• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations for indoor buns

Mrs Carr

Warren Scout
Out of curiosity, do those of you with indoor bunnies get them vaccinated?

Neither of my boys have had vaccinations as my vet said it was unnecessary due to the fact they are indoors and will never come into contact with wild buns, would you/have you had yours done anyway? Or is it really an unnecessary expense as my vet said?

Yes, mine still get vaccinated. Insects get in the house and I wear clothes in the house that get worn outside so it's not worth taking the risk to me.

Mine never go outside unless it's in a carrier to the vet, but I'd always get them vaccinated.

Yes, my Alf is and I will always get mine done, whether they are indoors or outdoors as it's just not worth the risk x

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking, the girls upstairs have 2 dogs which are often taken out into the country and I'm guessing it wouldn't be that unlikely for one of them to bring a hitchhiker into the building. Having been brought up in the country I've seen a lot of myxi buns ( and had to do the humane thing :(), I'd hate for boys to catch that so I think I'll just go ahead and arrange a return visit to the vet

Really, really bad advice from your vet. Definitely get indoor rabbits vaccinated, the risk is just as great as for outdoor bunnies.

Myxomatosis is spread by biting insects which can get into the house and RHD/RHDV2 can be spread in all sorts of ways including things like in bird droppings, on your shoes etc.

One of my outdoor bunnies caught myxomatosis (atypical as he was vaccinated) during the summer and he has no contact with wild rabbits, the biting insects came into the aviary and bit him.. that could just as easily have been one of my indoor bunnies. He got a very, very mild form of it thanks to the vaccine.

Yes mine are. I am paranoid about little biting flies or Mosquitos which we seem to get a lot indoors, and just recently Lola caught fleas which I can only think I brought one home on my clothes from my neighbours cats who were scratching like mad. I had seen something hop when I was sat on the floor with them, I wasn't even in the house that long but it was the most likely cause. That was really worrying as her vacs were overdue.

I don't think the risk is as great for *totally* indoor rabbits as for outdoor rabbits (advice given by my rabbit savvy vet) but I still have mine vaccinated :D

Alarmed that your vet seems not to understand that houses have windows through which insects can enter. :?

I agree with MightyMax that the risk is lower, it's by no means absent though.

I have for many years now but initially (1st 5 years of bunny ownership) I didn't as I wasn't aware of the risks & my not so savvy vet didn't raise it.

I was told that disease could potentially
Enter on your shoes and into your home (how true that is I do not know!) round
My area there are tonnes of wild buns so lady p my indoor is vaccinated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes our Gizmo who's an indoor mini lop bunny gets vaccinated, he had his first vaccinations two days after we had him at 12 weeks old and he's had them every year since.
He goes in the back garden every day and you never know what insects are in the lawn x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes my indoor buns are vaccinated. I question the savvy-ness of your vet with their ill informed advice!!

Really, really bad advice from your vet. Definitely get indoor rabbits vaccinated, the risk is just as great as for outdoor bunnies.

Myxomatosis is spread by biting insects which can get into the house and RHD/RHDV2 can be spread in all sorts of ways including things like in bird droppings, on your shoes etc.

One of my outdoor bunnies caught myxomatosis (atypical as he was vaccinated) during the summer and he has no contact with wild rabbits, the biting insects came into the aviary and bit him.. that could just as easily have been one of my indoor bunnies. He got a very, very mild form of it thanks to the vaccine.

This.

Definitely vaccinate. :)

as everyone has already advised, defo get them vaccinated indoors or outdoors there are risks, is there any vets in your area that are maybe rabbit savvy

Back