• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crumpet is getting spayed.

Crumpet

Young Bun
Hi all,

After much trailing around vet surgeries I'm finally happy that I've found a vet that is bunny savvy!

Took my two in for a check up on Friday and they're both healthy. I have 2 Netherland dwarfs, mother and son (I got mum when she was pregnant, had her a week when I found 3 kits in the bed. I was told she was male...)

Anyway Crumpet (mum) weighs exactly 1kg and Wilson who is 9 weeks old weighs 0.63kg (he's a porker haha)

My plan, before the babies surprised me was to get Crumpet spayed, wormed and get her jabs but since the babies I was reluctant to take her away from them and cause stress.

She is booked in on Tuesday to get spayed and the vet has said at her 10 day check up she will be able to get her injections and wormed.

Wilson will be going in when his pips have descended so hopefully in the next few weeks.

My post is mainly for a bit of moral support. I'm terrified in case something happens to crumpet and I'm also completely unsure about aftercare. Is it normal to be given painkillers for her? And also should she be put in her cage on her own? My two have a cage upstairs but the door is never shut. They are free range if you like [emoji23] I'm worried about Wilson pestering her or her irritating the stitches hopping around.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hi, Crumpet hope all goes well for you, sorry i can't tell you anything about aftercare but there are some really nice people on RU who give you the info you need. Weve only had Charlie who is also a Netherland Dwarf for 2 months, he is approximately 4 -5 months old but we can't get him neutered yet because he has pasteurella. Love the name Crumpet BTW:D

Aw, many vibes for you & crumpet. With a savvy vet the risk is low & in my opinion always worth taking. Low or not it doesn't stop you worrying though. Be sure she is given pain relief to come home with, don't be fobbed off with she has had pain relief there, it will be totally insufficient to see her through her recovery period. Metacam is usual. I'd get tasty treats to tempt her to eat post operatively (herbs &/or forage go down well) & some recovery food from the vet , in case she should she need syringe feeding. some bunnies recover slowly from GA, some bounce back like nothing happened. So far I've been lucky & had the latter. Because of the position of the wound it wont be so exposed to tempt winston to nibble her stitches, much less of a worry than if it were on her face where its more easy to be overly zealous in grooming. restrict her ability to jump & keep an eye on the youngster (ie check his presence is a comfort & not agitating / upsetting her.

Sending well wishes for a successful op & recovery

You'll know this already but just on the off chance you dont - you feed bunnies before ops unlike with cats / dogs / humans :)

Hopefully all will be well.My bridge bun Cleo was spayed with no problems at all.She was up and eating at the vets(spinach) herbs are always a good food after a GA I find.
She was home after a few hours,I brought a cage into the living room to contain her and stop her running around etc.Her Husbun Rio was slobbing around on the carpet as usual and didn't even flick an ear when when she came home.After a few hours I opened the cage door to feed her some food..out she sprang!.I was running around trying to get her back into the cage etc.(keep her quiet and let her rest etc)She was having none of it.She wanted her man,she lay beside him and even started grooming him!
Thankfully she was fine,I figured she would be more stressed in the cage etc without him.She got a post op check up five days later and only one stitch was a bit open,vet stated she was healing great, her fur was even growing over the wound.Ah well both are now at the bridge,but I miss them dearly.

I had my Heidi spayed in October. The vet gave me some Medicam to give her for a few days for any pain. She nibbled some food when I got her home but it took a day or so before she was back to eating as much as her usual self which may have been from the general anestesia. Perhaps I am being too protective, but my Heidi gets scared of every noise, so I did not want her to make any sudden moves right after her surgery; so I kept her in a very clean contained area for a few days. Every bunny and situation is different so you have to do what you think is best for your bunny.
Also, prior to Heidi's surgery, Jane reminded me to check her incision regularly.

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice you've been given, apart from the fact I would leave it three weeks after her spay before having vaccinations. You would want her immune system to be in tip top condition for the vaccine to have the best effect. Sending vibes that all goes well with Crumpet's spay.

Thanks all for your advice.

Here's an update. Crumpet really wasn't well. She had her op on Tuesday and I picked her up at tea time. I was told to monitor her for poos as she hadn't had one since the operation.

Got her home and she was very quiet and sleepy which I expected. I put her in her cage and covered the little mite over with a blanket and she slept most of the night. She picked at a small amount of hay and some veggies but no where near her usual amount and I also held her water bottle to get mouth to ensure she had some water.

I was back at the vets with her on Wednesday morning, before taking her I had searched around her cage to see if she had done a poo and not a single one.

The vet hadn't sent me away with any pain medication so I ended up arguing with them about getting some, I knew she was in pain as she has never ever bit me and she gave me a warning bite and a growl when I was trying to get her into the crate so I knew she needed something. Spoke to the vet about the pooing issue and she said its a concern.

I took her to work with me on the Wednesday. I had packed her an emergency bag in case the vet wanted to keep her in so made her some some made critical care with her Burgess food and syringe fed her to make sure she was eating. Also gave her some metacam and some emeprid. But by 7pm still no poo.

She was very happy in herself and eating much better. Got her home and settled and gave her a second dose of emepridand within an hour I noticed a couple of tiny little poos, I swear I could've cried with happiness at seeing them.

The room she was in smelled very strongly of weed with the fermented grass she had passed. I checked her bum and she had a mass of poo stuck to her fur so I think she was really backed up. I got her all cleaned up and she was shovelling food in so thought I would keep and eye on her to make sure she didn't have diarrhea. Today thankfully, she's eating pretty much normally and is pooing much more. They're solid but still only small droppings, so I think it'll take her a couple of days to get back to normal. She is very affectionate again which I'm pleased about.

Back at the vets tomorrow morning for her day 3 check up so will keep you all posted.

Sorry it's taken me a while to give an update but it's been a very stressful couple of days. Thank you again for all your good advice.

Poor little Crumpet :( It's so important to have pain medication after a spay and I'm glad that you knew this and insisted on some for Crumpet. It seems she is well on the way to recovery now, with your good care. I hope her check-up goes well tomorrow. I agree, it's stressful having poorly rabbits isn't it!

Poor little Crumpet. I'm glad she is feeling so much better & that you were able to advocate on her behalf

Pleased Crumpet is feeling better now and I would like to second the advice regarding leaving 3 weeks between her operation and her vaccination.

Thanks all for your advice.

Here's an update. Crumpet really wasn't well. She had her op on Tuesday and I picked her up at tea time. I was told to monitor her for poos as she hadn't had one since the operation.

Got her home and she was very quiet and sleepy which I expected. I put her in her cage and covered the little mite over with a blanket and she slept most of the night. She picked at a small amount of hay and some veggies but no where near her usual amount and I also held her water bottle to get mouth to ensure she had some water.

I was back at the vets with her on Wednesday morning, before taking her I had searched around her cage to see if she had done a poo and not a single one.

The vet hadn't sent me away with any pain medication so I ended up arguing with them about getting some, I knew she was in pain as she has never ever bit me and she gave me a warning bite and a growl when I was trying to get her into the crate so I knew she needed something. Spoke to the vet about the pooing issue and she said its a concern.

I took her to work with me on the Wednesday. I had packed her an emergency bag in case the vet wanted to keep her in so made her some some made critical care with her Burgess food and syringe fed her to make sure she was eating. Also gave her some metacam and some emeprid. But by 7pm still no poo.

She was very happy in herself and eating much better. Got her home and settled and gave her a second dose of emepridand within an hour I noticed a couple of tiny little poos, I swear I could've cried with happiness at seeing them.

The room she was in smelled very strongly of weed with the fermented grass she had passed. I checked her bum and she had a mass of poo stuck to her fur so I think she was really backed up. I got her all cleaned up and she was shovelling food in so thought I would keep and eye on her to make sure she didn't have diarrhea. Today thankfully, she's eating pretty much normally and is pooing much more. They're solid but still only small droppings, so I think it'll take her a couple of days to get back to normal. She is very affectionate again which I'm pleased about.

Back at the vets tomorrow morning for her day 3 check up so will keep you all posted.

Sorry it's taken me a while to give an update but it's been a very stressful couple of days. Thank you again for all your good advice.

I am so glad you advocated for your bunny and got her pain meds. If they are in pain they don't eat and that can slow her digestive system. The anestesia can also make them listless and not wanting as much to eat-as with people some bunnies tolerate anestesia better than others. Her poos may be small because she did not eat or drink as much as usual. Sending positive vibes that she will be back to her usual self soon.

Please update us on her progress.

Back