• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Squeaky bunny u/d home

Glingle

Warren Veteran
I took Bramble (8yr old Netherland dwarf) to the vets last week for her vaccs but noticed when I picked her up that she sounded what I can only describe as squeaky. I told the vet who listened to her chest and said she sounded raspy. Obviously we postponed her vac and she had a week of 0.25ml baytril twice a day. She still sounds squeaky, but you can't hear it when she is in her territory, you need to be holding her. The vet today didn't seem the most rabbit savvy as it was an urgent appointment I had no choice of vet. He said it didn't seem to be in her lungs, more her nose and thinks it might be an irritation of her upper respiratory tract. He said he was reluctant to continue the baytril and prescribed loxicom once a day for 5 days. Anyone any experience of this?

Last edited:
Loxicom is the same as Metacam, so it's anti-inflammatory pain relief. I think I would take her back to the vet who first examined her as he can then determine whether there has been an improvement in her chest.

Sending vibes for little Bramble.

matt used to squeak aswell (chronic upper respiratory bun) and bisc still does when he washes (a milder case of the same problem) - giving metacam is a good idea to bring down any nasal swelling and an antibiotic is also good, although not usually baytril, and for alot longer if they suspect a respiratory infection. from experience i'd say get to a rabbit savvy vet soon and get on top of this as soon as possible :)

matt used to squeak aswell (chronic upper respiratory bun) and bisc still does when he washes (a milder case of the same problem) - giving metacam is a good idea to bring down any nasal swelling and an antibiotic is also good, although not usually baytril, and for alot longer if they suspect a respiratory infection. from experience i'd say get to a rabbit savvy vet soon and get on top of this as soon as possible :)

Yes, I think bm is right about consulting the more Rabbit Savvy Vet. Sometimes elongated tooth roots (which can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs) can result in a Rabbit developing a 'nasal squeak'. Nethies in particular can be prone to this due to the shape of their skull. 'Santa's' little Nethie (called Santa!) had a similar problem.

Also, as bm stated, a short course of Baytril is unlikely to have any real impact on a URTI. Often a different type of abx is needed and for a much longer course. Treatment needs to continue for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved. But obviously the Vet first needs to try to establish exactly what is going on

Sending 'de-squeaky' vibes for Bramble :love:

Thank you for all the advice. She had a dental in July, her first ever, bless her and blood work then to check her kidney function (all ok), so dental related is a possibility. I'll try the loxicom over the weekend and book her back in on Monday with a better vet! (Autocorrect changed that to a better version!). I was a little dubious about the vet when he checked Parsleys chest as a control. She seems ok in herself at the moment, seen her hopping about in the run, chinning things and hopping up onto the step they have. If I'm at all concerned about her I'll be hammering on the vets door!

Thank you for all the advice. She had a dental in July, her first ever, bless her and blood work then to check her kidney function (all ok), so dental related is a possibility. I'll try the loxicom over the weekend and book her back in on Monday with a better vet! (Autocorrect changed that to a better version!). I was a little dubious about the vet when he checked Parsleys chest as a control. She seems ok in herself at the moment, seen her hopping about in the run, chinning things and hopping up onto the step they have. If I'm at all concerned about her I'll be hammering on the vets door!

Well Bramble certainly sounds to be feeling fine within herself !

I had a nethie who squeaked most of his entire life. No antibiotics made a difference to him! You could perhaps ask the vet for bisolvon to thin the mucous in in the nose, as if there's anything up there - hay or whatever - it may perhaps be released as well?

Good luck! I like your autocorrect supplying another version of a vet :lol:

Been back to the vets today. Chest is totally clear so vet was happy to vaccinate with the combi vac which is good as it was due end of December. She's advised continuing with the loxicom for a few more days and she is going to look up what is best for opening up rabbit airways and will order some in incase it is needed. She also suggested a head X-ray if it doesn't improve to look for foreign bodies, fluid sacs, teeth roots etc. Bramble continues to be her normal self, still insisting in sitting out in the rain!

Been back to the vets today. Chest is totally clear so vet was happy to vaccinate with the combi vac which is good as it was due end of December. She's advised continuing with the loxicom for a few more days and she is going to look up what is best for opening up rabbit airways and will order some in incase it is needed. She also suggested a head X-ray if it doesn't improve to look for foreign bodies, fluid sacs, teeth roots etc. Bramble continues to be her normal self, still insisting in sitting out in the rain!

that all sounds positive. nebulising was brilliant for matt, and still is for bisc (he only needs it occasionally) - so this could be something to look into aswell :wave:

I also have a 8yr old nethie who constantly squeaks he has been to the vets a number of times they can't find anything wrong with him...Hi chest, Teeth are all ok ,he has no other syptoms ,my vet said nethies Can develop nasal problems as they get older due to the flat short nose x

I also have a 8yr old nethie who constantly squeaks he has been to the vets a number of times they can't find anything wrong with him...Hi chest, Teeth are all ok ,he has no other syptoms ,my vet said nethies Can develop nasal problems as they get older due to the flat short nose x
I have a young Nethie so I guess this is something I get to look forward to, yay....[emoji21]

So, the vet phoned me back about Bramble as her squeak was still there and suggested we try steroids and antihistamines. She was booked in last Monday to start the meds. I had to cancel the appointment as I had a vomiting bug. On Saturday I noticed that her left eye was looking a bit watery. We've been back to the vets this morning and she agrees that the eye could be a tooth root as she has a molar on that side that is higher than the others. She's booked in on Friday afternoon for a chest and head x-Ray, any necessary dental work and bloods to look for infection or inflammation markers. Bramble is still fine in herself, doing mad circuits of the run and nicking food out of Parsley's mouth!

So, the vet phoned me back about Bramble as her squeak was still there and suggested we try steroids and antihistamines. She was booked in last Monday to start the meds. I had to cancel the appointment as I had a vomiting bug. On Saturday I noticed that her left eye was looking a bit watery. We've been back to the vets this morning and she agrees that the eye could be a tooth root as she has a molar on that side that is higher than the others. She's booked in on Friday afternoon for a chest and head x-Ray, any necessary dental work and bloods to look for infection or inflammation markers. Bramble is still fine in herself, doing mad circuits of the run and nicking food out of Parsley's mouth!

I hope the diagnostics will shed some light on what's going on. I'm glad that Bramble is still oblivious to any problem at all !!

Thank you for updating, Glingle :)

It's going to be a bit of a day of it then for Ms Bramble on Friday.

Wishing her loads and loads of vibes for a successful diagnostic adventure, though sure she won't see it that way :)

I hope all goes well on Friday and you are able to find out exactly what the problem is. Will keep you both in my thoughts on Friday. xx

Thank you for the good wishes. I'm a little worried as she is only 1.2kg and will be 9 in July, but I feel we need to get it sorted before she becomes distressed by it or at least rule out any nasties. She is such a little poppet, she will sit still on the vets table and takes her meds so easily and loves a fuss (on her terms of course!). She's been a bit wary of me after so much picking up for meds recently. She does make me laugh though, Parsley will dive through the hatch into the shed for breakfast whereas she wil stay in the run and pop her paws up on the bottom of the hatch (it's about 5 inches off the run floor) and stick her head up and take a treat off you, reminds me so much of a kid at the ice cream van window!

Hi there everyone. It's funny - my Nethie (4 years old) is a squeaky little thing, too. Well, it's more of a creak than a squeak! She has done it all her life pretty much constantly - when she moves around that is, rather than sitting still. It is more pronounced when she is excited and happy, ironically. She's been vaccinated regularly and had a GA with her dental last week, and I've not noticed any problems resulting from that. Hope it continues that way :)

Back