• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had to get my beautiful Bobbi euthanized yesterday due to GI Stasis </3

Bobbimommy

New Kit
Hi everyone

I literally just joined this website so I could post this thread and share my story, I don't know why but I have a feeling that talking to fellow bunny-lovers will help me feel better.
I'm in bits right now, pretty much cried for 12 hours straight yesterday and again this morning, I'm in complete grieving mamma mode and it doesn't feel like I'm going to snap out of it anytime soon. Just wanted to talk to other bunny mammas and hear other people's stories, and also warn people of the danger of GI stasis.

I made the tough decision to have my lionlop house bunny, Bobbi euthanized yesterday morning because he was suffering from GI stasis, he was only 3 years and 8 months old :( I had always imagined he'd live up until he was 10! he was the most privileged bunny ever, would munch on Fuji apples as he'd refuse to eat the cheap Morrisons ones that came in a pack of 10 ;) he was a ridiculously spoilt little bun.

This wasn't the first time he's had GI stasis, If I recall correctly, he's suffered from GI stasis at least 3 times beforehand but always bounced back after a day of two of TLC and force-feeding, which I imagined would be the case this time, but how wrong I was :cry:
I first noticed there was something wrong with him when he stopped eating as much and seemed really lethargic, not to mention the bad smell coming from him. And bear in mind he never smells! as we sweep his cage and change his litter daily.

So, I take him to the vets and find out indeed he has GI stasis and the fur around his little bottom was matted with poop, which I didn't realise until they lifted him up to show me, as he's a little terror and runs away every time I tried to check (he's not one of those bunnies who likes to be handled!) but the vets kindly cleaned him up and returned him to me, but not before he had an injection to help get his digestive system going, syringe fed medicine and also some steroid cream for his sore bottom, which I had the pleasure to apply again later on that evening :shock:

I managed to syringe feed him his medicine after chasing him around the living room for about half an hour, which was at midnight as I was instructed to give him his next dose at 12am, and because he's not a fan of critical care, I syringe fed him some mashed up banana, just to make sure he had something in his tummy before I went to bed. I even took a few photos and videos of him looking all cute and lying on the sofa giving his paws a wash that night, which I'm so glad I did because those were the last photos I got of him.

I then woke up earlier than usual yesterday to check on him and to my horror I saw he was slumped over in his cage, looking completely defeated, so I scooped him up and placed him on my lap which was completely heart-breaking as he never ever lets me hold him, which shows exactly how poorly he was if he didn't have enough energy to flail around like he usually does.. infact, he did try to wriggle off my lap, but just fell forward and lay there, looking completely broken. I also noticed that his bottom was soaked with liquid - I still don't know what it was, but I'm pretty sure it's not urine. I carefully place him on the sofa and covered him with a towel and waited with him until the vets opened at 8:30am before rushing in for an emergency appointment.

Unfortunately when we got there, we were told that thing weren't looking good and it was best to put him down as he was huffing and puffing, crying out in pain and couldn't even lift his head. This was honestly the most heart-breaking moment in the whole 24 years I have been on this earth. I was told there WAS an option to perform surgery which would've cost hundreds, and to be
honest at that moment I was more than willing to pay whatever it took, as long as they could save my baby's life, unfortunately I was also told the chances of him recovering fully was not likely at all and he probably would die during the procedure anyway due to him being weak, causing him more distress in the process.

Sadly, I didn't feel like I had much of a choice but to have him put down, and the moment I was handed his poor little body wrapped up neatly in a towel like a newborn will haunt me for a long time, I cried so hard I could barely see :cry: the whole family threw him a little bunny funeral afterwards though which was really nice. We buried him with some rose petals, his favourite treats and a nice bed of hay for him to sleep on - complete with two bouquets of flowers to mark where he was buried.

I felt SO empty for the rest of the day, cried none stop and kept forgetting he was gone, the living room suddenly seemed really empty without his cage or him lying by the conservatory, watching the telly with my dad, after dinner I rushed to the living room to check on him, only to remember that he wasn't there, this morning I went to check on him before I went to work and walked out completely heartbroken. I've been told by everyone that it gets easier and I know it will, but it doesn't feel like it right now, I'm dreading going home later because I know he won't be there :(

The only comfort I have is knowing that he knew how much he was loved, and he could tell the difference between myself, my mom, dad and brother because he greeted us all differently. As soon as I walked into the room, he would run around me in a little circle as if he was welcoming me home and then sit back down and resume sleeping, it was the cutest thing ever :lol: I'm actually considering getting my favourite photo of him tattooed on my foot, so I can still see him every time I look down :cry:

RIP bobbi, gone but not forgotten. You were my first and last bunny, as you can never ever be replaced.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ui9isw/9
2ui9isw.jpg

The photos above are of Bobbi from 6 weeks - Christmas Day :love:

What a beautiful harlequin bunny, i'm sorry you lost him, it sounds like you did the kindest thing. Sweet dreams Bobbi

He was such a cute little bun, I am sorry you lost him :( I really like the idea of the tattoo placement so you can see him when you look down. That's really nice :love: Sweet dreams Bobbi xxx

I'm so very sorry :cry:. You have my sympathy - it hurts like hell to lose our special friends.

Thank you for telling your and Bobbi's story. I'm sorry you have lost him, sometimes the kindest things are hardest to do..
If you do decide to share your life with a bunny at some point in the future, remember there are many bunnies waiting in rescue centres for a new owner

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain as I too lost my Millie after 10 and a half years on Tuesday. I understand that horrible empty feeling that comes every morning on waking. X

Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain as I too lost my Millie after 10 and a half years on Tuesday. I understand that horrible empty feeling that comes every morning on waking. X

Wow 10 and a half years, that's amazing! she must've obviously have been very well looked after :) you should be very proud of yourself. Sorry to hear about your loss too xxx

Thanks for the kind words everyone, came home and had a good cry and then flick through 300+ photos of him from throughout the years :) feel better already xxx

I am so very sorry he never pulled through this time but you sound like a very loving owner who did everything possible.

GI Stasis and Bloat are awful and I lost a bun about 2 years ago to this. I had previously got her through a serious blockage and GI stasis a couple of times. I said no more after I lost her as I was heartbroken but I had a lonely female and when looking on here one day a little (well big) man at the RSPCA stole my heart and I have never regretted getting him. They never replace the one you lost, they are all different.

Sorry to hear that about your bun too :-( it's awful, his stomach was horribly bloated before he died, he must've been in so much pain. But knowing he was able to die somewhat peacefully makes me feel better that he didn't die overnight before I had a chance to say goodbye. I don't feel like I'm able to own another yet though, maybe one day x

Back