• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandruff on rabbit?

Hi everyone,

I have a netherland dwarf who's about 1 and I'd noticed the fur on the back of his neck was a bit greasy, he's been moulting a lot recently so I wasn't too worried about it and carried on brushing him. Just got back from a week long trip and I've noticed the greasy patch now looks like dandruff.

His coat is fine everywhere else (bar the moulting EVERYWHERE) and I don't really wash him unless he really needs it but even then I only wash his bum area, never up by his head.

Any suggestions on what it could be/what I should do?

It sounds like mites. Your vet should confirm this (& give him a health check ). Its simple to treat. Its good you don't wash your bunny..its never really advisable. good luck

I think it sounds like mites as well. Very easy to treat once confirmed by a vet.

Hi everyone,

I have a netherland dwarf who's about 1 and I'd noticed the fur on the back of his neck was a bit greasy, he's been moulting a lot recently so I wasn't too worried about it and carried on brushing him. Just got back from a week long trip and I've noticed the greasy patch now looks like dandruff.

His coat is fine everywhere else (bar the moulting EVERYWHERE) and I don't really wash him unless he really needs it but even then I only wash his bum area, never up by his head.

Any suggestions on what it could be/what I should do?

Sounds like mites to me as well :thumb:

If it is, your vet will give either an injection, or a spot on treatment. This is one dose repeated every two weeks, for three doses. Also if you have any other rabbits, they need to be treated as well!

Good luck!

I've seen anti parasite Ivermectin for rabbits on the pets at home website, could I use this or does he need to see a vet?

That is a very weak concentration of Ivermectin and seldom completely resolves the problem. Also, it is important to establish that the problem really is mites before you start using nasty chemicals on your Bunny. So personally I would seek a consultation from a Rabbit Savvy Vet to obtain a definitive diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment.

Also, mites (if that is what he has) can occur if a Rabbit is not quite in full over-all good health. So a thorough MOT with a Rabbit Savvy Vet would be a good idea

Good luck

What Jane said.

You shouldn't need to bath a rabbit at all. The fact that you are doing his bum means that something isn't quite right anyway. Ask the vet for a full check up (including teeth, diet, etc). Combing out the excess loose fur would also help - it could cause problems if a lot of it is ingested. Mine are all moulting buckets full at the moment.

Mites (if that is what it is) are fairly easy to treat with the right stuff. Finding out why it happened is the reason for the MOT - and to nip any other issues in the early stages.

I've seen anti parasite Ivermectin for rabbits on the pets at home website, could I use this or does he need to see a vet?

Even though I must have seen mites on rabbits hundreds of times, I still like to get confirmation (and treatment) from my vet. I always find it works best - never fails!

Back