• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchip moved? *Or a problem with his vaccination??

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Evening all. Just curious- you can't normally feel a rabbits microchip right? I think I can feel Zucc's around the side of his neck.. It's fairly small what I can feel, a bitlike a grain of rice? And it keeps moving around, like I can push it with my fingers and its position moves.
I'm presuming I need to call the vet but can't until tomorrow now, any one more knowledgeable around to give an opinion on if it is his microchip and what I should do? Or do I not need to do any thing? Thanks

Last edited:
Microchips have been known to migrate & its common in rabbits.

A nurse should be able to have a feel and confirm its microchip size (no consult fee) but a grain of rice is about right.

They generally won't do anything about it unless it causes issues such as painful lumps/ abscess etc which I've only ever known to happen once when it migrated down a dogs leg to the elbow.

Microchips have been known to migrate & its common in rabbits.

A nurse should be able to have a feel and confirm its microchip size (no consult fee) but a grain of rice is about right.

They generally won't do anything about it unless it causes issues such as painful lumps/ abscess etc which I've only ever known to happen once when it migrated down a dogs leg to the elbow.

Thank you, I wondered if there was a way to put it back where it came from but I suppose not really is there. I presume it can't get any where dangerous like his heart or lungs or anything? And it won't be hurting or bothering him?

Its unlikely to be hurting him, especially if he's allowing you to play with it & I've never know them to migrate anywhere dangerous as they sit subcutaneously (in the fatty area under the skin). So it'd have to work its way through muscle etc before causing any damage.

They might suggest a slight sedation to remove the migrated one and replace it with a new microchip which might not migrate.

Yes he quite happily let me touch it, I was petting him around the back of his ears and side of his neck where he likes it when I found it and he continued to let me move it about as I tried to figure out what it was! Ah okay, so it won't cause any damage then & he should be alright if they leave it. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say. Thank you very much!

I've always been able to feel the microchip in one of my buns, I think due to a combination of where it was placed and him being quite thin. The vet wasn't concerned but then it's always been in that position & hasn't moved like yours.

I rang the vets, they weren't particularly helpful! They agreed it sounds like his microchip, but she said something about it could be a symptom of something to do with his vaccinations?! I've no idea what she was referring to and didn't really question her at the time because she said he's not long been vaccinated has he he had it done in October..but he didn't, that was my girl bun Lola, Zucc had his back in June. So I just thought she'd got it wrong and dismissed it. I wanted them to try and scan it to see if it was the chip but she said it would have to be a vet appointment which is £27 in case it wasn't his chip..and I'm not paying that to be there 30 seconds and be told stop fussing it's his microchip! So i left it as is call back once I'd thought about it. Not sure what to do now. I was convinced it's his microchip but now she's out ideas in my head about it being something sinister to do with his vaccinations?!

You should be able to book a nurse apt to see if it is the chip. If it is not then you can book to see a vet. I would call again and just ask for a nurse to check for a chip.

It does sound like a chip and its fine that it has moved. It should be nothing to worry about and the vet practice should be happy to elevate your fears.

I wouldn't worry about it being anything to do with the vaccine as that was a long time ago. (She may be worried about a vaccine reaction but this would happen within the first few hours of vaccine - sometimes up to a couple of days).

As HB has said - a nurse can check the chip for you. If its not the chip, then you can book in to see the vet another time. Call back as you might get onto the phone with someone else - you could even ask to speak to the nurse who would do it and say if they think its not his microchip you'd book in to see the vet another time as you don't want to be charged £27 to be told its his microchip.

If not call another local vets & see if their nurse can check for you FOC instead?

I rang the vets, they weren't particularly helpful! They agreed it sounds like his microchip, but she said something about it could be a symptom of something to do with his vaccinations?! I've no idea what she was referring to and didn't really question her at the time because she said he's not long been vaccinated has he he had it done in October..but he didn't, that was my girl bun Lola, Zucc had his back in June. So I just thought she'd got it wrong and dismissed it. I wanted them to try and scan it to see if it was the chip but she said it would have to be a vet appointment which is £27 in case it wasn't his chip..and I'm not paying that to be there 30 seconds and be told stop fussing it's his microchip! So i left it as is call back once I'd thought about it. Not sure what to do now. I was convinced it's his microchip but now she's out ideas in my head about it being something sinister to do with his vaccinations?!

No it wouldn't be connected with the vaccinations (unless some very rare reaction had taken place). A reaction to the vaccine *can* happen, but usually clears up within three weeks. The manufacturers say there can be some local swelling and occasionally a dry abscess. However, you would have known about it before now :)

From the data sheet:

A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination.

And also:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67997.html

Thank you for the advice, as it happens we've had to go to the vets today as I've accidentally hurt his paw so while I was there I got them to check for me! :thumb:

No it wouldn't be connected with the vaccinations (unless some very rare reaction had taken place). A reaction to the vaccine *can* happen, but usually clears up within three weeks. The manufacturers say there can be some local swelling and occasionally a dry abscess. However, you would have known about it before now :)

From the data sheet:

A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination.

And also:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-67997.html

You're right, it wasn't anything to do with his vaccination at all! It was his microchip, we've unfortunately been today for another reason & the vet was looking for it in between his shoulder blades (?) and I was like no it's not there it's in his neck! I showed him, he scanned it and I was right! It still works so it's fine they wouldn't do anything :) which is great. But having to go because I stood on his foot was not so great :-(

You're right, it wasn't anything to do with his vaccination at all! It was his microchip, we've unfortunately been today for another reason & the vet was looking for it in between his shoulder blades (?) and I was like no it's not there it's in his neck! I showed him, he scanned it and I was right! It still works so it's fine they wouldn't do anything :) which is great. But having to go because I stood on his foot was not so great :-(

I'm glad you located the missing microchip!

Yes, I just read your other post about his foot and not eating ...

What I would do before calling the emergency vet is try syringe feeding him something he would find delicious. I have a bunny who's not keen on banana, but will woof down Ella's Kitchen Apple carrot and parsnip baby food. To that you could add a few soaked and softened pellets if you don't have any ready ground recovery food.

If he still doesn't look right by tomorrow morning, I would call the vet again.

I have had this issue with a rabbit, and it did heal up pretty quickly, though in the meantime it was a bit of an issue.

Good luck!

Back