• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Showing rabbits

Dylan123

Warren Scout
hi, sorry if this post isn't allowed but I was wondering if there are any members who show their rabbits. I have a DM Lion Lop and was talking to someone who says he has great type and would make a great show rabbit. Is showing rabbits stressful? Can anyone give me advice on showing?

hi, sorry if this post isn't allowed but I was wondering if there are any members who show their rabbits. I have a DM Lion Lop and was talking to someone who says he has great type and would make a great show rabbit. Is showing rabbits stressful? Can anyone give me advice on showing?

Most people on here do not show their Rabbits,but there are a few members/Breeders on here who do. They seldom post though. You may find some more information (which will be pro showing) here:

http://www.thebrc.org/

My personal opinion, (not that what I think matters to anyone but me !!), is that there is absolutely no benefits to the Rabbits from Showing. It is all for the benefit of the owner/breeder. A boost to the ego for them, a bit of competition between other breeders etc. Some Rabbits may adapt to all the stress of travelling, crowded shows etc. Many will find it all very stressful.

I would never Show a Rabbit, other than on here via lots of Photos of my Rabbits happy in their home environment.

Also, with the current serious situation regarding the 'new' strain of RVHD, 'RVHD2' I would not go anywhere near any show where Rabbits were present.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?452651-Important-Information-Re-RVHD2-Please-Read

Relatively few Breeders vaccinate their Rabbits anyway and at the moment the RVHD2 vaccination programme for any owner/breeder wanting their Rabbits to be vaccinated has only just (this week) begun.

It's bad enough that over the last 2-3 years some Breeders have started to import Rabbits to the UK (not sure about NI, where you are) from parts of Europe where the RVHD2 outbreaks started :cry:

Last edited:
I agree with Jane that there isn't any benefit to the rabbit - and I imagine they would find it quite stressful having to travel and then being in a big noisy new place etc.
One of my rabbits came to me with a ring on her leg because her parents were pedigree show rabbits I think, but I've had it taken off (mainly because I hate it) but also because I'd never put her in a show or anything anyway because she's very skittish and I know she would hate the environment and she HATES people, so wouldn't appreciate being looked at all day and then handled by anyone.
I've never seen a rabbit show but I have always wondered how people go about inspecting a rabbit for a show - I can't imagine any of mine staying still long enough for someone to judge whether they are good enough! :lol:
Could you see if there are any local rescues that do 'shows' that you could take yours along to? My local one did one before Christmas to raise money for the small animal section but it wasn't a serious show. They had categories like 'rabbit most people want to take home' or 'most energetic' etc. Also means it's less far to travel for the rabbit.

I agree with Jane.

Two of my current bunnies were entered in shows by their prior owners who were 4H teenagers. The still have permanent tatoos in their ears and I am sure that did not feel good to the bunnies.
One of these owners had his own line which means he was also a breeder. Heidi became available because he no longer wanted to breed and show bunnies because it was hard to find good homes for the ones who were not/no longer show quality. The other owner was moving and surrendered her bunny to a rescue where the teenage 4H girl volunteered.

If you still wanted to learn more about your breed of rabbit and to compare your bunny to the 'standard of perfection'; you may be surprised to learn that points are awarded for many aspects, including showmanship and condition. You may also learn that strict standards may state that show bunnies cannot be spayed or neutered, something I would never recommended for health reasons.

I think shows are ok for young people, it helps them to take more of an interest in their rabbits, but serious showing doesn't always have the welfare of the animal at heart. Take Dutch rabbits, there is only 1 rabbit in around 50 that is suitable for showing. That leaves 49 needing to be rehomed! :cry:

I think shows are ok for young people, it helps them to take more of an interest in their rabbits, but serious showing doesn't always have the welfare of the animal at heart. Take Dutch rabbits, there is only 1 rabbit in around 50 that is suitable for showing. That leaves 49 needing to be rehomed! :cry:

Indeed :thumb:

Think also about the way show rabbits are kept, usually by breeders, in very tiny (sometimes 2 foot cages without any hay or enrichment), and think whether you could be happy as part of that community.

Also, what would the rabbit get out of this? In my view, the rabbit's welfare is paramount to the way we keep them.

I have decided not to show,I don't want to cause stress to the rabbit,as far as I know his daddy was imported from the UK from a show breeder and he is brc rung. There are no rescues anywhere near me that deal with small furries. There is a pet show though,would this be stressful to the rabbit?

I didn't realize how stressful it was until watching that video,when I used to show silkie and chickens it wasn't nearly as bad as that. I'm definitely not going to show.

I didn't realize how stressful it was until watching that video,when I used to show silkie and chickens it wasn't nearly as bad as that. I'm definitely not going to show.

I'm relieved you think the same having seen the video. Enjoy your furry friends at home with you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a wise choice - I'm not a massive fan of showing either. But do stick around and show photos of your bun on here if you would like to, he sounds like a handsome chap so I'm sure everyone will be pleased to see him!

Thank you for all of the replies I'm definitely not going to show I wouldn't put him under unnecassary stress like that I treat him more like a child than a rabbit!

Most people on here do not show their Rabbits,but there are a few members/Breeders on here who do. They seldom post though. You may find some more information (which will be pro showing) here:

http://www.thebrc.org/

My personal opinion, (not that what I think matters to anyone but me !!), is that there is absolutely no benefits to the Rabbits from Showing. It is all for the benefit of the owner/breeder. A boost to the ego for them, a bit of competition between other breeders etc. Some Rabbits may adapt to all the stress of travelling, crowded shows etc. Many will find it all very stressful.

I would never Show a Rabbit, other than on here via lots of Photos of my Rabbits happy in their home environment.

Also, with the current serious situation regarding the 'new' strain of RVHD, 'RVHD2' I would not go anywhere near any show where Rabbits were present.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?452651-Important-Information-Re-RVHD2-Please-Read

Relatively few Breeders vaccinate their Rabbits anyway and at the moment the RVHD2 vaccination programme for any owner/breeder wanting their Rabbits to be vaccinated has only just (this week) begun.

It's bad enough that over the last 2-3 years some Breeders have started to import Rabbits to the UK (not sure about NI, where you are) from parts of Europe where the RVHD2 outbreaks started :cry:

:thumb:

Back