• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Never heed

Thanks for asking. Life is a disaster. I couldn't think how to word my message properly so just took it off.

To try to cut a long story short, I posted because I gave been agonising over whether to rehome my buns. I just don't know what is best for them. I certainly didn't take them on thinking I would have rehome them.

My husband and I have separated, but are still living in the same house for now. My daughter, who already has autism and diabetes, has been diagnosed with a serious long term health condition which means she needs a lot of care and will do possibly forever. I live my buns dearly but feel I am letting them down by only being able to give them basic care, but I also feel I am letting them down by thinking of rehoming them. I would dearly love to move too, but daughter is too unwell and wouldn't manage the stress if it.

Aw bless, you have loads going on. I'm really sorry to hear about your daughters health & your separation. If your buns live together basic care isn't so bad for them as they have company from each other. Do your rabbits give you comfort & pleasure or is there so much going on they are more of a worry?Are finances a worry? I really think you need to decide what suits you & your furry family. There is nothing wrong with rehoming if that suits you &/or them best. Peoples lives change in ways we can't anticipate. Good luck with a really difficult decision x

Whatever decision you make will be the best one, it's making the decision which is the hardest thing as you well know. Sorry to hear about your daughter's health and your breakup. You must feel like it is totally overwhelming you at the moment. Sending you lots of love and coping vibes x

I'm so sorry about your breakup, and your daughters health :cry: if your rabbits are in pairs they won't really mind if they are only getting the basics, but if they are too much of a burden on top of everything else you have to deal with then no one would blame you for rehoming them.

Hugs xx

Thank you all. The problem is I have a pair of rabbits and 3 singles. One of the singles is quite happy by herself, but the other 2 are not so happy. They both have long term health problems. I feel totally stressed just now, worrying if the buns are going to get unwell and his will I get them to the vet when my daughter can't come and can't be left.

I would feel rotten only rehoming the 2 singles, and I doubt they will be easy to home with their health.
But the other girl and the pair are happy enough. But then would that really be much less stress for me?

Thanks for asking. Life is a disaster. I couldn't think how to word my message properly so just took it off.

if you need to rehome your buns (and it sounds as if you do) then go right ahead and do it. it sounds to me as if you need to release all the extra stresses from your life, because starting a new life with your daughter's additional diagnosis and without your partner is stressful enough.

To try to cut a long story short, I posted because I gave been agonising over whether to rehome my buns. I just don't know what is best for them. I certainly didn't take them on thinking I would have rehome them.

My husband and I have separated, but are still living in the same house for now. My daughter, who already has autism and diabetes, has been diagnosed with a serious long term health condition which means she needs a lot of care and will do possibly forever. I live my buns dearly but feel I am letting them down by only being able to give them basic care, but I also feel I am letting them down by thinking of rehoming them. I would dearly love to move too, but daughter is too unwell and wouldn't manage the stress if it.

I am really sorry that things have not improved since we last 'spoke' :cry:

As your Rabbits have each other for company then really they only 'need' you to provide those basic needs you mention. Only you can judge if you are able to manage this additional responsibility on top of everything else. Having the Rabbits may help you in some ways, but if you are constantly feeling guilty about 'not doing enough' for them then you may think rehoming them to be the best option. No-one has the right to judge you either way. It can be A LOT harder to admit that one has to re-home a Pet(s) than it is to struggle on barely coping. Whilst most people dont take on a Pet with any intention of rehoming him/her at some stage, none of us can predict what may happen in our lives in the future. One's personal circumstances can change over-night.

If you feel that you do need to rehome your Rabbits then is there a Rescue anywhere near you on who's waiting list you could request your Rabbits go ? What about Fairly Beloved ? I know that they are based in Glasgow, but I am not sure if they have contacts further afield.

http://www.fairlybelovedrabbitcare.org/

I have recently rehomed my two belgian hares (back to cottontails rescue), my two guinea pigs (to a local rescue/sanctuary) and my windowed lionhead x (to same local rescue/santuary).

I now have the quad (all lionhead x) and it is such a relief. I have had terrible anxiety which left me bed ridden for many weeks. On the mend now but do not regret rehoming them as it was all just too much. The g.pigs both had minor health issues and I was overwhelmed.

It sounds like you have a lot of major changes to cope with. Hopefully you can find a sympathetic rescue near you. Sending lots of coping vibes your way.

Back