• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hungry bunnies and cold protection

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
So, rabbits are supposed to eat their body size in hay each day, right? Well, mine are trying for their body weight! They've cleared the lower hay rack, demolished the hutch rack and eaten most of the suspended rack in 36hrs!

Probably doesn't help that I accidentally 'locked' them in the playhouse for 3hrs yesterday :oops: I was removing Lopsy for his eye medication and I don't want him escaping into a place I can't get him easily so I shut the door out to the tunnel, then forgot to reopen it when I put him back! Poor bunnies...!

And then they didn't want to come out, as if they didn't realise it was open :roll: Even when Matt was putting their bramble in the run roof, they were sharking at the window... :roll: :lol:

I suppose they'd want to eat more if it's cold (I'm currently almost doing with Flakes what chainsmokers do with cigarettes...). They also eat all the stalky stuff and then sit on the soft stuff (they're not so daft...!), so at least some of the 'mass' is 'waste'. I'm leaving the big carrier in there are the moment too, so we can get Lopsy out for his eyedrops easily, but it's providing some protection against the cold for them (and I don't care so much if they wee in there). We've also upped their window count today (7/8 ) as it's windy and cold, and they'll have more hay over their snugglesafe tonight, and a snugglesafe in the hutch in case they fancy going over there for the night. Possibly two snugglesafes over the weekend, in different areas of the playhouse, and all the windows in overnight. And change all the newspaper because it'll be damp from Friday. But at least I can do that Friday during daylight hours if necessary, as it's a study day! Still going to be up early to medicate Lopsy as I need the spare pair of hands and Matt needs to go to work: someone has to earn some money :lol:

Last edited:
Mine are acting exactly the same. They are eating as though it's all going to disappear soon in a puff of smoke if they don't. Yes, it's chilly here, but I don't remember this greed other winters when it's been this cold. Every time they see one of us walk past the run, they run towards us as if to say surely there's something more we could give them. I have never bothered with giving them straw before, prefering that they just have hay, but I got a free bag with some rabbitfood ordered online, so I filled a large cardboard box with it and put it in the shed, thinking it would be nice for them to snuggle into. I noticed yesterday they were munching that as well, so I have put hay as a top layer!

Btw I have also done the same as you when medicating and wanting to shut one in or out of the shed and then forgetting to open the catflap. It's so easily done.

Mabel's the same with her hay and sne isd indoors lol, she worse with the oxbow demanding it expensive tastes

My little Storm would eat hay hardly at all from the time I rescued him (about 4 weeks ago) to about 3 days ago but he's suddenly started eating tons! I put most of that down to the dental work he had done last Thursday when he was neutered (he had spurs from being previously neglected but one of my family friends-which I'm very unhappy with her about), but it's amazing how he's gone from eating virtually no hay to eating a whole hay rack in just a few days!

Back