• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead cross mane?

BunnyMania

Young Bun
I adopted a rabbit in Saturday. He's about three to four months old, and I was told he may be a Netherland dwarf cross lionhead.

He does have a bit of a mane, but I was wondering, because he is a cross will he lose his mane, or is it possible it will grow out?

12632930_544550775702475_2011578292_o.jpg

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk

He's just a baby, so it will most likely grow in time. I have a 2yr-old bun, I was told he was a lionhead cross but he doesn't even have a hint of mane - The only giveaway is his super, fluffy butt! :lol:

The lionhead crosses I have had always kept the fluffy bits. Sometimes it was seasonal (short coat in summer, full ruff or topknot in winter). Some got permanently fluffier. It helps if you get them used to being groomed when it is easy and they are young, then you can be prepared for the adult coat.

I've read that he may lose his mane completely! Which would be a shame, I'd love if he does keep it because it makes him look like such a character! Will love him either way of course. He's a lovely little guy. Super soft fur too.

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk

He is lovely but as to whether he will stay the same I don't know. If you put his hay in his litter tray it will encourage him to be litter trained, if he isn't already. Hope you don't mind me saying this, but I spent years before I even knew rabbits could be litter trained :roll:

He is gorgeous :)

We have two lionhead (possible crosses) rabbits, and when we first got them the female didn't show any signs of a mane, but she's grown fluffier over the winter! Meanwhile her friend Peter has gone from being fluffy to super-super-fluffy...

All four of mine are lionhead x and all four of them have fluffy manes. (Two bucks and two does).

I have a lionhead - who's potentially a cross. She's just over a year old. Her winter coat has made her mane even fluffier. I'm interested to see how she'll look with her summer coat now. :)

Back