• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I killed another rabbit

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I swore, after Badger, I would never do anything like that again. Tonight, I had Butterfly PTS because I managed to get confused with vaccine dates and he was unvaccinated. We thought it was conjunctivitis last week, but it appeared to progress on, but worst, his tongue was all necrotic and that happened quickly and unexpectedly. Likely a secondary infection to some form of myxo (not typical myxo because he didn't present like that at all, but some milder form).

I killed another rabbit. If he had been vaccinated then this would never have happened.

I don't deserve friends.

Butterfly didn't deserve this.

Oh no! This isn't at all your fault. You are not to blame. Binky free Butterfly. He had a wonderful life with you and was well loved and cared for. Not your fault. You loved Butterfly.

Last edited:
Please try not to be so hard on yourself, its not easy remembering vaccination dates when you have a number of animals.
Butterfly was obviously a well loved boy and I'm sure you gave him a happy life. X

Please try not to be so hard on yourself, its not easy remembering vaccination dates when you have a number of animals.
Butterfly was obviously a well loved boy and I'm sure you gave him a happy life. X

Absolutely this. Think of the life Butterfly had with you. He was happy. That is all that mattered to him.

If this was even atypical myxi then who knows if the same would have happened if he was vaccinated? the outcome could have been just the same ... except of course you would have had the reassurance that you had protected him. I don't know how many years Butterfly had been vaccinated (therefore how much immunity already existed) but I strongly believe that your error didn't lead to this happening ... he was just very unlucky, as were you.

(hugs) it's hard not to take responsibility for these things.

You are grieving and naturally blaming yourself. This still may have happened as the myxi vaccination isn't a 100% cover. You loved and cared deeply for Butterfly, we cannot protect them against everything. Thinking of you and so sorry you had to say goodbye to Butterfly. Xxx

I wont try to tell you not to feel responsible, you can only feel as you feel and no matter what anyone else may say I know that you will blame yourself. I think you are being very hard on yourself, but what I think is of little significance, it's how you feel that matters.

I am just so sorry that you have lost Butterfly xx

This isn't your fault at all! Stop putting yourself down.

When i got my first pair of rabbits i was so overwhelmed with the work and care that you had for them (even though 6 months of research ahead did not prepare me enough) that vaccinations completely slipped my mind. They ended up getting myxamotosis and had to be put down.

That was a few years back now so i've definitely learnt my lesson.

So sorry for your loss. :( I say this a lot, but...try to imagine what you would say to someone else in this situation. Then say it to yourself.

Sorry you think you have killed another rabbit. We know you better than that, and even if you did get the dates wrong, no-one is perfect all the time.

There are different strains of myxomatosis just as there are VHD, vaccination isn't a guarantee. I vaccinate my dog against kennel cough religiously every year...he got kennel cough...twice, that's even with the vaccination on board. As Jacks Jane said you can only feel the way you feel and no one and no amount of words can change that, but reading through this post you clearly have a lot of support and understanding. My opinion wont matter but please don't blame yourself, this wasn't your fault.

We had a wonderful wonderful rabbit called Hawthorn who was fully vaccinated and very up to date and had been all the years we had him - and he got a very atypical myxi with extreme reactions - despite all we could do he had to be pts after a mammoth 5 week struggle.

Atypical myxis are very very difficult, vaccination may make no difference.

Sorry for your loss.

Its not your fault however as even if he was up to date with vaccines it doesn't prevent infection. It just helps them recover quicker if they happen to catch it & reduces the symptoms so they are less severe x

Hindsight is wonderful. You acted on the symptoms and you cared enough to prevent more suffering. Sometimes (mostly?) that is all we can do.

RIP beautiful Butterfly.

So sorry for your loss. Accidents happen and that is what it was, but I know how you feel x

Back