• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absolutely gutted - let down re: new rabbit.

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
When Mack died I sent the woman I got him from a message to say if she was re-homing any giant bunnies in the future could she let me know.
She messaged me back to say she would be happy for me to take an 11m/o giant she has who is blind in one eye but is the most friendly rabbit she's ever come accross, I thought it was very soon but I've always felt like if something falls in to place it's meant to be. I was going to go up on my birthday (the 31st) to get him.
Today she messaged me to say she can't part with him. I didn't think I would feel so utterly disappointed :(

Not much point to this thread really.

I'm sorry it wasn't meant to be :(

I agree it's disappointing and I'm not someone who copes easily with disappointments, so what I would do is to have a good look round and try to find another giant rabbit in need of a home. You have got used to the idea of having another rabbit now, so try to find one :)

Yeah, it's funny, when she first said about him I felt it was far too soon and there were all these issues but I had gotten really excited about it. She was banging on about how lovely and affectionate he is to explain why she'd decided to keep him and it's made it worse :lol:
Found a neutered 4m/o 2 hours away, he went this morning. Have emailed someone else about a neutered 8m/o 3 hours away.

I feel like I'm meant to be going to get a rabbit on my birthday and I am pretty determined to make that happen now :lol:

That said, there is a breeder I would be 100% happy to pay for a rabbit and I think they're expecting a litter in the summer if rehoming one doesn't work out. She takes excellent care of the rabbits. They live in sheds with attached runs and after two litters the does are spayed and bonded in to a group. Couldn't ask for better.

Went to take the phone number for the second one I emailed about and the page is gone so I'm guessing he was rehomed too

But the breeder is expecting a litter around March to be ready around June so that's not too long and gives me a bit of time to see if a rescue comes up.

She is absolutely gorgeous and not too far, but I think it's sensible to get a male as it would to be bonded with two girls.
Thankyou for looking though, she is really beautiful and only 8 months old which is ideal!

She is absolutely gorgeous and not too far, but I think it's sensible to get a male as it would to be bonded with two girls.
Thankyou for looking though, she is really beautiful and only 8 months old which is ideal!

Ah yes, sorry, I had forgotten about the girlies :)

Sorry it didn't work out :( It's surprising how hard it is when you set your heart on something and then it falls through. Hope your perfect bun turns up soon. :)

Sorry for your disappointment. I'm sure that somebun will be out there, just waiting for you to find him :love:

It was within a week of giving up all hope that Mack popped up, maybe all I need to do is forget about it!

I've just had a message from the one that was taken down. He hasn't gone, she's just not sure whether to rehome him or not. Turns out she's someone I happen to be friends with on fb through a group, so I asked her to let me know if she decides to rehome him in future as she'll get all his updates :)

It was within a week of giving up all hope that Mack popped up, maybe all I need to do is forget about it!

I've just had a message from the one that was taken down. He hasn't gone, she's just not sure whether to rehome him or not. Turns out she's someone I happen to be friends with on fb through a group, so I asked her to let me know if she decides to rehome him in future as she'll get all his updates :)

It would be so much better (for the bunny :)) if you rehome one from a rescue rather than purchase from a breeder.
Just my point of view..

If a suitable rabbit is available in rescue of course I'll be rescuing, failing that a private rehome, but if neither of those happen in the next 6 months then I'm more than happy to buy from this particular breeder.

It is highly selfish of me to want a rabbit a year old or younger, but giants have short lifespans and I've had such bad luck with my last two dying after just a couple of years with me that I really want to give myself the best chance of having this one for a good few years.

ETA: Just to clarify, Mack was on a wait list to go in to rescue when I got him (the rescue organised it). The woman he was from is about to have a baby and had been rehoming some of her rabbits as she had very large numbers, which is why I got in touch. The 11m/o was one she'd rehomed from someone she knew because he was blind in one eye and they couldn't breed from him.

Last edited:
Back