• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Farm hay Vs Pet shop hay

BunnyMania

Young Bun
To those of you that buy hay from a farm rather than a shop, how do you find it? In particular, economically. How long does it take you to go through a bale and with how many rabbits?

Farm hay is cheaper in the long run. I have to use this type as I have a lot of bunnies. If you can find decent farm hay then that's fine, but round here it can be difficult.

I always buy bales of hay from a local farmer. I always check that it is 'safe' with no ragwort etc in the fields and I always smell it. If it smells damp then I don't buy it as it will also probably be dusty inside the bale. If it smells nice and sweet, it should be okay.

I have 9 rabbits and depending on the time of year, the bale will last me just over a month.

I can buy good quality farm hay for £3-£6 per 20-25 Kilo bale. Economics plays not an insignificant part in that choice, but my rabbits also enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all :) I've just bought a Vale from a local farm after bring recommended the farm by another bunny owner and it seems good quality, must be about 25kg worth and was only £4. It's passed the Belle test! (She's quote fussy with hay) and it smells lovely so I think I will stick to that for now. Think I usually pay £3 something for a 3kg bale from a nearby shop and the bale I've bought is a lot less dusty and seems better quality.

Sent from my 6045Y using Tapatalk

I pay £6.50 (city prices!) for mine and a bale lasts me about 2m at the moment, with two rabbits. Lasts an awful lot longer in summer!

My rabbit actually prefers the farm baled stuff. My Pygmy goats eat it as well so I can't help with the frequency question. If you buy hay sold for horses then it should be good :)

My rabbit actually prefers the farm baled stuff. My Pygmy goats eat it as well so I can't help with the frequency question. If you buy hay sold for horses then it should be good :)
I'm so jealous that you have Pygmy goats! My mum and I have wanted some for ages but we live in a council property so wouldn't be allowed :(

Back