• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please!!

Maddymoo78

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I'm in some need of some advice. My mini lop ear Rabbit Moka has antibiotics for an infection in his eye. This evening while attempting to administer his medication he became upset and struggled a lot while being handled. Moka is roughly around 7 months old and although he has a lot of interaction we rarely pick him up or handle him in way he will find distressing. My other half attempted to keep hold of him, I asked my other half to let him go in order to prevent harm and further distress. But I feel it was to late, Moka is now limping while moving around, he will hold his back left leg up and does not appear to be weight bearing :( I know I need to get him to the vets as soon as I can to assess the damage. I was just curious how I can look after him until then. He hasn't stopped eating and he has pooped. I have currently caged him to prevent further damage to his leg. However this has meant separating him from his brother. Was this the right thing to do? Is there any thing else I can do? I'm just really worried about him. I am a new bunny owner (5 months) and have found this whole ordeal really distressing. I just want to ensure I am looking after him properly until I can get a vets appointment :(

Thank you for taking the time to read

Hello everyone,

I'm in some need of some advice. My mini lop ear Rabbit Moka has antibiotics for an infection in his eye. This evening while attempting to administer his medication he became upset and struggled a lot while being handled. Moka is roughly around 7 months old and although he has a lot of interaction we rarely pick him up or handle him in way he will find distressing. My other half attempted to keep hold of him, I asked my other half to let him go in order to prevent harm and further distress. But I feel it was to late, Moka is now limping while moving around, he will hold his back left leg up and does not appear to be weight bearing :( I know I need to get him to the vets as soon as I can to assess the damage. I was just curious how I can look after him until then. He hasn't stopped eating and he has pooped. I have currently caged him to prevent further damage to his leg. However this has meant separating him from his brother. Was this the right thing to do? Is there any thing else I can do? I'm just really worried about him. I am a new bunny owner (5 months) and have found this whole ordeal really distressing. I just want to ensure I am looking after him properly until I can get a vets appointment :(

Thank you for taking the time to read

I would give your Vets Emergency Service a call to obtain their advice. They may suggest you to do as you already have done- ie confine him to prevent further damage to the limb and bring him in to the Surgery in the morning. But they may suggest bringing him in tonight, he could need some pain relief if nothing else. Hopefully there are no fractures just a sprain/bruising.

I'd keep him close by his Brother so they can still interact through the cage bars even if they are not actually caged together overnight.

Hello there and welcome! Sorry you have had this upset with your bunny. They do tend to struggle a lot and you have to hold them firmly against your body. Anyway, it's not a good idea to separate him from his brother as it could be difficult to get them back together, can you put them both in a smaller area? Hopefully you will be able to get him to a Vet soon in order to ascertain what might have happened. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Thank you both for your quick responses, I really appreciate your advice.
Tonibun it has been a very upsetting situation we both feel awful that we have caused this unnesscary pain to him and he did not get his full dosage of antibiotics either :(

I really don't like the idea of keeping them apart as they have never been separated. However I'm torn by not wanting him to damage his leg further by moving around. They have their own area in a cornered off in a room with their cage open so they come and go as they please so they are never caged over night. This brother would be able to interact with him through the bars.

I've let him out of his cage to reasses him and he appears to be weight bearing on it a little bit now.
He has let me touch and feel his foot on that leg and all his nails appear intact, he will let me touch the leg and I cannot feel any lumps or bumps.

I think I will keep him and his brother together
And I shall call the vet

Once again that you for your advice.

Bless him and bless you what a stressful situation. I would keep him with his brother but maybe just prevent free roaming tonight and keep them both caged. Give the emergency vet a call but by the sound of it it doesn't sound broken maybe sprained or he has caught a nerve trying to get away.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome! Sorry you have had this upset with your bunny. They do tend to struggle a lot and you have to hold them firmly against your body. Anyway, it's not a good idea to separate him from his brother as it could be difficult to get them back together, can you put them both in a smaller area? Hopefully you will be able to get him to a Vet soon in order to ascertain what might have happened. I hope it's nothing too serious.

I agree with Tonibun. Brothers could be a bond that once broken may not be repaired. Also, having a friend nearby alleviates stress ...

How did you get on at the vet and how are things today?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice!
Sorry for the late update I was struck down with a lousy cold and was unable to get out of bed.

I did manage to call the vet and he pretty much said the same as most of the advice given by you all. I also kept the brothers together as I couldn't bear to keep them apart :(

I was supposed to get him to the Vets yesterday but due to sickness I was unable. But when I checked the little tinker yesterday morning he appeared to be weight bearing on his leg! I am still unwell today and I have checked him and he is hopping around like nothing even happened.

I have an appointment with the vet that I will get him to once I am able too! But I just wanted to update you all.

We also managed to give him his full dose of antibiotics yesterday without any trauma or further injury! Yeah!!!

Pleased to hear he seems much better and you actually got the abx into his eye! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Hi Guys

Thank you for your reply, I thought I would give you an update and once again ask you for some advice/reassurance if you don't mind please.
So I got little Moka's leg checked out by the Vet and his leg has been given the all clear :) he is bouncing about the house like nothing ever happened :)

The antibiotics I'm administering to him are for his eye but it's an oral antibiotic not an eye drop. Moka has a bag of puss in his eye and he has been on a weeks worth of this antibotic 2mg every day for 5 days. After a check up at the vet there does not appear to be any improvement with the eye and he has to remain on the antibiotic for another week, the dosage remains 2mg but to be administered every other day. The vet stated if there was no improvement in 5 days then drastic action would be required :(

Does anyone have any experience with this before? I'm so worried about this little man! :(

Hi Guys

Thank you for your reply, I thought I would give you an update and once again ask you for some advice/reassurance if you don't mind please.
So I got little Moka's leg checked out by the Vet and his leg has been given the all clear :) he is bouncing about the house like nothing ever happened :)

The antibiotics I'm administering to him are for his eye but it's an oral antibiotic not an eye drop. Moka has a bag of puss in his eye and he has been on a weeks worth of this antibotic 2mg every day for 5 days. After a check up at the vet there does not appear to be any improvement with the eye and he has to remain on the antibiotic for another week, the dosage remains 2mg but to be administered every other day. The vet stated if there was no improvement in 5 days then drastic action would be required :(

Does anyone have any experience with this before? I'm so worried about this little man! :(

Gosh if my vet said this, I would be asking what she meant , although thinking about it I don't think she would say such a thing without further explanation. What is actually wrong with the eye? For eye infections I have always been given antibiotic drops to administer, not an oral medication. I am very pleased that his leg is fine now.

The vet last week stated that it was a bag of puss?!? Caused by a scratch to the eye perhaps?!?

To be honest it wasn't the Vet that Moka orginally saw, due to holiday it was somebody different and I didnt really like him.
He bent Moka's leg in several different directions and then stated that 'well he seems alright, I could give him a pain injection' :( Told him that he didn't seem to bothered with his leg being bent so I didn't think a pain injection was required.

I am a little concerned about the medication after reading Tonibun's comment Re: getting meds into his eye!
The medication I have been given is called Zithromax and its to be administered orally.

Im booked in with the original Vet next Friday to see how the eye going!

Back