• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bun is still shedding fur after I trim it with the electric clipper

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I bought an exotic pet clipper and shave off some of the top layer of her fur. Not every spot on her top of her body, just some spot that I thought was shedding. That trim was done yesterday

Today, I dry comb her w/ my finger, there is still quite a reasonable amt. of fur that I can comb out.

What should I do next w/ the electric trimmer? Because it can trim her fur a lot faster than my finger, and the lesser the time spent, the less nervous she'll be.

the fur that I comb out is the loose, curly fur, the ones that I trim, some of them is the regular short fur. So I'm guessing somehow I didn't trim it right. What's the right way to trim these fur out, i.e., the fur that she's shedding

Last edited:
A common request we had in work on dogs that shed a lot and a myth that we commonly had to dispel - Clipping will not stop shedding! The same amount of hair will still be shed, it will just be shorter. With dogs it's easier to bath and blast most of the loose hair out but of course I would not recommend that for bunnies.

Shedding is pretty much impossible to stop but a good comb every day should help her out.

I wouldn't use the electric clipper at all. I'd just give your bunny a brush or just stroke her with damp hands to take some loose fur off. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is natural for the fur to shed so all you really need to do is brush her. Not sure what you mean by curly fur?

The guard hairs (top coat) is slightly longer and thicker than the undercoat (softer and fluffy). All trimming will do it cut the top half off the guard hairs. The bun will still need to moult them out. I wouldn't advise trimming at all in a normal length fur rabbit. The coat comes through in stages so you'll likely end up cutting off new hairs as well and it won't stop moulting.

It's best to gently pull the lose fur out or brush it.

that's what I used to do in the past years, dry comb them w/ my hands. And it works until last year. 1 of my buns (the other one) is shedding a lot, so I dry comb him. He get really stressed as the dry combing took too long, and he was stressed for at least 1/2 hr. That's why I bought this KM10 Wahl clipper that was design for bunnies.

So I don't know what to do. I can dry comb the other bun in stages, say do 5 min. a no. of times during the day. Or do combo w/ the clipper and dry comb

I only do this during their fur shedding season, i.e., January to February, and July to Aug.

Mine all get a thorough comb through once a week, or twice a week if they are moulting. They are all lionhead crosses with a variety of long, fluffy coats. It takes about 5 mins a rabbit. I use a good quality metal toothed dog comb with a standard gap between the teeth. The longer teeth can get right down through the fluffiest coat. If you work in sections from a parting, you can comb out a lot of loose fur right from the base. Clipping won't stop fur loss through moulting.

alright, I'll trying combing w/ an actual comb then, I just don't want my bun to get stressed out again, but needless to say, I need to get the fur out during shedding season to avoid a GI stasis. It would be nice if some of us post an actual photo of a good comb, thanks

Yes, that is the type of comb I use on all my furries - dogs, cats (all longhair), rabbits and guinea pigs - I have a few combs for the different groups. I rarely use the wide spaced side - mostly on longhair piggies and the rough feathering on the dogs' legs. They do vary in quality, though - but the long teeth are more useful than the cat versions with shorter teeth as you can get right through the undercoat.

The teeth are round (stainless steel?) wire set into the metal shaft. Handles vary - I find wooden ones more comfortable.

Plastic combs can be very sharp and scratch the skin. The teeth break off or get mis-shapen easily. They generally are not up to the job of grooming a thick undercoat. The wire pins on a decent quality metal comb have rounded ends and won't cause any skin damage. Try them on yourself to see the difference.

I have 3 cashmere rabbits who need grooming once a week and twice a week when they are moulting. Two of them are 8 years old. They never like it but they do get used to it. I don't like the fact that it upsets them one little bit but it just has to be done. They do get resigned to it and stop being panicky fairly quickly. Give them a treat afterwards helps the relationship! I also use a comb on them

I have use the comb in the past few days, and it works very nicely. I go w/ the combing on my bun who's shedding fur, and I do it every few hours, and I comb her about 2 to 3 min.

But I will stick to plastic comb. Just so happen I have to get a hair cut on Monday, and the lady who does my hair, has been my hair stylist for over 15+ yr. She's very knowledgeable. She said metal comb is strong and each stick does not bend, so the stick locks the fur very firmly as you comb it. And that is precisely what I DO NOT want. As that can pull their skin along w/ it. Their skin is very sensitive and thin. I have pull a small patch of their fur to the skin level just by wet finger combing.

plastic comb sticks are bendable, if you slowly brush their fur, it won't lock the fur at all, as it is not as strong

Human hair is very different from rabbit fur - especially if the rabbit is of a longhaired variety. I would suggest asking for the advice of a pet groomer as they would have more relevant experience of the type of fur you are dealing with. However, I am glad that you are making good progress with your rabbit's coat.

Back