• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Peanut Butter's abscesses

Hi all :wave:

As some of you may remember, one of my bunnies Peanut Butter was diagnosed as having abscesses in both ears following a bout of stasis back in November. Just thought I'd give an update on how we're getting on.

He's been on penicillin injections for the past five weeks and yesterday he had surgery to have them excised as my vet thought the antibiotics alone wouldn't be enough to deal with them. It seems that the penicillin had almost completely obliterated the one on the right hand side, which had always been smaller and more "fluid". The one on the other side had formed a much bigger and harder lump so needed to be removed. The original plan was to excise the entire capsule but unfortunately the vet was unable to do that as it was sitting too deep to fully excavate (I think I've got that right - she did draw me a diagram!) and the "root" of it seems to actually originate much further down. So she cleaned out and removed as much of the abscess as she was able, though it does sound as though she got most of it out. We're going to carry on with the penicillin injections in the hope that will kill off the remainder of it. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be going anywhere near his middle ear.

He also had a dental as well. He's not doing too bad at the moment. He was quite out of sorts last night and first thing this morning, he looked a bit shell shocked actually! He was struggling to eat, he would pick up bits, go to chew and then drop them. Not surprising really as I imagine he is feeling quite tender and chewing must be really uncomfortable. Poor little mite, his whole head must hurt :( The vet has given me metacam to administer at home so hopefully that will make him more comfortable. I also softened his pellets, mixed in some recovery food and fruit puree and he's managed to eat that ok without needing to be syringe fed. A short while ago he also managed to eat some dandelion and readigrass and - just as I started to type this out! - a few strands of hay!

I booked today off work so I can monitor him. I'll keep an eye on how he's eating and will carry on giving him mashed up food if he needs it just to tide him over the next couple of days.

Poor little Peanut Butter :( Yes I can imagine how his whole head must hurt. What a brave little lad though :thumb: And of course he's got his special Oat Readigrass to tempt him now :) I hope that he continues to improve from yesterday's ordeal and that continuing the penicillin will kill the remainder off.

Poor chap, I absolutely HATE all things 'ear infection' related. I hope he will make a good recovery from the op' and that the penicillin will keep on top of any residual infection. If his eating does not pick up and/or if you think he may still be in some discomfort despite being on Metacam you could ask the Vet if PB could be prescribed Tramadol too. With nasty ear infections sometimes Metacam alone is not enough to keep on top of the pain.

Sending lots more vibes for PB xx

Hi all :wave:

As some of you may remember, one of my bunnies Peanut Butter was diagnosed as having abscesses in both ears following a bout of stasis back in November. Just thought I'd give an update on how we're getting on.

He's been on penicillin injections for the past five weeks and yesterday he had surgery to have them excised as my vet thought the antibiotics alone wouldn't be enough to deal with them. It seems that the penicillin had almost completely obliterated the one on the right hand side, which had always been smaller and more "fluid". The one on the other side had formed a much bigger and harder lump so needed to be removed. The original plan was to excise the entire capsule but unfortunately the vet was unable to do that as it was sitting too deep to fully excavate (I think I've got that right - she did draw me a diagram!) and the "root" of it seems to actually originate much further down. So she cleaned out and removed as much of the abscess as she was able, though it does sound as though she got most of it out. We're going to carry on with the penicillin injections in the hope that will kill off the remainder of it. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be going anywhere near his middle ear.

He also had a dental as well. He's not doing too bad at the moment. He was quite out of sorts last night and first thing this morning, he looked a bit shell shocked actually! He was struggling to eat, he would pick up bits, go to chew and then drop them. Not surprising really as I imagine he is feeling quite tender and chewing must be really uncomfortable. Poor little mite, his whole head must hurt :( The vet has given me metacam to administer at home so hopefully that will make him more comfortable. I also softened his pellets, mixed in some recovery food and fruit puree and he's managed to eat that ok without needing to be syringe fed. A short while ago he also managed to eat some dandelion and readigrass and - just as I started to type this out! - a few strands of hay!

I booked today off work so I can monitor him. I'll keep an eye on how he's eating and will carry on giving him mashed up food if he needs it just to tide him over the next couple of days.

Oh my goodness he's been through the mill - and you must have been too!

Vibes for little Peanut Butter to have a swift recovery. I hope the Metacam manages to contain the pain. He seems like a tough little trooper from what you've said!

Good luck!!

Thanks so much for the vibes and well wishes for Peanut Butter :wave:

He's gradually perking up more. He's eaten a bowl of forage and a bowl of readigrass (Omi, I bought that on a whim and I'm so glad I did!) and about ten minutes ago he tucked into a fairly decent amount of the softer meadow hay. He's also been pottering around a bit and grooming. So hopefully this means the meatacam is keeping on top of his pain levels for now. Jane, thanks for the tip on the tramadol. I will keep that in mind in case he starts to struggle again.

He's also passing a good amount of poos. As expected they're smaller than usual but the important thing for now is that they're there! Overall I'm pleased with how he's doing so far :thumb:

It will come as no surprise that he is not president of my fan club at the moment! Can't say I blame him really :lol:

He's gradually perking up more. He's eaten a bowl of forage and a bowl of readigrass (Omi, I bought that on a whim and I'm so glad I did!) and about ten minutes ago he tucked into a fairly decent amount of the softer meadow hay. He's also been pottering around a bit and grooming. So hopefully this means the meatacam is keeping on top of his pain levels for now. Jane, thanks for the tip on the tramadol. I will keep that in mind in case he starts to struggle again.

He's also passing a good amount of poos. As expected they're smaller than usual but the important thing for now is that they're there! Overall I'm pleased with how he's doing so far :thumb:

It will come as no surprise that he is not president of my fan club at the moment! Can't say I blame him really :lol:

What a lovely update!

It sounds as though he has already improved considerably :) I hope the upward trend continues xx

Back