• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Parasite control

RachelJane

New Kit
Hi everyone!

Just wanted some advice on parasite control on my bunnies. My bunnies are 5 months old, both hand rears. I've bought Advantage <4kg for them, it only treats flea and according to the leaflet only prevents fleas for 1 week! I know there is Xeno that treats fleas, ticks, mites and lice and lasts for 1 month? so this seems the best protection. I work with cats so need to treat them effectively, Any ideas?

Also my bunnies are indoors and don't have access to a garden yet (moving soon). i haven't trimmed their nails as they are'nt visible under the fur, is that right?

Have you spotted parasites/fleas on them? Generally rabbits don't need any routine treatment (unlike cats), it's fairly rare for them to get fleas. Considering the amount of outdoor rabbits and cat+rabbit owners you'd think it would be more common - maybe they don't take so good to cat fleas?

I'd suggest maybe flea spraying you car regularly (if you drive home from work) and you've brought them home before. If it's something like a cattery where cats (should) be treated before boarding and actually seeing fleas is unusual I probably wouldn't even do that. If you are working with strays that's obviously a bit higher risk.

The important thing would be myxi vaccinations, as fleas and biting insects can carry that - although they'd have to previously have bitten an infected rabbits so flying insects are the higher risk as they travel further.

I think it's got a fairly long shelf life so I'd save it until you spot one or you know you've been working with a cat that was infested.

Hi there. I understand that working with cats you are worried about bringing fleas home but I would think if you check your rabbit's coat weekly for any flea droppings then you don't need to treat them unless you are sure they have them. Once treated with Advantage they should be fine until you see evidence that they have been reinfested. As for your rabbits' claws,at 5 months they should not need to be clipped, possibly when they get to around a year, although young rabbits' claws can be very sharp so you could just nip the very end off if you wanted.

Thanks for the advice, i havent spotted any parasites on them, so i would be treating them as prevention really. I work with rescue cats who are treated when they come in. My in laws have 3 cats who arent treated for fleas and worms and i have contact with them as its difficult!

I have cats (all indoors), dogs (who go through woods and long grass so could pick up all sorts), rabbits (indoors and out) and guinea pigs. We have contact with other people's pets, etc. We do get fleas sometimes. The house is vacuumed daily and gets sprayed about twice a year. One cat has to be flea treated monthly due to a severe allergy - he pulls his fur out in a few hours if his treatment is overdue by a couple of days. The other cats and dogs are only treated if they have evidence of parasites (eg flea droppings or visible bites), or we seem to have an outbreak that needs stopping quickly. The rabbits and guinea pigs have never had fleas and have never been treated for them. I would not routinely treat for them. For flea infestation, I also use an electronic nit comb to zap the adults.

I find that vacuuming and regular grooming are the best forms of defence. You spot any infestation early and can nip it in the bud.

Back