• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sick bunny - stasis and fight

StuartR

Warren Scout
We have a trio, 2 girls bee and bella and boey their husbun. Boey was here first, bee since September 14 and then bella since November 15

Bee has been ill last couple of days not eating and pooing, went to vets on Friday and they did a dental but still weren't sure why she wasn't eating. Vet told us to seperate bee so we could monitor her which we did on Friday and have been syringe feeding her recovery sachet and Zantac and fiber plex. She did some poos yday morning and would eat a little but was really sad and lonely. We Put them all together yday afternoon so bee wasn't alone but she wasn't getting any food so we bought some puppy dividers to make bee a pen in the living room where she could nibble on mint if she wanted but still be with the others which seemed to work then bee got out and just had a fight with bella... They were on their sides in a circle and bee had bellas foot in her mouth with fur going everywhere I managed to seperate them but now we have a sick bee who's still barely eating and pooing and think their bond is broken. We've checked bella over and think she's ok but worried about her paw as wont put weight on it...Have split the spare room in half with puppy panels left bee alone and boey and bella next to her there's been no aggression but bee has stopped eating and pooing again.

Going to the vets at 9am tomorrow not sure what to do, take them all together or bring bee in s seperate carrier

Oh dear that sounds awful!
It is a relatively new bond between the girls, you didn't mention whether they were both spayed?
Being a relatively new bond it may now be broken unfortunately. I personally wouldn't risk putting them back together as they are likely to cause each other more damage. Keep Bee separate but if they are ok with the puppy divider then keep it like that so they can all still see and smell each other as then there MAY be hope of a re bond later on.
I would take Bee back to the vets as she clearly needs more intervention, did the vet check for a blockage? It's unlikely to be a blockage as she has been having output, she has likely stopped again due to stress but I think she may be in pain and in need of pain relief such as Metacam or ketofen and a different type of gut stimulant to use alongside the Zantac which is called metaclopramide.
Also I advise you to take Bella to the vets as an emergency as if she isn't weight barring she needs to be checked over but take Boey with her so not to risk breaking their bond.

Oh dear that sounds awful!
It is a relatively new bond between the girls, you didn't mention whether they were both spayed?
Being a relatively new bond it may now be broken unfortunately. I personally wouldn't risk putting them back together as they are likely to cause each other more damage. Keep Bee separate but if they are ok with the puppy divider then keep it like that so they can all still see and smell each other as then there MAY be hope of a re bond later on.
I would take Bee back to the vets as she clearly needs more intervention, did the vet check for a blockage? It's unlikely to be a blockage as she has been having output, she has likely stopped again due to stress but I think she may be in pain and in need of pain relief such as Metacam or ketofen and a different type of gut stimulant to use alongside the Zantac which is called metaclopramide.
Also I advise you to take Bella to the vets as an emergency as if she isn't weight barring she needs to be checked over but take Boey with her so not to risk breaking their bond.

Thanks for the reply yes all are neutered. We are all going back to vets at 9am tomorrow so will make sure they give me some pain relief for bee and look at bellas paw. They're all ok at the moment bee is just laying on her side next to the divider, looking lonely this is the first time she's been apart from boey since they were bonded last year and is looking very sad.
Just want her to be back to normal and happy again with her friends 😥😕

Thanks for the reply yes all are neutered. We are all going back to vets at 9am tomorrow so will make sure they give me some pain relief for bee and look at bellas paw. They're all ok at the moment bee is just laying on her side next to the divider, looking lonely this is the first time she's been apart from boey since they were bonded last year and is looking very sad.
Just want her to be back to normal and happy again with her friends ����

I think you will need to leave any attempts at re-bonding until Bee has fully recovered. Stress will just exacerbate a GI tract problem. I do hope that the Vet will be able to help both Bee and Bella this morning.

I think you will need to leave any attempts at re-bonding until Bee has fully recovered. Stress will just exacerbate a GI tract problem. I do hope that the Vet will be able to help both Bee and Bella this morning.

Bella is fine now jumping around and standing on both back paws begging, going to get it checked out anyway. Poor bee hasn't had a great night won't take the critical care just dribbles it out, it's so upsetting watching her like this! Get well soon sqwee bee the grumpiest pokiest bunny we know

Bella is fine now jumping around and standing on both back paws begging, going to get it checked out anyway. Poor bee hasn't had a great night won't take the critical care just dribbles it out, it's so upsetting watching her like this! Get well soon sqwee bee the grumpiest pokiest bunny we know

I'm sure you have, but just a thought. Is Bee able to hide away from the other two for privacy for eating etc? If her and Bella have had a fight she might feel better being able to hide away from them.

I'm sure you have, but just a thought. Is Bee able to hide away from the other two for privacy for eating etc? If her and Bella have had a fight she might feel better being able to hide away from them.

She has a box and tunnel and was laying next to bella through the bars do don't think they hate each other. Been to vet they've kept her in again as she's really limp and lifeless. Going to put her on a drip give her opioids and gut stimulants then do some xrays and blood tests when she perks up a bit. They talked about starting to think is she suffering too much as has been in stasis since Thursday night hope she gets better got to pick her up at 6 15 tonight

She has a box and tunnel and was laying next to bella through the bars do don't think they hate each other. Been to vet they've kept her in again as she's really limp and lifeless. Going to put her on a drip give her opioids and gut stimulants then do some xrays and blood tests when she perks up a bit. They talked about starting to think is she suffering too much as has been in stasis since Thursday night hope she gets better got to pick her up at 6 15 tonight

Oh dear, she does sound to be very poorly indeed :cry: I really hope that she can pull through xx

Sorry to read about your bunny Bee and sending vibes for her recovery - I wonder what caused iit? When she is better you will need to put all 3 bunnies in a separate area in order to rebond them as if you put Bee back in with the other 2 Bella will no doubt attack her, as their bond might have been broken, or Bee may smell differently due to the meds. Sending vibes for Bee's recovery.

Sorry to read about your bunny Bee and sending vibes for her recovery - I wonder what caused iit? When she is better you will need to put all 3 bunnies in a separate area in order to rebond them as if you put Bee back in with the other 2 Bella will no doubt attack her, as their bond might have been broken, or Bee may smell differently due to the meds. Sending vibes for Bee's recovery.

no idea she was fine on Thursday morning then by Thursday after work just wouldn't eat much and was sat in loaf all the time. Friday morning knew she needed the vet so got an emergency appointment when they opened. She had a dental on Friday more to rule it out as Spurs where really small. She's just not bounced back.

Going to keep her seperate from the other 2 until she's better but in same room with puppy dividers as she's a bit more perky with boey around her. Just want her to eat/poo then can worry about rebonding them.

Vet should be calling soon with an update

I'm so very sorry. I really hope she can pull through. I have had rabbits in stasis for a couple of weeks and had they pulled through fine - lots of effort on my part, but worth it, of course.

I hope you have good news this evening.

I'm so very sorry. I really hope she can pull through. I have had rabbits in stasis for a couple of weeks and had they pulled through fine - lots of effort on my part, but worth it, of course.

I hope you have good news this evening.

Vet called she's on the drip had pain killers but still refusing food not pooped and spitting out the critical care syringe. They're going to try a consious X-ray then if shows nothing a blood test which might mean another general anesthetic

Vet called she's on the drip had pain killers but still refusing food not pooped and spitting out the critical care syringe. They're going to try a consious X-ray then if shows nothing a blood test which might mean another general anesthetic

She shouldn't need a GA for a blood test. As she is so poorly a vein may be a bit more tricky to access though.

She really should not need a GA for a blood test. If the vet is patient, you can get a half decent sample and get most of the info anyway, without sedating her.

She really should not need a GA for a blood test. If the vet is patient, you can get a half decent sample and get most of the info anyway, without sedating her.

Its very true.
In her state I would advise against any GA or sedation as they slow down the gut even more. The only reason they'd need to is if the conscious x-ray shows a blockage.

A blood sample can be obtained easily in rabbits they might just need to take a few small samples from both legs as if she's very dehydrated her veins may be a little collapsed.

She had liver failure had to put her to sleep. Sweeeb best bunny in the world I'll love you forever

Back