• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mama Mounting Her 9 Wk Old Son A LOT - Should I Separate?

njbunnymom

Young Bun
Hi everyone. Hope someone could offer some help. I have a trio (neutered Jiji, not spayed Grace, and not neutered baby son Harry who is ten weeks old this weekend. He has an appointment to be neutered in late March.). They free range around the house all day and sleep in cages at night. They've had no fights and get along well together. Jiji is in a separate cage and Grace and the baby Harry have been bunking together since his birth. Lately, Grace has been furiously mounting poor Harry in the cage and also during the day.

In the cage episodes, Harry looks kind of confused and doesn't fight back. Harry has shown no interest in mounting anything yet, unlike his father who was extremely active from a young age. He's not spraying yet either (thank goodness).

Should I separate them at night now? Could I bunk Harry with Jiji or would that cause fights? I know the obvious answer is to have Grace spayed, but it's incredibly expensive to do so at the moment. The spay is 2x as much as the neuter (around $400 USD).

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Mummy rabbit is behaving hormonally as she wants more babies so you definitely need to separate baby bun off from her. As to whether you can put baby with Dad I would doubt it but it might work. Can you not put Mum and Dad back together or has Dad only just been neutered? Mum's hormones should settle down in time and It's good you are caring enough to spot all this. :thumb:

I would be wary of mum bun getting pregnant again.
I assume Jiji is the dad? When was he neutered?

It looks like you have some options:
- get mum spayed ASAP (wow - very expensive!) and she can stay with the boys. Best option, in my opinion - barring the expense.
- put baby with dad and hope they are OK until baby is neutered.
- put mum and dad back together - if dad was neutered some weeks ago, otherwise you risk having another litter.
- leaving them as they are - risk pregnancy and / or fighting - so more vet bills and may not bond again. So no benefits to anyone.

As a temporary measure, I would probably try dad and baby together. Then when mum is neutered, try bonding as a trio. While she is hormonal, she may upset whoever you put her with, so I would not let her roam with the boys at all (especially while one or both may be fertile), but allow her contact through cage bars to make bonding easier later - assuming there are no fights in the meantime.

Back