• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding....is this normal? Help!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
So I made a thread mentioning this in Chat but now I am stuck and need help!

I'm bonding my friend's buns. I've never done it before. It's been going well, a few scuffles and humping but generally they seemed happy to be around each other. They shared dinner earlier and were snuggled up together in the litter tray...there have been a few grooming sessions too.

Just now they had a massive fight, Blackberry bit Lily's ear and drew blood :? Is it normal for the to go backwards like this? Is there a chance of them bonding ok or does behaviour like this mean they'll never be ok as a pair?

Also I was wondering whether I should leave them loose together or separate and re-introduce later. :? They are ignoring each other at the minute.

Could you give us a little bit of info such as sex of the rabbits, whether or not both are neutered, age, how long have they been close to one another.

Ignoring each other is usually a good sign as it means that they are not bothered by each other's presence :) If they have already been grooming/snuggling then it is unlikely that they are incompatible, otherwise they would have just fought constantly from the beginning. They are probably just trying to establish who is top bun, but neither want to be submissive.

Had you increased the area or changed anything before they started fighting? Also, make sure you keep an eye on her ear and if it shows signs of infection then get your friend to take her to the vet to get it checked out.

Blackberry (M) is 3 ish, not sure on Lily, (F) she looks a few years older. They're rescues who came in without a definite age. They're both neutered and were only introduced yesterday.

They had another massive fight at 5am and Lily was screaming so I've separated them for now. Can't think of anything that would have triggered it :? I've cleaned the ear with a bit of salt water and will keep an eye on it. :)

I feel for you (& Lily)...it sounds like quite a difficult bond. I've never had the experience of them going from grooming to fighting, it seems very up & down:(

I'm sorry I'm of no help. Like you I'd separate them - & maybe have a chat with your friend. Hows your bunnies? I hope they are bonding easier

Thanks joey+boo :wave:

Typically mine are fine :lol: I'm pleased for them, but I feel like I've got the better end of this deal and my friend has lost out. :(

I talked to her earlier, we decided to leave the buns in adjacent pens for now, take it from there, maybe let them be together again later. I am at work this week and there's no way I can leave them together while I'm out so I will have to separate them during the day and re introduce for 'dates' in the evening. We will see how it goes and if there's no progress we're not going to force it, there will be other more suitable partners for L + B so there's no point stressing them out by trying to force them together. Poor Lil was terrified this morning :(

thanks again x

As they are both older and ex Rescue anything could have haappened in their lives making it difficult or even impossible to bond them with another rabbit. I would tend to advise giving thrm lots of time to settle, and to get to know one another etc before trying them again.

Ta :) We thought Lil would be easy as she was happily bonded with another bun previously. Who knows what's going on in their furry heads though!

Blackberry (M) is 3 ish, not sure on Lily, (F) she looks a few years older. They're rescues who came in without a definite age. They're both neutered and were only introduced yesterday.

They had another massive fight at 5am and Lily was screaming so I've separated them for now. Can't think of anything that would have triggered it :? I've cleaned the ear with a bit of salt water and will keep an eye on it. :)

It's rather surprising, to be sure. I would suspect (only a thought, mind) that something might be going on 'physically' for one of the buns?

So I would have done exactly what you've done, and separate - you can't have all out warfare. And let them settle separately for a week or two and make sure both are in tip top health before attempting again.

You have done you're best. I can't think it's anything you've done, and must be something going on for one/both of them ....

Back