• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit choking on water...quacking type sound, any experience of this?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks,

Three times now (over the course of several months) Mouse has appeared to choke / splutter when drinking her water. the noise is similar to a duck quack. She is a noisy rabbit, makes noises when she washes, she snores & makes clucky noises if picked up. Her snoring has been discussed previously at the vets, it was attributed to her flat face :) All my rabbits use a water bowl.

She has a vet appointment on monday but in the meantime, has anybody heard their bunny do similar ? I've read this can indicate dental issues .

I'd love to know if any of you have experience or knowledge of this??

Thanks

PS Mouse is a bunny :lol: not a mouse

Sorry don't have time to write a proper reply, but my Digby was like that... He had elongated tooth roots which affected his nasal cavity... He had daily metacam and was on bisolvon to thin out the mucous in his nose..

Sorry don't have time to write a proper reply, but my Digby was like that... He had elongated tooth roots which affected his nasal cavity... He had daily metacam and was on bisolvon to thin out the mucous in his nose..

that's kind of you to reply, thank you :wave: I'll resist asking more

My Boris did this, he had respiratory problems but as you say it can happen with dental problems too. I'd get him examined by a vet xxx

My Boris did this, he had respiratory problems but as you say it can happen with dental problems too. I'd get him examined by a vet xxx

Thank You!! I'm inclined to think respiratory over dental . We already have her booked in for monday :)

Thank You!! I'm inclined to think respiratory over dental . We already have her booked in for monday :)

I would be inclined to think the same as you. With dental issues I would expect to see/hear it much more regularly than the few occasions you've referred to.

Good luck for the journey for all your little monsters on Monday :D

I would be inclined to think the same as you. With dental issues I would expect to see/hear it much more regularly than the few occasions you've referred to.

Good luck for the journey for all your little monsters on Monday :D

She does trough hay too :) I'm still hoping she has some up her nose - wishful thinking I know

Thank You for your well wishes, fortunately I'll not be going by public transport. Need to start a thread about carriers now :lol:

She does trough hay too :) I'm still hoping she has some up her nose - wishful thinking I know

Thank You for your well wishes, fortunately I'll not be going by public transport. Need to start a thread about carriers now :lol:

Carriers? Don't you need a trailer for your three? :oops:

Sorry, joking of course. I know they are all trimline buns :D

thank you. That sounds scary. i guess she would require sedation for that?

Given that Heather is learning the ropes from Nigel and endoscopies are one of his keen interests, hopefully she will have a fair bit of experience/knowledge in that field. Erin had a bit of hay up her nose which made her very sneezy/coughy but thankfully after a few days she sneezed it out so we didn't get as far as them sticking a camera up to have a look so it never got beyond being a possibility for us.

Hope all goes well and it's nothing serious.

that's reassuring. I'm looking forward to seeing Heather, she has never seen my bunnies before (I don't think) but I trust her as trained by the best. She doesn't really sneeze...she has done..but it is very sporadic

Thanks - I will of course keep you update.. just hay vibes please:)

It probably won't need a camera up her nose and down the back of her throat. But hopefully - as in humans - if it does, she will not need a GA?

thank you. That sounds scary. i guess she would require sedation for that?

They can normally get away with just using some local spray to make it more comfortable. Never seen them done with sedation unless the pet gets highly stressed with it.

Sorry for the tardy update folks ..its only 6 weeks late

Heather (vet) thought Mouse has a problem with her trachea (maybe a lump or maybe a skin fold / abnormality). She does have a crazy big dewlap. We were given a few options & chose the "watch & wait" option as the others were antibiotics in case there was any infection. I wasn't keen on this speculative long shot ..plus the bunnies were having their rhvd2 vaccs so if healthy enough I wanted to go ahead with those. There was the option to have her admitted for exploratory tests which would require sedation. This is the option I will go for IF the "episodes" occur more frequently.

Boo was an angel & let Heather be her model for the "choking first aid" demo I requested. Mouse however bit the Heather:lol::oops: - not the best behaviour for a first meeting

So its all good with the watching - no spluttering or quacking attacks since i wrote this thread.

Back