• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis recovery

fonziesmom

New Kit
My 3 1/2 y/o bunny Fonzie (chubbum-butts)
Had the beginning stages of GI stasis one week ago today. I went to 2 different vets who did nothing to help, in their words (well, he's still nibbling a little so he'll be ok)...I'm no vet, but a bun hardly pooping or pooping tiny hard pellets and not wanting his treats while grinding his teeth, is NOT an 'ok' bunny..... By Thur morning 4:30am he was barely nibbling hay and refusing water. Id finally went into (big mad momma bear mode) and was finally found a place that would take me seriously by 6am and have him checked by 8:30am. They gave him pain meds, IV fluid which I've been giving him as directed. Soft food to hand feed, which he loves.(ice cut that down since his hay eating has licked up big time) Metoclopramide, antibiotics and pro-antibiotics.

This will be the 4th day on all the meds and such, he's eating hay frequently and a lot of it. Plenty greens. his poop looks almost normal, a few here and there are very small and he's not going quite as much as he should or as often.
he's drinking on his own now, only not very often. It's 3:48pm right now and I've not seen him drink since almost 9:30am.
His bowl holds 60cc's of water, he had drank nearly (but not quite) half of it between midnight last night and 9:30am

His behavior is pretty normal, naps, munches, interacts with me. Trying to groom me and has exercise runs/adventures in the house. I'm still worried about him (of course) I don't want him to relapse!

So I ask, is it normal for poop to still be a little off...and is it normal to not be drinking quite as much?? I'd call the vet today but they don't open till 8:30 tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that Fonzie hasn't been well. It's good that you finally got to see a vet who knew how to treat him appropriately.

As far as his poo is concerned, yes it does sometimes take a little while for that to return to its normal size after GI Stasis. Regarding the drinking, are you still giving him IV fluids? If so, he is probably well-hydrated and doesn't feel the need to drink quite so much. You could try soaking his greens in water to get some more fluid into him if you thought he needed it.

How many days did the vet say to continue with the medication?

Thank you

I gave him 50cc around 12 yesterday, I haven't given him any today, wanted to see how well he'll drink. Ive got one more tube for one more IV round n that's all they gave me. was given enough to last 3 days. The antibiotics and pro-antibiotics was for 10 days.

Sorry. Is it definitely IV (Intravenous), and not SC (subcutaneous). I've ever known vets to allow IV treatment at home due to the risks involved, and the method of giving it will affect his drinking. (SC tends to mean they'll drink more on their own a lot quicker than if they have been receiving IV)

So sorry, I just call it IV but it is definitely SC.

Yes, I was thinking you must be a vet, but then in your first post you said you were not a vet :?

Anyway, welcome to the Forum :wave: and so glad to hear your little one is recovering.

The poos will take a few days to get back to normal size/colour etc. In the meantime, feel free to post photographs :D

If you need help with that, you can check here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

I hope all continues to progress well :thumb:

He's eating hay and playing still, like normal but hasn't drank since this morning :/ 12 hours now. I don't understand

He's eating hay and playing still, like normal but hasn't drank since this morning :/ 12 hours now. I don't understand

If he has been receiving SC fluids he is unlikely to feel thirsty hence him not drinking much for himself at the moment.

What is his urine output like ?

He hadn't had any SC since yesterday mid day. Not sure how long 50cc would keep him feeling hydrated. HOWEVER! I just watched him take a few big gulps <3 I gave him bottled water instead of the tap, maybe it tastes better?? Anyway I'm SO HAPPY!!

He hadn't had any SC since yesterday mid day. Not sure how long 50cc would keep him feeling hydrated. HOWEVER! I just watched him take a few big gulps <3 I gave him bottled water instead of the tap, maybe it tastes better?? Anyway I'm SO HAPPY!!

Thats good news :)

ce19d463e2721f45d49a308b4cd9dd8d.jpg

ce19d463e2721f45d49a308b4cd9dd8d.jpg

Very cute :love:

In the longer term it might help his gut function if you could ermmmmm, reduce his 'curves' a little ! Rexes are VERY greedy Rabbits and it can be a real challenge to keep them at a healthy weight. I know that from first hand experience ! The rule of most Rexes seems to be 'if it is there eat it ' !!

A very gradual weight loss programme would be of real benefit to his over-all health and if he were ever to have any times of 'not eating' in the furure, for whatever reason, being at a 'healthy' weight and not too....'curvaceous'.......will mean his liver is more able to cope. The development Hepatic Lipidosis' (fatty liver) is one of the major factors that make GI stasis in Rabbit potentially life threatening. Hepatic Lipidosis occurs much more readily in a Rabbit who is over-weight. Also, Rexes are prone to sore hocks. Being over-weight increases the risk of sore hocks.

If you need any help with the best way to get him onto a 'healthy eating' regime you could post a separate thread over in the 'Diet' section of the Forum xx

Last edited:
Awe thanks much :D since last week we've been changing up with the diet as well. He was rather chubby aroubd 6 months ago an has lost weight over that time but does still have a little pudge. now tho after the stasis thing, the kibbles are almost all taken away until I can find something healthier <3

Glad he's on the mend, and lovely to see the photos :D

Glad he's on the mend, and lovely to see the photos :D
I woke up this morning to see the entire bowl nearly drank. Poop EVERYWHERE!!! and as soon as my feet hit the floor, he was all around me like MOMMY MOMMY LOOK AT ME! I'm so so happy

Back