• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering and pictures :)

Zazu

New Kit
Hi guys, I used to come on here soo long ago (probably around 2001!) when I was just 11 and starting out with rabbits, so I knew you guys would be the people to turn to with my questions 15 years later! :wave:

Simba is my new house rabbit, probably about 4-5 months old now. We have reached *that* age, with humming, circling, grabbing and humping! He is a little monster and time to get him 'seen-to'! I've had lots of rabbits but never been through the neutering process.

In your opinions, how does it alter their behaviour? I would like it obviously to reduce the sexual behaviour, but how much of that is linked to his actual interaction with me? Do rabbits tend to ignore you after neutering as they no longer see you as their potential suitor?

Do they shave the area? He is longhaired and just wondering how much of it will disappear?

After he is neutered, everyone says to ask for pain medication, any ideas on specific drug names so I either ask for them or see if he has had them on the bill afterwards?

Also, one of my fears is him coming home with a cone on his head..please tell me he doesn't have to endure this? Thing is, do most buns leave their stitches alone?

Sorry, lots of questions. Now time for the pictures!

http://i.imgur.com/K3JYfWF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SzH1oOz.jpg

He is so gorgeous! I had my bunny neutered just over two weeks ago and he has already stopped humping. He still has some other behaviours from before he was neutered but it generally takes about 6 weeks for the hormones to die down anyway so it's still early days at the minute.
Also, no they don't put cones on their head hahaha, my little man had internal stitches and skin glue used so there weren't any stitches that he could pull out, but I don't know if they are all done that way.

Evening zazu. Simba is soooooooo cute.
We had our mini lop house rabbit when he was 12 weeks old and had him neutered some months later as he got to *that* age, he was humping everything, biting my legs and a bit forceful with his actions so we knew it was time to get him sorted.
A couple of weeks later the humping,biting and his forcefulness vanished, he was a completely different rabbit, it was lovely.
He didn't have a cone on his head. He had tiny stitches but never pulled them out.
He's now two and a half years old and he's the most loving rabbit who loves a good old fuss xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What a gorgeous boy :love:

Our little guy had the snip at about 5 months. He wasn't showing any hormonal behaviour, but we wanted to get it done before he did and so he'd be ready for a wifebun!

They shaved a little bit round the area, he had dissolvable stitches and was given Metacam to be given in drops on his food for about 4 days starting the day after the op. He did lick the area a bit the evening he came back but stopped by the next day.

He bounced back very quickly and his affectionate behaviour didn't change at all :love: xxx

ETA - as tonibun says, he wasn't allowed to jump around for a few days afterwards. He was most pleased when he was allowed to jump on the sofa again :lol:

Last edited:
Young boys get over their castration very quickly. You can give him Metacam for a couple of days after his op, but mostly they're fine. Just keep him quiet for a couple of days with no jumping. He will be so much "nicer" when he's been neutered. :thumb:

Thanks to everyone who replied - you all put my mind at ease and after all your advice I managed to get him booked in for last Wednesday. He had just had his 3 day post-op check up and is doing fine :)
He's been on vet bed and towels since the op but I've put him back on shavings now as I am struggling to keep up with all the washing! I hope he will be ok with the shavings.
How long should he be on Metacam? The nurse said another 2 days but he seems fine now.
One last question - when can he begin to run around again? He is going a bit stir crazy just in his cage, he's probably doing himself more damage throwing himself around! Can he have exercise yet?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied - you all put my mind at ease and after all your advice I managed to get him booked in for last Wednesday. He had just had his 3 day post-op check up and is doing fine :)
He's been on vet bed and towels since the op but I've put him back on shavings now as I am struggling to keep up with all the washing! I hope he will be ok with the shavings.
How long should he be on Metacam? The nurse said another 2 days but he seems fine now.
One last question - when can he begin to run around again? He is going a bit stir crazy just in his cage, he's probably doing himself more damage throwing himself around! Can he have exercise yet?
Thanks
I would say he is probably ok to come out and run around again now as castrations are much less invasive than spaying so he will more than likely be ok now :) Also, many people on RU including myself advise against wood shavings as they can cause respiratory problems so I would never use them for my bunnies at any time in their lives. I personally would recommend megazorb as it comes in hugeee bags for only £15, and it lasts for ages because it is designed for horses (but 110% safe for rabbits). One bag of megazorb lasts a month for me and I have three bunnies so it would last even longer for you. Plus it is amazing at absorbing any urine, meaning that litter trays and stuff don't get so yucky on the bottom.

He won't need any more Metacam now! Glad he's doing well and shavings can cause respiratory problems as it is dusty. I didn't like Megazorb personally and I found it quite dusty, so I just use newspapers and hay as I get all the unsold papers from all round the Island. My friend uses cat litter (non-clumping) and that seems to work for her 2.

Your little one looks gorgeous! I am glad that hes doing well and the post op check up was fine.

My bun was neutered on Friday, no metacam, he bounced back with in hours and seems himself already. He isn't used to being in a confined space so today I have been allowing him monitored free time in small intervals.

You should be allowed to introducing him back to exercise now yes as itbi

😊

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk

I sent too quickly silly phone! I meant to say -

As it seems to have gone well.

Also I agree with above posts I personally don't use shavings but there is many safe researched alternatives or just simply paper and hay.

Take care x

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk

Thanks, the shavings is a temporary solution. He is long haired so currently covered in more shavings than fur. I thought they would be softer than his usual Auboise (sp?) incase the chips were too spiky for his bald bits and sensitive stitches.

I also have Megazorb but have to say I'm not a fan. Again it sticks to his fur like glue, but I find when I dig my hands in to it they come out absolutely covered in a fine dust. He flicks his feet around and generally not settled on it. Didn't want all that dust getting into an open wound.
So shavings for now but usually on megazorb in the corners underneath the Auboise.

Thanks, I'll start letting him run around and stopping him leaping in the air!

Thanks, the shavings is a temporary solution. He is long haired so currently covered in more shavings than fur. I thought they would be softer than his usual Auboise (sp?) incase the chips were too spiky for his bald bits and sensitive stitches.

I also have Megazorb but have to say I'm not a fan. Again it sticks to his fur like glue, but I find when I dig my hands in to it they come out absolutely covered in a fine dust. He flicks his feet around and generally not settled on it. Didn't want all that dust getting into an open wound.
So shavings for now but usually on megazorb in the corners underneath the Auboise.

Thanks, I'll start letting him run around and stopping him leaping in the air!
Ahhh ok, I just assumed that you permanently used shavings as you didn't mention any other bedding/litter. I can see how megazorb would be an issue with a long haired bunny too, mine all have short hair so luckily I don't have that issue haha

Last question honest....How long till boys' hormones settle down? I know they're fertile for a good while afterwards but is it usual for him to still have the same 'urges' 2 weeks after the op?
Zazu

Last question honest....How long till boys' hormones settle down? I know they're fertile for a good while afterwards but is it usual for him to still have the same 'urges' 2 weeks after the op?
Zazu
My bunny's hormones have only just settled down and he was 'done' almost a months ago! He still has some behaviours that un-neutered bucks have but he has stopped humping and spraying and..HE HAS STARTED USING A LITTER TRAY![emoji38]

That's good to hear WillowAndBiscuit :) The only thing to have stopped here is the random poops whilst exploring! But he has never sprayed thankfully.

Still humming, circling and trying to hump arms! Hopefully it won't take too long...

That's good to hear WillowAndBiscuit :) The only thing to have stopped here is the random poops whilst exploring! But he has never sprayed thankfully.

Still humming, circling and trying to hump arms! Hopefully it won't take too long...
You're so lucky that he has never sprayed, it was absolutely awful when Storm used to! Yeah I'm sure it will stop in the next couple of weeks [emoji4]

Back