• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We think it's the wind ...

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
... and other unusual noises that Thumper's suddenly taken an aversion to, causing her colic/stasis episodes.

It has to be.

She was perfectly fine on Thursday during the day, right up until the night when we last checked them around 9pm.

The wind picked up, I could hear it howling around the house Thursday night/Friday morning, it knocked over the bird table (she wouldn't have heard that as it is on grass) so had to be strong as it's brand new and heavy.

Friday morning she was ill, so off to the vet we went. Jab in the scruff, she was eating before we left the vet's. Vet orders she was indoors the majority of the day until the wind died down, around teatime and she was fine (they were both indoors and loving it!) and has been fine ever since.

The wind is set to pick up again Tuesday morning, possibly overnight Monday, with speeds reaching 30mph. They're going to have to come indoors. I don't mind but it's a dreadful inconvenience as we didn't buy the rabbits to have them as house rabbits and as such have nowhere to put them. They go into the utility (recently decorated) and so far have been well-behaved.

They turn 5 in June. I just don't understand why, over the last few months, Thumper has suddenly gone from not minding high winds, gales and even storms, to becoming terrified of them to to point she goes into colic/stasis. Other than of course they're basically coming up to middle age and humans change around that time, so why not animals.

So, looks like we may be having temporary furry house guests from Tuesday morning until it passes. Possibly even from tomorrow - I'll have to keep an eye on the weather forecast, aka expected wind speed.

No point to this thread really other than it's going to be a pain in the neck having to keep an eye on the flipping weather in case it upsets the rabbits, well rabbit! Why has she suddenly changed? (it's okay, that's a rhetorical question).

I didn't sleep very well last night because I noticed in the night the wind had got noisy, and bearing in mind she was only poorly 2 days ago, I was anxious in case she wasn't faring well last night so didn't sleep too good. Ended up dropping off only to wake up and experience a dizzy spell, luckily I was prone in bed, but it still felt weird. I've had a bit of a bad head all day too, still a bit dizzy oddly enough. I'm so tired. I'll be glad when it's all over, without sounding horrible. My daughter, after telling her this, said "you love them too much, that's why you worry". She's quite sharp for a 12-year old. But I'm too old to be feeling ill over worry about the rabbits. I've had enough. So it looks like we'll be having house guests more often than not, for my own sanity/health more than anything, even though we don't have the room.

No point to this thread really. Sorry. Just needed to get it off my chest. I'm just glad they're (she) is insured; that's one thing I don't have to worry about at least.

I can hear the wind building now but it's not supposed to get more than 18/20mph until tomorrow. They should (did yesterday) cope with those speeds. I don't think she'd cope with 25+.

*sighs.

That's really interesting. I live in the Scottish highlands, we get terrific winds up here. My buns lived outside in a shed and enclosure, up to the beginning of November. It was then that we had the forecast for one big storm, after another, and boy they weren't wrong ! I made the decision to bring the buns into the extension, and they've been there ever since. I cannot believe the difference in Toffee since he's been indoors. He's been happier for sure, but the change in his gut and output is remarkable. I haven't changed their diet, so can only put it down to the fact he likes being in out of the wind, and feels more secure. I'm considering keeping them indoors permanently now, instead of putting them back out in the spring.

I think its a sign the bunnies would like to move inside ...and take over your house (they do that):lol:
I'm glad Thumper has recovered well, it must be a worry when they get stasis regularly.

When Lopsy was upstairs in the attic he went through periods of thumping overnight: it wasn't the wind, because it wasn't always windy (and when it was he didn't always thump) but we reckon it was a noise we couldn't hear. Aboleth doesn't like it when next door (car repair side) are on their roof: she stays in the hutch so she can see them! Poor creatures. Hope you can find a solution for Thumper that works for all of you!

Back