• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal Run Help

Hi Guys,

First post here, I have 3 rabbits, not sure what they are exactly but they are mix breed between giant and normal (not brilliant with the breed names). The issue is I need to get them a new run. I am having issues with them chewing through all the wooden runs I get them. I have tried everything to stop them from chewing them, but nothing works. I am thinking of getting them a metal run but all the ones I find are too big for the garden. Really need one that is around 1.5m x 2m. It is highly preferable that I be able to get in there with them as well so I can give them attention and care for them easier.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I really want to give them a run they can enjoy and not eat. Hope somebody can help.

Thanks In Advance

Mike Charlie

I can't advise on metal runs but if rabbits are put in runs which are too small for them they will try to get out, especially if the rabbits are not neutered.

Hi Mike Charlie: mine are currently in a metal run which is about 1mx1.5m, plus a little extra puppy pen which is about 2.5m square for supervised estra space. I wouldn't recommend my run though: it's never fitted together properly and it seems one of the panels has been put on back-to-front or upside down. It's also pretty unstable, partly because it doean't fit together properly, but I won't put my washing basket on it like I do with the wooden one.

You could remesh a wooden one so the mesh is on the inside, bwteen the rabbits and the wood? If it's been meshed on the outside you'll have plenty of mesh to do the inside. Aviary panels are often recommended as they're big and modular, and tall enough to get into, so if you can get those you can, presumably, assemble them 'inside out' with the mesh facing inwards.

Metal runs are not recommended, there's a safety warning here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...osure-please-read&highlight=Metal+run+warning
I would only ever use wooden framed with 16 or 19 gauge weldmesh. If you have the mesh the on the inside they won't be able to get to the framework to chew it.

Oh god that's awful. Just to be clear I was more on about something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FeelGoodUK-CAGE-04-Galvanised-Cage/dp/B00UXBS2QK/ref=pd_sim_199_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=61IN9oZ8GoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0EP2AV8G40S81WN9E7BC

I might try putting the mesh on the inside of the next run I make but slightly worried if they ever manage to chew the mesh from the inside and cause it to be a sharp edge that they could hurt themselves on.

I can't advise on metal runs but if rabbits are put in runs which are too small for them they will try to get out, especially if the rabbits are not neutered.

That would probably explain why only two are always trying to escape. We had the male neutered and did not neuter the two females. The females are always the ones that are trying to escape. I thought we had given them enough room but it seems I was wrong. How much would you recommend for them?

Well tbh your existing size run isn't really big enough for 1 of your rabbits let alone 3. You need to do some deep thinking , see how much space you can use, whether it's on grass or slabs. If it's grass your females will probably try to dig out and in the Autumn the grass will turn to mud. If you can afford it, an aviary is much more popular nowadays with a link to their hutch. A shed/aviary is the best combination but not everyone can go to those lengths. The minimum size of a run for 3 medium to large rabbits would be in the region of 12' long by as wide as possible. It sounds big but rabbits need to run and binky when let free.

Someone else asked about a run similar to the FeelGoodUK one you put a link up for. I think they are a good idea - but the mesh is held on the frame with cable ties. All my rabbits would nibble them off in no time. I would suggest using thicker garden wire to fasten it on at all points which could be reached by bunnies (below 3'?). I would probably double up on the recommended number of fastening points as well - just to make it more dog / fox proof, and cable ties don't last forever so it would provide some extra security measures. If it is a particularly wet or windy site, you could fit clear perspex (greenhouse type) sheeting along the bottom 2' or 3' to provide additional weather protection.

an aviary is much more popular nowadays with a link to their hutch. A shed/aviary is the best combination
Just wanted to second this as an extra bonus of the shed/aviary combo is that you have a lot of height to work with so you can go UPWARDS and add lots of extra ramps and ledges for the rabbits to run up and sit on. This can massively extend the amount of overall space the rabbits have (so important, especially with larger rabbits like you have) and running up the ramps/jumping on boxes etc is good exercise for them too!

As others have suggested, a good temporary solution is to get a wooden run with the mesh on the inside. :)

I've got some very chewwy bunnies and their runs are made from Aviary panels with the mesh on the inside. They have never managed to do any damage to the run. The only hard part was around the door, where there was soom wood I have to protect it with metal cornering.

The only hard part was around the door, where there was soom wood I have to protect it with metal cornering.
Ooh, that's a good idea! My new run has stability struts across the bottom and I was wondering what to do about them! I'll try corner supports :)

The only hard part was around the door, where there was soom wood I have to protect it with metal cornering.
I've done this around the windows and doors in my shed and it works a treat! :D

You can kind of see it in this pic:

I've done this around the windows and doors in my shed and it works a treat! :D

You can kind of see it in this pic:

Sadly I can't see the pic?

Eta - how bizarre, the pic isn't showing for me in your post, just a little empty square, but when I quoted your post it shows up on mine :?:lol:

You could get an aviary which means you can go in there with them and if they are chewing give them things to keep them occupied in there.

Someone else asked about a run similar to the FeelGoodUK one you put a link up for. I think they are a good idea - but the mesh is held on the frame with cable ties. All my rabbits would nibble them off in no time. I would suggest using thicker garden wire to fasten it on at all points which could be reached by bunnies (below 3'?). I would probably double up on the recommended number of fastening points as well - just to make it more dog / fox proof, and cable ties don't last forever so it would provide some extra security measures. If it is a particularly wet or windy site, you could fit clear perspex (greenhouse type) sheeting along the bottom 2' or 3' to provide additional weather protection.
I got a large 10ftx10ftx6ft run from FeelGoodUk and it is excellent. As Shimmer says, the mesh is fitted on with cable ties though so I would advise using something else if you have 'chewwy' bunnies. I have also put mesh in the ground underneath the run to stop the bunnies digging out or foxes digging in. You can buy them with a waterproof cover too so that even when it's raining you can still go in there with them without getting wet!

Only problem you may have is with their heads getting stuck in the mesh. My bunnies are both small to medium size and their head fits through perfectly so that can stick their heads through and eat the grass on the outside of the run without getting stuck and injuring themselves, but their bodies don't fit through so they can't get out. I wouldn't recommend for a dwarf bunny though as they may be able to fit through the mesh, and I would be wary with larger rabbits that their heads may get stuck. An easy solution to this however is covering the bottom ft or so with chicken wire or more mesh so that they cannot fit any part of their body through at all.

Back