• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does front paws nails grow at the same speed as rear paws nails?

Hind claws seem to grow faster than front, I haven't noticed any difference between winter and summer.

Also, I notice 1 of my bun's nails grow quite a bit faster in the summer vs. the winter. Any reason for that?

Human hair and nails grow faster in summer than winter, so I think that would be about right for bunnies as well.

The front/rear paw question could be related to the surface they hop about on. Concrete or other hard surface will keep nails trim.

in the fall / winter, starting Oct., I don't let them go outdoor, and everyone stays indoor. ANd the entire house is on brand new carpet, less than 1 yr. old. So the surface is carpet, I don't know whether front / rear paws makes a difference.

Today, once again, I trim my 2 buns' nails. I didn't notice a significant difference on my Dutch bun, but on my mini rex, clearly his rear paws nails is longer.

My other problem is, his nail is black, so I don't know how much to trim. However, 1 of his nail is white. So I use that nail as a gauge, when I use the dremel to sand it down, I tap it 10 times for e.g., so w/ the other nails, I tap them 10 times.

But his rear paws is longer, and I can only do the same no. of times as was his front paws, because I don't want to over do it. So in the end, his end paws is most likely still longer than the front after trimming

can I get a 2nd opinion on this? Forget winter and summer, Tonibun said rear clws grow faster, is that so? If so, how come?

Nails grow better in summer because there is better peripheral blood circulation? In winter, the paws will be colder and circulation (therefore nutrients) not as good.

I like the blood circulation theory. As to digging, there isn't much to dig around here, soil is soft (It's top soil)

I just buy the light grey color cap to screw on to the dremel, as it's a universal cap that fits most dremel, once it fits in, it works very nicely. And I got the idea from the local vet hospital, as that's what they use

mine run about on flagstones so ive not had to cut nails yet but come winter when they are not out as much i will need all the help i can get lol.. might just take them the vet but with 8 of them that will be quite a few trips lol..

You can use any torch, even the light on a smart phone! Quite a lot of people like to put a piece of paper in between the torch and claw just so it isn't too bright if the bun decides to look into it.

I've never tried it but from what I have heard, it works really well!

Back