• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio vet visit....large bunny carriers...opinions please

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Boo Joey & Mouse are off to the vets on Monday. Now they are all firmly bonded, how important do you think it is that they travel in the same carrier. They do all fit in my larger one but its a rather cosy fit. Is it ok that its a really cosy fit given that they huddle & climb over/ under each other anyway? Or is it ok to put Boo in a separate carrier - she is the rabbit who seems unbothered (maybe a litttle bored:lol:) by travel, leaving the stress heads Joey + Mouse to comfort each other. The journey is about 50 minutes

Or should I buy a massive carrier ?. In which case any recommendations? As it is I struggle to carry the carrier far. They only weigh 8k between them, all medium sized bunnies

Unless they are tiny rabbits, I would struggle to carry all 3 in a carrier. A carrier big enough for 3 is also quite bulky and awkward to get through doors. 3 single carriers can be an issue if you are on your own as well, though. Where possible I take rabbits in pairs or singly. 3 in a carrier is also stressful for them when you have to get one out, put it back, get another one out, etc. I find it is easier and less stressful if they are on their own, then reunite them at home.

Boo Joey & Mouse are off to the vets on Monday. Now they are all firmly bonded, how important do you think it is that they travel in the same carrier. They do all fit in my larger one but its a rather cosy fit. Is it ok that its a really cosy fit given that they huddle & climb over/ under each other anyway? Or is it ok to put Boo in a separate carrier - she is the rabbit who seems unbothered (maybe a litttle bored:lol:) by travel, leaving the stress heads Joey + Mouse to comfort each other. The journey is about 50 minutes

Or should I buy a massive carrier ?. In which case any recommendations? As it is I struggle to carry the carrier far. They only weigh 8k between them, all medium sized bunnies

Just a thought, may not help you much. I would think about a slightly larger 'container' for them inside the car, and then putting them into the carrier for the actual vet bit.

I think that's what I would do, but I'm always sensitive about bunnies lying on top of bunnies who can't get out from under :shock: But yours are fairly young and nubile so probably doesn't apply!

Unless they are tiny rabbits, I would struggle to carry all 3 in a carrier. A carrier big enough for 3 is also quite bulky and awkward to get through doors. 3 single carriers can be an issue if you are on your own as well, though. Where possible I take rabbits in pairs or singly. 3 in a carrier is also stressful for them when you have to get one out, put it back, get another one out, etc. I find it is easier and less stressful if they are on their own, then reunite them at home.

I have a very large carrier that opens at the top and at the side, so stressing them to get them out doesn't apply :)

If you are just going for vaccs etc you shouldn't need to keep them all together, as the short time they are separated shouldn't cause any issues.

I have three medium sized rabbits (3kg ish) and take them all together in a Catit Cat Cabrio, when they all need to go. Yes, they are very snug, but then they have one smaller litter tray in their shed which is probably about the same footprint and they choose to sit in there together. They choose to clamber all over each other at home. The carrier opens at the top and I haven't found any problem getting one out at a time. I also sometimes just take one single rabbit and reunite them when I get home, depending on what the nature of the visit is.

Thanks guys. You've all helped with my decision. I like the idea of a big container for the car MM, only thing is I need something for the times I go alone on public transport.
As Mouse could have respiratory issue I feel the grand huddle might be risky. I'll take joe & mouse in the big carrier & maybe treat Boo to a princess new carrier (to make up for being left out). And then longer term look out for a massive carriage on wheels :lol:

Thanks guys. You've all helped with my decision. I like the idea of a big container for the car MM, only thing is I need something for the times I go alone on public transport.
As Mouse could have respiratory issue I feel the grand huddle might be risky. I'll take joe & mouse in the big carrier & maybe treat Boo to a princess new carrier (to make up for being left out). And then longer term look out for a massive carriage on wheels :lol:

Something like this may just about be big enough :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherpa-Ulti...sr=8-1&keywords=large+pet+carrier+with+wheels

For large carrier advice, I have a ferplast atlas mini, originally bought for my quad of rabbits who were two 1.5 kg and two 1.6 kg rabbits. I could carry it fine on my own, the handle each end is great. it's easier to get them in and out than other carriers. I got mine from zoo plus http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/do...yNXDPkbgMuvaEV0KPD9CZhycdXR0pklFQ8RoCZHzw_wcB

That looks much better than their existing arrangement ..thank you...good to have a review on the site saying great for a group of bunnies too

Back