• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur loss and dandruff??

Bassdoodle

Young Bun
My rabbit began to lose her fur a few weeks ago, it wasn't anything major and I put it down to the winter not being as cold so she was losing some of her coat. It just looked like a malt.

However the fur loss is now very noticeable and looks like what she does in the summer however it has started snowing and is much colder so she has no reason to lose her fur. I have also noticed quite a lot of dandruff.

My first thought was oh no she has mites, however my other rabbit is absolutely fine and has no fur loss or dandruff yet they are both living together.

I'm thinking of bringing her inside simply because its getting colder and if her coats getting thinner she might get too cold, however I have other animals inside and am worried it could be contagious and pass it on to them, but then my other rabbit hasn't got it.

She is acting like her normal self, eating going to the toilet etc. Its just her fur.

Any idea on what it can be???

Quite often mites will only present on one bunny, even if they live together. My advice would be to take both bunnies to the vet. If the vet confirms mites (& it does sound like it) its a simple shot, My vet advised non prescription mite treatment is ineffective. When a bunny has mites its worth having a health check as typically rabbits keep them at bay themselves...it may indicate the start of dental issues or that she is under par for some reason.

personally i'd keep her outside but pull out all the stops to keep her accomodation super warm & insulated. Is she bonded to your other rabbit?

Definitely worth getting checked out at the vet for an MOT and to see what is causing the fur loss.

It may be mites. Rabbits that are not 100% can suffer when their companions are fine. Sometimes it can be dental or arthritis - things that make it more difficult for them to groom properly and hence remove the mites. The cause still needs addressing and proper treatment given for whatever the cause is.

Definitely sounds like mites. One of my rabbits had them and none of the others did. I took him to the vet and was given a spot on treatment which did the trick. His fur grew back lovely and shiny. He had no other problems.

My rabbit began to lose her fur a few weeks ago, it wasn't anything major and I put it down to the winter not being as cold so she was losing some of her coat. It just looked like a malt.

However the fur loss is now very noticeable and looks like what she does in the summer however it has started snowing and is much colder so she has no reason to lose her fur. I have also noticed quite a lot of dandruff.

My first thought was oh no she has mites, however my other rabbit is absolutely fine and has no fur loss or dandruff yet they are both living together.

I'm thinking of bringing her inside simply because its getting colder and if her coats getting thinner she might get too cold, however I have other animals inside and am worried it could be contagious and pass it on to them, but then my other rabbit hasn't got it.

She is acting like her normal self, eating going to the toilet etc. Its just her fur.

Any idea on what it can be???

It could be mites, and a visit to a (good) vet should confirm or otherwise. Another skin condition (but not so common) is ringworm. If you have a rabbit bonded with her, you will have to treat both. It's either an injection or spot on treatment, three doses two weeks apart.

I wiped her down with a warm damp cloth which got rid of most the dandruff and I brought her inside.
Her condition didn't change it hasn't gotten worse or better. However there wad very little dandruff so I thought maybe it was over grooming since they are a bonded pair.
I brought her sister inside and they are both happy to see eachoter and I'm going to observe them to see if it is over grooming.
How ever last night I noticed one of her eyes has is quite watery it's clear. Could this be sign of an infection?
Very worried about her since I already nearly lost her once when she was a baby.
She is eating drinking and going to the toilet fine still and isn't acting any different.
Will be taking her to the vets in the next couple of days.
Any idea on what could have caused all this?

Hi thankyou for your reply
I'm sure it's not ringworm but mites is still a possibility.
Il be taking her to the vets in the next couple of days to get her sorted out

I think she really needs a check over by a vet. the dandruff is an indicator of mites, i don't think it would occur with over grooming.

Definitely worth getting checked out at the vet for an MOT and to see what is causing the fur loss.

It may be mites. Rabbits that are not 100% can suffer when their companions are fine. Sometimes it can be dental or arthritis - things that make it more difficult for them to groom properly and hence remove the mites. The cause still needs addressing and proper treatment given for whatever the cause is.

She has started with a watery eye so maybe she has something else wrong with her. I looked at her teeth they are slightly longer than I'd like but they aren't causing her any problems.
My other rabbit is still fine and showing no symptoms what so ever
Il be taking her to the vets in the next few days thankyiu for your reply

I think she really needs a check over by a vet. the dandruff is an indicator of mites, i don't think it would occur with over grooming.

Definitely sounds like mites. One of my rabbits had them and none of the others did. I took him to the vet and was given a spot on treatment which did the trick. His fur grew back lovely and shiny. He had no other problems.

So it's easy to treat? That's good then

good luck. Let us know how it goes. I'd take both your bunnies as if it is mites they will both need treatment

I wiped her down with a warm damp cloth which got rid of most the dandruff and I brought her inside.
Her condition didn't change it hasn't gotten worse or better. However there wad very little dandruff so I thought maybe it was over grooming since they are a bonded pair.
I brought her sister inside and they are both happy to see eachoter and I'm going to observe them to see if it is over grooming.
How ever last night I noticed one of her eyes has is quite watery it's clear. Could this be sign of an infection?
Very worried about her since I already nearly lost her once when she was a baby.
She is eating drinking and going to the toilet fine still and isn't acting any different.
Will be taking her to the vets in the next couple of days.
Any idea on what could have caused all this?

Mites is often an indicator of some underlying immune system issue - not coping with something, or something else going on we don't know about.

Get your (hopefully very good?) vet to give her a very good check over.

I agree with J&B - overgrooming does *not* cause dandruff.

Mites is often an indicator of some underlying immune system issue - not coping with something, or something else going on we don't know about.

Get your (hopefully very good?) vet to give her a very good check over.

I agree with J&B - overgrooming does *not* cause dandruff.

Yes ok I don't think.she does have a very good immune system so it may be likely she has something wrong with her especially since she now has developed a runny eye

Will post updates when we have been to the vets

Back