• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio - Close accommodation

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Bill went for his vaccinations yesterday and he is now booked in for his neuter in another 3 weeks time. I'm trying to do all the research that I possibly can into bonding trios but most sites just divert you to a link about bonding pairs and tells you to use the same technique. I really want this bond to work out and I don't want to leave anthing to chance so I'll probably be bombarding you guys with questions over the next few months! Sorry!
So... Bill is currently living downstairs in a cage/pen combo and is allowed to roam around downstairs when we are home. The other two live upstairs and are free range. Once Bill is neutered would it be a good idea to move his living accommodation upstairs and let them all communicate through the bars? Or would it be best to keep them completely separate until his hormones have calmed down? If this is a good idea do I still need to neutralise the area? Or is this 'close accommodation' technique a bad idea altogether for a trio and is bunny dating a more appropriate route?
Any advice regarding the bonding of a trio would be most welcome. And I mean ANY!!! Thank you xx

Sorry no advice, but I am about to start binding my M X F bonded pair with my recently neutered M so will be following this with you and starting my own thread soon too! Good luck x

good luck guys!! Personally I'd leave Bill to recover after his op & introduce them afresh without any prior introductions when hormones have subsided. Bunnies can cause each other quite nasty injuries through bars. I do feel on / off contact must confuse / frustrate most rabbits
The principles of bonding are the same for trios / quads...the dynamics however are a lot more complex ....but thats for your bunnies to sort out. They may take their time doing this, mine took 7 months! Best thing ever though .

Back