• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E. Cuniculi

baby04

Warren Scout
I rushed Merlin to the vets on saturday morning.
He couldn't move his back legs properly and was shuffling
Along.
The vet thinks its E. Cuniculi rather than him hurt himself.
So we have 28 day course of panacur and metacam daily.
Today he seems worse dragging his legs rather than a shuffle.
He is due back at the vets tomorrow. But when should he start
improving by? I can't remember what the vet actually said as I was
so worried he had hurt his back and I would lose him.
I am cleaning his bum to as he is getting a bit mucky.
He is eating and drinking ok but that is all.

If it is EC, I would hope to see some improvement in about a week. It can be quite a slow recovery and there may be times when there are relapses and symptoms get worse again. Often they get a head tilt as well. Sometimes treatment may be needed for longer than 28 days. Panacur kills the parasite and Metacam reduces the inflammation (and hence the symptoms) it causes.

Make sure he can eat and drink OK, and that he is pooing normally. You may need to move his bowls so that he can easily reach them, or swap them for a saucer. If he is outside, he may need extra attention and warmth as he is less mobile than normal. He may also need his bum cleaning if he can't do it for himself for a while.

Don't forget that a complete clean and disinfection (eg bleach or steam) of everything he is in contact with is needed on days 21 and 28 of the Panacur treatment. This helps to break the lifecycle of the organism, which is shed in urine.

Thank you I didn't know to steam clean on those days so will make sure I do.
He is outside. I have made him a comfy area and put food and hay right next to him. I have put extra water bottles on so he can reach easier.
He is in with his friend she is on a nine day course and so far looks ok.
Is there anything I can do to protect her? I really don't want to move her out as she is laying with him and being lovely.

I'm sorry to hear your bunny is ill. I'd leave both bunnies together, its nice that he has comfort & warmth in her. The panacur should offer her some protection. Its thought that the vast majority of domestic rabbits will have been exposed to ec but most won't show symptoms / become ill. EC first affected my bunnies brain giving her head tilt, it was about 6 weeks before we saw any improvement at all

Along.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one :(

I should keep them together all the time, if possible.

It's really difficult to tell you when or if he will improve. I have had rabbits who have done really well, but others who've gone on to develop other symptoms. I think you have to take it day by day, and do the best you can.

One thought though .. your vet has put Merlin's wife on a nine days course of panacur. This is not really sufficient to kill the life cycle of the parasite. That needs to be 28 days at least.

Once she has finished her 9 day course, she will still be able to pass spores in her urine (that's how it's transmitted) and Merlin will be able to pick them up again. Both rabbits should be treated with the same dose and length of course of Panacur.

Sending loads of vibes for his speedy recovery xx

Along.

Poor Merlin :cry:

You may find these to be informative :

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

Back