldn't show up on the X-ray.
I would go back or talk to the vets about upping her dose of the imflammatory drugs and pain relief. Ketofen is a 24hr drug so really she needs it repeating every 24 hrs to have maximum effect.

Back