• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can the combination vaccine be given early?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone had the combination vaccine given earlier than the booster was due? if so, how long before? i've just messaged the vets to ask aswell but thought you lot might know quicker ;)

just trying to work things out with bisc's vaccination, the new vaccination and his health check.

thank you :wave:

My trusted vet was happy to vaccinate 5 weeks early rather than put them through the stress of a long journey twice. Of course now there are 3 bunnies and three vaccination appointments each this year :roll: their RHVD2 are co-ordinated but not the others

My trusted vet was happy to vaccinate 5 weeks early rather than put them through the stress of a long journey twice. Of course now there are 3 bunnies and three vaccination appointments each this year :roll: their RHVD2 are co-ordinated but not the others

i want him to have his health check soon, so thought instead of waiting for the new vaccine to come in, he could go sooner and if he doesn't need a dental etc then he could have his combi vacc early instead. i'm the same and trying to limit the amount of times he has to travel there.

the new vaccine is taking longer than i thought it would to come in.

hopefully the vets will say it's ok then and i can take him in soon.

I don't see why not, providing it's not ridiculously early. I would think a few weeks' overlap would be okay i.e. like what joey&boo said.

has anyone had the combination vaccine given earlier than the booster was due? if so, how long before? i've just messaged the vets to ask aswell but thought you lot might know quicker ;)

just trying to work things out with bisc's vaccination, the new vaccination and his health check.

thank you :wave:

no a month earlier is ok, I did it the other year with mine

It's a bit of a nightmare with the new vaccine. Ideally I expect it would be best space the VHD2 away from the other combo vaccine, as in effect during the first year a rabbit will be getting three doses of the VHD vaccine.

Doing them in the space of a couple of months will concentrate that in their system, but protection is necessary.

Giving the combo vaccine a month or two earlier has never been a problem for my vet.

It's a bit of a nightmare with the new vaccine. Ideally I expect it would be best space the VHD2 away from the other combo vaccine, as in effect during the first year a rabbit will be getting three doses of the VHD vaccine.

Doing them in the space of a couple of months will concentrate that in their system, but protection is necessary.

Giving the combo vaccine a month or two earlier has never been a problem for my vet.

the timing has worked out quite awkwardly for bisc. either he has them fairly close together, or we risk him not having the new one for a month or two. i hope he will be ok. obviously when i book him in i'll discuss it with the vet during the consult before letting him loose with the needle!

Back